XPO | 70 hour work week ?

Yep!...we did some of those things in the distant past...

But that was a different company back then...different mindset as opposed to today and much different economy.

Con-Way must change their M.O. or die. Back yonder we did everything ourselves...not so anymore. We had a much smaller service area. Now everything is more and bigger...to the nth degree!

More...more...more...with less. John the Wonderdog is going to change things in ways you have never dreamed of in you tenure at Con-Way.

Bookmark this post and then refer to it a year from now!

Rat

And no, we did ALL those things in the past.

At my SC only the last DSR that dispatches to any FAC works 70 hours. Due to the increase of P/T dock workers DSR's are kicked out of the FAC as soon as possible. I'm near the bottom of the lineboard. Only 2 of us on the board work 70 hours. Everyone else on the board average 60 hours.

This rumor has been floating around again for the old conway central .. any opinions?

I think you need to figure out the advantages, if any, a 70 hour log would have over a 60. What are the major operating differences? Both are limited to 14 hours per day and require a 34 hour reset, right? To go to a 70 hour log there would have to be a need to operate 6 or 7 days in a row. I don't see this in the central operation right now. The only part of central operating past five days is the sub-carriers. I personally do not see any advantage of changing. As far as the possibility of changing the policy on overtime (paying OT after ten instead of eight), I don't see where this is connected to the difference in hours of service (60 vs 70).

As far as full time dockworkers, I think the challenge for the company after last November's downsizing is finding quality drivers as we recover business. I see a change in operation method. I believe the next downturn in business will see dock workers discharged first, putting drivers back on the dock. Once levels improve, part-time dockworkers would be promoted to full-time as we are seeing now.

What's important is that we realize that we will loose quality in the handling of our freight and we should all take an active role communicating an awareness of all aspects of our business to those on the dock and teaching them an understanding of that what we do is for the customer, not just that supervisor looking to close the reship on time.

I think you need to figure out the advantages, if any, a 70 hour log would have over a 60. What are the major operating differences? Both are limited to 14 hours per day and require a 34 hour reset, right? To go to a 70 hour log there would have to be a need to operate 6 or 7 days in a row. I don't see this in the central operation right now. The only part of central operating past five days is the sub-carriers. I personally do not see any advantage of changing. As far as the possibility of changing the policy on overtime (paying OT after ten instead of eight), I don't see where this is connected to the difference in hours of service (60 vs 70).

As far as full time dockworkers, I think the challenge for the company after last November's downsizing is finding quality drivers as we recover business. I see a change in operation method. I believe the next downturn in business will see dock workers discharged first, putting drivers back on the dock. Once levels improve, part-time dockworkers would be promoted to full-time as we are seeing now.

What's important is that we realize that we will loose quality in the handling of our freight and we should all take an active role communicating an awareness of all aspects of our business to those on the dock and teaching them an understanding of that what we do is for the customer, not just that supervisor looking to close the reship on time.
On a 60 hour log if you work 14 hours per day you only have 4 hours available for the 5th day where with a 70 hour log you would have 14 hours available.

No more having to run short. I keep reading it but where are these Sunday runs at. Not at Central since I've been here.

No more having to run short. I keep reading it but where are these Sunday runs at. Not at Central since I've been here.

I did two a few years ago and have seen it many times in the last few months. I ran Milton for a Sunday morning FAC a few years back and went to pick two from an FAC on a Sunday evening around that time. A bunch of drivers ran Hagerstown a few weeks back for a Sunday FAC. A few weeks ago I saw a bunch of our trucks on I80 on a Sunday evening. It happens.

If we do start to have runs where there will be laydown runs, Con-Way will have bunkhouses.They won't pay for a motel. There would be a mobile office trailer out front in the employee parking lot with cots in it. That would be the cheap way to do it. Oh boy, Breakfast out of the sandwich machine.

you are correct driver, out here on the west coast, we've been running 70 hours for years. Makes for long weeks, but the checks are nice. It's not so bad when there's no back-out on Friday, at least your getting home at your regular time. Also if the O/B crews would do like their supposed to and load pures and head-loads, wouldn't be so bad on sat morning.

keep the rubber side down c'mon!!!

If we do start to have runs where there will be laydown runs, Con-Way will have bunkhouses.They won't pay for a motel. There would be a mobile office trailer out front in the employee parking lot with cots in it. That would be the cheap way to do it. Oh boy, Breakfast out of the sandwich machine.

Oh Yeah!

I love that warm and fuzzy institutional feeling I get from sleeping on rubber coated mattresses. And it's so much easier to rest in close quarters with smelly feet and snoring.

And thank goodness Conway has set the bar in retarding the spread of communicable diseases by posting signs that we should cover our mouths when we sneeze and that we should wash our hands. This alone makes me believe I would never catch anything in the mobile bunkhouse. Am sure that all that can be sanitized will be sanitized. Do Conway drivers ever go to bed stinky?