ABF | 2023 Contract Proposals

Steward of the Rock

TB Veteran
Credits
I know that our current contract does not expire until July 1st of 2023, but I thought that it would be a good idea to start talking contract proposals for the 2023 contract. One thing that I (and a few others) have thought would be a good proposal to submit would be on some sort of pandemic language (mainly pay) so that if there is another pandemic in the future, we would be better prepared for it. After all, we are considered "ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES" and are required to continue doing our jobs as usual which exposes all of us to this virus. Another one of my thoughts for a proposal would be for double time pay for the sixth day worked as well as the seventh day. Here at 004, they have decided to offer this sixth day pay at double time until we can get caught up again. My thinking is that if they can afford it now, there is no reason that they cannot afford to pay it all the time. I would love to hear other proposals from everyone else so that when the time comes for submitting proposals, we are all prepared to do so. Who knows, we may actually get some major changes to the contract in our favor by doing so.

A 5 day work week for linehaul is what I would like like to see. They could have Sun-Thurs, Mon-Fri, Tues-Sat, Weds-Sun, etc. The company would still have drivers to move freight on the weekend and the drivers would have scheduled days off. Maybe then extra board drivers could have somewhat of a normal life. Just my thought.

I know that our current contract does not expire until July 1st of 2023, but I thought that it would be a good idea to start talking contract proposals for the 2023 contract. One thing that I (and a few others) have thought would be a good proposal to submit would be on some sort of pandemic language (mainly pay) so that if there is another pandemic in the future, we would be better prepared for it. After all, we are considered "ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES" and are required to continue doing our jobs as usual which exposes all of us to this virus. Another one of my thoughts for a proposal would be for double time pay for the sixth day worked as well as the seventh day. Here at 004, they have decided to offer this sixth day pay at double time until we can get caught up again. My thinking is that if they can afford it now, there is no reason that they cannot afford to pay it all the time. I would love to hear other proposals from everyone else so that when the time comes for submitting proposals, we are all prepared to do so. Who knows, we may actually get some major changes to the contract in our favor by doing so.
How about another sick or personal day. When was the last contract that got us anymore time off ( not counting the week we got back last contract)....

How about another sick or personal day. When was the last contract that got us anymore time off ( not counting the week we got back last contract)....
Used to be 10 sick days in 80s but we voted to give it away

4 hours penalty is not enough working on a holiday for the road, city get triple time. If you want us to work on the holiday, pay us 8 hour penalty. Or made the holiday a option for us to choose to work or be off.
You are absolutely right. If we are offered holiday work in the dock/hostle/city classification we are paid double time plus 8 hours holiday pay (Southern Region). I have always wondered why the road only got an extra 4 hours for working a holiday. That definately needs to be fixed.

I could not agree more. It would be nice to have an additional three or four unpaid sick/personal days as well. That way, you would not have a warning letter waiting on you once you miss the sixth day.

Last edited:
A 5 day work week for linehaul is what I would like like to see. They could have Sun-Thurs, Mon-Fri, Tues-Sat, Weds-Sun, etc. The company would still have drivers to move freight on the weekend and the drivers would have scheduled days off. Maybe then extra board drivers could have somewhat of a normal life. Just my thought.
I wonder if there is a way to set the bids that are five days and bids that are six days. That way, the ones that want the 6th day every week could still get it while those that wanted a five day work week could get it as well. I don't have a lot of knowledge on how the roadside works as I am a bid hostler.

how about a retention bonus for the amount of years of service
My brother runs for a dairy owned by Dean Foods. when they filed for bankruptcy, his started offering 1000 dollars if they would agree to stay and keep working for a year. I think they also offered more to agree to two years

I wonder if there is a way to set the bids that are five days and bids that are six days. That way, the ones that want the 6th day every week could still get it while those that wanted a five day work week could get it as well. I don't have a lot of knowledge on how the roadside works as I am a bid hostler.
They could just make them 6 day bids with the option to drop your 6th trip just like it is with destination bids. This way you could still work the 6th trip if you wanted to and still have a dedicated day off. I’m sure ABF is smart enough to figure it out. All the non union companies have....

6 days work, 5 paid to pension has to be fixed. giving new hires sign on bonuses and long timers nothing? how is hiring a contractual employee earning a bonus fair. 1 contract 1 set of rules regarding compensation. not necessarily contractual, but maybe work rules, but dinosaur rules and drivers, protection rules.. a 7.5 hour turn ran in 12 hours and driver 1 holds up driver 2? members need to be involved not just stewards and B.A's..

6 days work, 5 paid to pension has to be fixed. giving new hires sign on bonuses and long timers nothing? how is hiring a contractual employee earning a bonus fair. 1 contract 1 set of rules regarding compensation. not necessarily contractual, but maybe work rules, but dinosaur rules and drivers, protection rules.. a 7.5 hour turn ran in 12 hours and driver 1 holds up driver 2? members need to be involved not just stewards and B.A's..
You are absolutely right. We all need to get involved to make positive changes.

How about management accountability? If you run the ship into the iceberg year after year it hurts all of us as a company. What they lose at the terminal level could effect the outcome of almost everything we bargain for....

They got rid of minimum and maximum hours to run a run along time ago. In central anyway. Drivers do you have an hour of protection so a guy that skips his breaks can’t go “get dispatched” ahead of you on your next tour.