FedEx Freight | 2nd Job

Can Anyone Tell Me Fedex Rules On Having Second Job, If Any Hours- Days, Or Not At All?

Your best bet is to ask your service center manager. You did not state if you are East or West or if you are a driver or something else.
If you are a driver it would be pretty hard to log your current job and then drive for someone else and log that legal. On the other hand if you drive a yard dog and work a second job where you don't drive, I don't see a problem, except you don't get much sleep. Hope this help a little bit. :smilie_132:

Can Anyone Tell Me Fedex Rules On Having Second Job, If Any Hours- Days, Or Not At All?
:smilie_132: i work on the express side of fedex. i`ve worked several companies along with fedex over the last six years. their say along with other ltl companies is the d.o.t. hours that are involved. they call it moonlighting, it is their policy manual (fxf) as well, so be careful.my personal thought is i do what i have 2 do 2 take care of my family even if it means working 2 jobs in which is what i personally do. good luck.:hide:

Just recently we had to sign a form stating something to the effect that under NO circumstances would we work for a competitor while working for fedex frt. due to conflict of interest, and that if we had any other employment that we would report it to fedex frt.

By federal D.O.T law i'm pretty sure that any compensated employment of any kind must be logged if you drive truck at any of the employers, for reasons of hours of service.

I supose if it were paid under the table (cash) no one would be the wiser, But if you recieve a check that taxes have been deducted from and paid to the goverment then a paper trail exists.

Personally i would be upfront and honest with fedex frt. because it seems like they find out more than they don't, weather it be coincedence or someone you thought was a friend running thier mouth to the wrong person, But thats each individual's choice to make.

:1036316054:

Pretty sure you can work a second job. Just have to be up front with it.
Pretty sure it can't be with a competitor but I have known city drivers picking up a few extra dollars driving dump trucks and tankers on the weekends. As long as you don't go over your 60 hour week.
Any type of documented work goes against your 60. If there's a record of your employment such as taxes SS, you should report it to CCM. If you put in 10 hours at local McDonalds it's counts towards your 60.
Undocumented work like under the table grass cutting or snow removal. Would be judgement call. They'd probably want you to report it but unless they asked, I wouldn't tell.

We had one of our hostlers (in AF days) that worked for TNT Dugan on the weekends loading their city routes.

roog

Pretty sure you can work a second job. Just have to be up front with it.
Pretty sure it can't be with a competitor but I have known city drivers picking up a few extra dollars driving dump trucks and tankers on the weekends. As long as you don't go over your 60 hour week.
Any type of documented work goes against your 60. If there's a record of your employment such as taxes SS, you should report it to CCM. If you put in 10 hours at local McDonalds it's counts towards your 60.
Undocumented work like under the table grass cutting or snow removal. Would be judgement call. They'd probably want you to report it but unless they asked, I wouldn't tell.

At our barn we use the 70 hour 8 day dot rules. One of our previous dispatchers told us if we work a second job to just keep it to our selves. He said use the don't ask don't tell theary

I worked at yellow freight about 18 months. I know guys who work at ups preloading routes now.Keep your personal business personal.

No policy against it. You can pull up the information on this from the intranet by searching "Hours of Service/Local and Road Drivers"

Pretty much says the following...

Whether the work is performed by a local or road driver, a log must be executed showing work performed, just as if the work was performed for FedEx. The log must detail driving time, on duty-not driving and off duty time. If the work for another carrier occurs on the same day as work performed for FedEx, both activities must be shown on the same log. The log must also specify what time on the log was spent working for each carrier. Each motor carrier's name may be shown in the remarks section, specifying what time period involved each motor carrier. An example would be: "time working for FedEx Freight" and "time working for ABC Cartage". This must be clarified for payroll purposes, and is required by the regulations. Each time a driver works for another motor carrier, he/she must execute a log, along with an hours of service recap, and submit it to center management prior to the beginning of the next tour of duty or day's work for FedEx Freight.

Same goes for a Non-Motor Carrier... But must be shown as On Duty/Not Driving.

In a nut-shell.. If you are being compensated for work away from FedEx, Log it, and have the log and recap available.

Just a word of caution the other day I was going home in my personal vehicle and was pulled over by a trooper. This was about 5:30 pm when I reported to work at 6:30 am the next morning two people asked me why I was pulled over. So if you get my drift?
Oh yeah can you say court supervision?

We were told at FXNL that we were not allowed to work part-time for any other carrier ltl or truckload. Many of us knew of places we could run on weekends or other days that we were not scheduled to work. It sure would have helped to hang in better during the transition. TM says this came straight from HR.

There is also a policy titled Outside Employment that prohibits full time employees from working for LTL competitors or for vendors or suppliers of FedEx Freight.

And as others have stated, there is a form to notify the company that you have outside employement.

FXF OAF

There is also a policy titled Outside Employment that prohibits full time employees from working for LTL competitors or for vendors or suppliers of FedEx Freight.

And as others have stated, there is a form to notify the company that you have outside employement.

FXF OAF

Sorry old AF. We had MR. Sheridan Garrison in or center years back,and we told him some of us had jobs with other carriers on the weekends, he said there is nothing wrong with that as long as it dosen't interfere with your job here. I bring this up because every time we ask our present day management to change things they tell us that Mr Garrison built the best ltl truckline there is and are going to keep it his way. So untill MR Garrison returns to tell me different I'll go by his word, also this wasn't part of "condition of employment" with fxfe. Of course they could pay me for my off hours and I will gladly do what they ask. What I do off the clock is my business as long as I don"t violate DOT rules.

Sorry old AF. We had MR. Sheridan Garrison in or center years back,and we told him some of us had jobs with other carriers on the weekends, he said there is nothing wrong with that as long as it dosen't interfere with your job here. I bring this up because every time we ask our present day management to change things they tell us that Mr Garrison built the best ltl truckline there is and are going to keep it his way. So untill MR Garrison returns to tell me different I'll go by his word, also this wasn't part of "condition of employment" with fxfe. Of course they could pay me for my off hours and I will gladly do what they ask. What I do off the clock is my business as long as I don"t violate DOT rules.

Good luck with that one in court. Please remember that FxF has several hundred of the finest attorneys from Harvard, Stanford and Yale on staff, and a couple of thousand more on retainer. You'll hire the local version of Jacoby and Meyers, and when they lose at the pretrial hearing, get slapped with paying FxF's attorney's fees. They'll laugh all the way to the bank...and you'll cry all the way to Walmart to apply for a job stocking shelves.

:biglaugh:

We at FXNL had to sign a form that stated we were not allowed to work for another carrier and it is also against Fed Dot regs to not report hours worked for another carrier to your present employer, sad but true.

Good luck with that one in court. Please remember that FxF has several hundred of the finest attorneys from Harvard, Stanford and Yale on staff, and a couple of thousand more on retainer. You'll hire the local version of Jacoby and Meyers, and when they lose at the pretrial hearing, get slapped with paying FxF's attorney's fees. They'll laugh all the way to the bank...and you'll cry all the way to Walmart to apply for a job stocking shelves.
:biglaugh:
What you do on your own time, off duty, and off company premises, so long as it is legal, is YOUR OWN BUISNESS. That includes working at another place of employment, doing another job for compensation. (Compensation means a paycheck, MrFxFw)
Why does this seem to be so hard to comprehend? :duh:

What you do on your own time, off duty, and off company premises, so long as it is legal, is YOUR OWN BUISNESS. That includes working at another place of employment, doing another job for compensation. (Compensation means a paycheck, MrFxFw)
Why does this seem to be so hard to comprehend? :duh:

Call it what ever you wan't MagicMan, Fedex has policys against it, so when you do it and they find out and you find yourself in the unemployment line , Remember it was "YOUR OWN BUSINESS" my friend.