ODFL | 30 Minute Break

Marty McFly

TB Lurker
Credits
After all the waiting they finally approve the revised HOS rule on the 30 minute off duty break to now it can be satisfied with 30 consecutive on duty not driving time effective 9/29 I believe. Drop, hook, fuel and get paperwork can kill 30 minutes on duty fairly easily and your good to go, but, OD is not gonna recognize this and still require the 30 minutes off duty. Thoughts?

My TM said they weren't going to police it only gonna look at what the dot would look at. I think its a CYA move on there part for all the liberal states that will be crying that we don't get a break anymore, like they did in California.

After all the waiting they finally approve the revised HOS rule on the 30 minute off duty break to now it can be satisfied with 30 consecutive on duty not driving time effective 9/29 I believe. Drop, hook, fuel and get paperwork can kill 30 minutes on duty fairly easily and your good to go, but, OD is not gonna recognize this and still require the 30 minutes off duty. Thoughts?

why in the world would you not want a lunch break? Truckers only industry where the newbs want to be overworked and abused.

why in the world would you not want a lunch break? Truckers only industry where the newbs want to be overworked and abused.
It has always amazed me, Billo, the guys at all these companies making it sound like that 30 minute break just causes so many bad things, like
Getting done earlier
Not getting caught in rush hour traffic
Could get to the early closers faster, and so on. And if they came out with an HOS regulation saying the company don’t have to give you a break, the whining would go the other way.

It has always amazed me, Billo, the guys at all these companies making it sound like that 30 minute break just causes so many bad things, like
Getting done earlier
Not getting caught in rush hour traffic
Could get to the early closers faster, and so on. And if they came out with an HOS regulation saying the company don’t have to give you a break, the whining would go the other way.
I was a P&D driver for OD for many years, yes city guys most certainly do deserve a break during the day but linehaul is a different beast, we aren’t in and out of the truck all day loading and unloading freight. When you are 5 minutes from being done for the night and you got 2 minutes till break and you gotta park off duty for 30 minutes to be legal sucks. Give us the option to take the thirty or ride on.

I wouldn't have a problem twidling my thumbs every day for 30 minutes if the OD gods would just get with the times and turn the trucks up to 68 to 70. Every year at raise time I always think to myself just save the raise and turn the truck up to save me time everyday. That's on that list of never going to happen right there with overtime.

It truly amazes me that so many people fight the idea of taking a break on the job. Unions decades ago fought for the ability of workers to have meal and rest breaks and now dummies want to avoid taking them and instead work like robotic machines instead of humans. And the BS that road drivers don't need breaks is crap also. If you can't time your run properly so that you are forced to take your 30 just two minutes from your terminal just means you're not using much smarts. Spare me the whining.

I wouldn't have a problem twidling my thumbs every day for 30 minutes if the OD gods would just get with the times and turn the trucks up to 68 to 70. Every year at raise time I always think to myself just save the raise and turn the truck up to save me time everyday. That's on that list of never going to happen right there with overtime.
Depends on what region you’re at. Different regions have different speed zones. Also, why worry about the truck being turned up, learn to drive with the tools we have.

Sitting in the truck with it parked is more like serving a forced detention time than a break, and all it does is extend my workday by 30 minutes. I would much rather get home a half hour earlier.
I take my 30 minutes. Now sitting in your tractor is your choice. I don’t, I get out and socialize with the locals in the various communities that I choose to take my break in. Getting home 30 minutes earlier, really. Here’s how I get in earlier, using my time better. Less bullshit and more focus on the end goal.

I’m sure that my previous 2 posts will ruffle some feathers, that’s not my intention. I speak from experience. I’ve learned through the years that wasting my energy and time trying to change things, that won’t be changed is a complete waste of my time. With that being said I focus on what I can do within company and DOT guidelines to improve my time on the road and how to use the engine, transmission, compression brakes, cruise control, momentum and gravity to improve my speed or ability to climb mountains. I understand that the city and even some line runs might not be able to do this, but that’s one of the reasons I enjoy my run. Mountains, steep grades and lot’s of curves on a 2 lane.

I’m sure that my previous 2 posts will ruffle some feathers, that’s not my intention. I speak from experience. I’ve learned through the years that wasting my energy and time trying to change things, that won’t be changed is a complete waste of my time. With that being said I focus on what I can do within company and DOT guidelines to improve my time on the road and how to use the engine, transmission, compression brakes, cruise control, momentum and gravity to improve my speed or ability to climb mountains. I understand that the city and even some line runs might not be able to do this, but that’s one of the reasons I enjoy my run. Mountains, steep grades and lot’s of curves on a 2 lane.[/QUOTE
I think it would be great if the FMCSA lobbied to lower truck speed back to 60-65. And everyone would still complain, and arrive in the same time they do now.

We need 30 min breaks and trucks at the remained governed speeds. If you haven’t noticed we have many tools fresh from the docks and driving schools that will push the truck well over 70 in a 60 if they were able to. And by seeing on the many Od pages all of the trucks on their sides maybe a 30 minute nap in the middle of your shift wouldn’t be a bad thing? You can always tell the reckless and uneducated drivers that have funny reasons not to take a break that many others have worked so hard for workers to have the right to over the years.

Some line drivers don’t take that break already like the driver I see in the mornings doing 3 mph in our yard to hook his set in half a hour

Agreed. Just let him get caught. Falsifying a log book.

the thing is been seeing some do it for a year now daily, do they even look for that stuff?? I seen in their cabs when their door open and the cortex bar is on off duty or break for proof,, some kid that must run between sea and pdx maybe oly always doing that, then when break over he speeding as fast he can to the exit gate slamming the brakes,, some real da’s we hiring

Most recently I've heard from a safety guy that the computers will actually be updated for the new hours of service. However corporate isn't wanting us to use them and we may be written up if we do. Stated if enough people complained maybe they would adopt. it's basically just usual OD, nothing makes any sense, why should people have to complain and then anymore corporate doesn't care if people complain. I guess my point here is I just didn't find any of this unusual...it's just OD as usual. So if you needed to burn a break on duty or even perhaps use the new adverse conditions it might be there, it might not, you're on your own you might get written up you might not lol. Honestly anymore you're better off not asking questions, just do and ask for mercy later if needed.