TForce | 90% of Bids

They can not put a the # of bids in the contract. The bids will increase or decrease with freight levels. That is why there will be bids done on a semi-annual basis.

Why do you guys continue to get hung up on this? All road drivers bid on bids. Extra-board is a bid. So is mini-hub and so is fill-in. The top 90% are the ones guaranteed the 40 hours.

Using O's scenario, the TM only posts 10 spots for 20 drivers... WTF is he talking about? What do the other 10 drivers do? Is he for real?

Sounds to me like you all need to get focused here.

no, the point I am making is nowhere does it list extraboard as a bid job.

UPGF, did you read what I posted what ups is doing here in fla?

Exactly, the managers are not going to be able to pull some arbitrary # out of @ss. That is what the grievance is for, unfair labor practice.:1036316054:

Just one thing you have to remember here. If he does pull something out of his a$$, you do it and grieve later. I learned this the hard way when I was young. I got fired because I refused an order even though it was a violation of my seniority. I wound up getting a two day suspension, but the point is: follow orders, then file a grievance. Also out here in Colorado, we have a 90-10 for the dock-city board. 90% have a bid. They can bid dock, a specific city route, a heavy duty run, shuttle run to EOLs, combo-dock some days city other days or hostler. The contract allows for a certain amount of start times, but you are guaranteed 8 hours at your start time. If there is not enough work in your bid, you are allowed to go elsewhere by seniority. For example, if it is slow and they don't need all their 4am hostlers, you are allowed to go to the dock. Jobs are offered top down, forced bottom up. I can go into more detail, but this is the way it is in Denver. Obviously, it is different elsewhere.

UPGF, did you read what I posted what ups is doing here in fla?

I did. Extra board is a bid position according to Overnite/UPS Freight language. At other companies a bid is a schedule. Here schedules and bids are different. If I'm the top driver and I have the first bid, no matter what position I put my name on, it's a bid. The same goes for the last guy. He still has a bid, but he's a 10 percenter and won't be guaranteed the 40 hours.

As for what's happening down there, the guys who are getting bumped for the contractors are still going to get paid, if they're in the top 90%. And if they're getting paid, then they're going to get work. The alternative is to lay them off, but they won't be able to do that if they're using contractors.

larry, That is somthing the package guys have told me over and over the managers say, "work now, file later"

upgf, I hope it works that way but I don't think it will. Your hoping it is going to get inturpreted the way you say. But it does not say.

Just one thing you have to remember here. If he does pull something out of his a$$, you do it and grieve later. I learned this the hard way when I was young. I got fired because I refused an order even though it was a violation of my seniority. I wound up getting a two day suspension, but the point is: follow orders, then file a grievance. Also out here in Colorado, we have a 90-10 for the dock-city board. 90% have a bid. They can bid dock, a specific city route, a heavy duty run, shuttle run to EOLs, combo-dock some days city other days or hostler. The contract allows for a certain amount of start times, but you are guaranteed 8 hours at your start time. If there is not enough work in your bid, you are allowed to go elsewhere by seniority. For example, if it is slow and they don't need all their 4am hostlers, you are allowed to go to the dock. Jobs are offered top down, forced bottom up. I can go into more detail, but this is the way it is in Denver. Obviously, it is different elsewhere.

You're not talking about Overnite. I've never heard of such a thing here.

One more comment to clarify the bid/schedule language. If only a schedule is a bid, then why have the 90% language in the contract? Aren't all the schedules run at least 99% of the time? And most of them are for more than 50 hours each week, meaning that missing one day wouldn't require them to pay you for the lost work day because you'd still be getting 40 hours.

At my terminal, 100% of our schedule drivers get 40 hours 100% of the time.

I think I figuired it out,

only "90% of fulltime employees are guaranteed 8 hours" And it says your bidding on the start time.

Why is it worded like that? Why not just say 90% of fulltime employees are guaranteed 8 hours?

Why, becuase if you read article 18 section 2 it says

"the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

this means extraboard is probaly not a bid position like someone else said the 90% is getting smaller.

It is not 90% of fulltime employees it is 90% of bids.

One more comment to clarify the bid/schedule language. If only a schedule is a bid, then why have the 90% language in the contract? Aren't all the schedules run at least 99% of the time? And most of them are for more than 50 hours each week, meaning that missing one day wouldn't require them to pay you for the lost work day because you'd still be getting 40 hours.

At my terminal, 100% of our schedule drivers get 40 hours 100% of the time.

I don't know if I'm the right one to answer this one, because I don't know if you are talking road or city. All I know about the road bid here is that it is a 65% bid, I think. They are bid runs to a certain location, but if I said any more, I would be lying. But in the city, you bid a job at a start time for 5 eight hour days or 4 ten hour days. In conjunction with this, we have a unique rule at this barn that does not apply anywhere else. We have a UA policy. UA means unexcused absence. A person is allowed three of these per month. A late punch-in, early punch-out without permission or no-show without a doctor's excuse is a UA. This is a strict policy, and there is no better way to get fired than to abuse this policy. I only bring this up to make the point that they want your services each day. It also goes to the discussions here about different policies in different places.

One more thing that I think applies here. You are guaranteed time-and-a-half after 8 and after 40. When you talk about all your jobs taking at least 40 hours and usually 50 hours, they have to pay you OT for those hours after 8 each day or after 40 each week.

only "90% of fulltime employees are guaranteed 8 hours" And it says your bidding on the start time.

Why is it worded like that? Why not just say 90% of fulltime employees are guaranteed 8 hours?

"the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

this means extraboard is probaly not a bid position like someone else said the 90% is getting smaller.

I've thought a lot about what you are saying here, and this is my view. 90% of full-time employees are guaranteed 40 hours. And you are right, there is a percentage, 10% here, that have no bid, so that they are available at the company's need. In the small EOL that I worked at, it was 80-20. With so many fewer workers, they needed to have more flexibility. And whenever the workload drops off enough to necessitate layoffs, they have the right to lay off 10% maximum per week. And, of course, a new 90% would be established by how many were working after the layoff.

I typed that part wrong It should of said: only "90% of fulltime bids are guaranteed 8 hours" And it says your bidding on the start time.

I typed that part wrong It should of said: only "90% of fulltime bids are guaranteed 8 hours" And it says your bidding on the start time.

That doesn't make sense to me.

From what we were told is that what your current workload is they will negotiate with your terminal and regional managers to continue the same amount of workers. Which is why I would suggest that everyone get a copy of your current start time sheet showing how many drivers are currently working because if your terminal is still moving the same amount of freight when the new bid comes they will have to continue to use the same amount of drivers or the union will file a grievence. You are guaranteed eight hours if you come in any day. So if they bring you in at 3pm and the work load ends at 7pm and told to go home you will still be paid for 8hrs. Bottom line is the part timers will be the first ones to go if we start to slow down anymore.

Lets us see here? The choice of the word only, as to 90%? Only is better used to describe , only 10% will not be guaranteed 8 hours ans a 40 hour workweek. I don't think using the word "only 90%" sounds right. 9 out of 10 is alot more than "only'. :1036316054:

The wording says "90% of ft bids will be guaranteed 8 hours a day" It does not say 90% of ft employees will be guaranteed 8 hrs. It also says your bidding on the start time.

It also says "Notwithstanding the above, the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

The wording says "90% of ft bids will be guaranteed 8 hours a day" It does not say 90% of ft employees will be guaranteed 8 hrs. It also says your bidding on the start time.

It also says "Notwithstanding the above, the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

Unless your contract is totally different than what I am accustomed to, the last sentence would be in reference to the 10%. And as was posted earlier, let me use the language in my contract. "Any regular employee called and reporting for duty shall be guaranteed a minimum of eight hours pay at the regular hourly rate." Here is another quote. "Where the work week is now limited to Monday through Friday eighty percent of the regular dock and truck helper employees shall be guaranteed forty hours of work or pay. In any terminal utilizing the language in Article 64, Section 1(a) above, ninety percent shall be guaranteed forty hours of work or pay. It is agreed that the standard forty hour work week need not apply to ten percent or twenty percent of the regular employees in any classification, with a minimum of one."

From what you have posted, it doesn't sound like your language is much different than this.