TForce | 90% of Bids

Larry, your contract states the ft employee is guaranteed 40 hours a week, correct?

Ours does not, it states only ft bid positions are guaranteed hours.

as long as extraboard is a bid position then everything is fine, if it is not a bid position which I don't think it is then there is a problem.

Larry, your contract states the ft employee is guaranteed 40 hours a week, correct?

Ours does not, it states only ft bid positions are guaranteed hours.

as long as extraboard is a bid position then everything is fine, if it is not a bid position which I don't think it is then there is a problem.

God, you always confuse me. We must be comparing apples and oranges. My contract states that 90% of all full-time employees are guaranteed 40 hours. If yours say that only full-time bid positions are guaranteed hours, I am saying true, because they, the top 90% of your total workforce, are guaranteed a bid start time. Are you a road driver? The reason I ask is because you refer to an extraboard. We only have an extraboard in road, in city it is just called the bottom ten percent or simply percenters.

Lets get this straight.. Spoke to the BA, He advised that 90% of BID employees are guaranteed 8 hours. Which means if a terminal only has 20 drivers and 10 bids, 9 are guaranteed 8 hours out of the 20 drivers. This was straight out of the BA's mouth. So It is not 90% of employees but it will all come down to the amount of bids that is negotiated between the SCM and Local. They will be the ones responsible for determining how many bids there will be.

Lets get this straight.. Spoke to the BA, He advised that 90% of BID employees are guaranteed 8 hours. Which means if a terminal only has 20 drivers and 10 bids, 9 are guaranteed 8 hours out of the 20 drivers. This was straight out of the BA's mouth. So It is not 90% of employees but it will all come down to the amount of bids that is negotiated between the SCM and Local. They will be the ones responsible for determining how many bids there will be.

I don't believe it. Based on that scenario, you could have 500 employees and the company decides to have only 10 bids. Only 9 employees out of 500 would be guaranteed 8 hours. Now does that sound realistic? How about just one bid? Then they don't have to guarantee anyone 8 hours.

I don't believe it. Based on that scenario, you could have 500 employees and the company decides to have only 10 bids. Only 9 employees out of 500 would be guaranteed 8 hours. Now does that sound realistic? How about just one bid? Then they don't have to guarantee anyone 8 hours.

The contract also states that the company must maintain a sufficient workforce to handle workloads......?

The contract also states that the company must maintain a sufficient workforce to handle workloads......?

I was just giving that as an example that he gave me. But he did say expect an average of 60-70% of the workforce with a bid. which will mean that 30-40% will not have a bid. So in effect, we could be as high as 40-50% of the entire workforce not guaranteed 8 hours.

Don't shoot the messenger. :Bondage:

It kind of contridicts the term, FULLTIME. Fulltime in this state is 40HRS.

yes it says "Notwithstanding the above, the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

If these jobs do not have a posted start time or schedule how can they be bids?

yes it says "Notwithstanding the above, the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

Excellent point, they can't. Something is very confusing here. The point I made is still applicable regardless of how many employees there are. If they only have to guarantee 90% of bid employees an 8 hour day, they can screw you royal by setting the bid at some ridiculously low number. I'm way out of my element here. There is something here that is so foreign to what I am accustomed to that I have no business in this discussion.

I am stubborn, I could not believe what you were all telling me, so I went and read this clause in your contract many, many times. You have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure that out. So I went back to Kennesaw Kid's original post, and I don't understand that either. Sorry for arguing with you all, this is totally Greek to me.

“Past Practices” are applicable to this language as well...

Each and every terminal I'm sure post a daily working schedule...

This working schedule shows your current bid runs (peddle areas) as well as how many unassigned drivers that you currently operate under on a daily basis...

So, right there you have what is already understood to be...

Your established bid runs...

(Hopefully someone at your terminal has been making copies of these postings and retaining this information to be used once it comes time for establishing your first bid sheet)

This total is reflective of your 90%

(it could in all actuality be more… if your terminal is listing spots for every person on your seniority list)

Those that are required to call in on a daily basis… are reflecting the 10%

(if any person… from the 10%... is brought in to work… then they are guaranteed “8 hours” for that day)

It was also made clear… that legally the company was only required to guarantee 75%...

That we were already ahead of the game by it being documented as 90%...

And the likelihood that this figure would in all actuality figure out to be 100% working daily based on current work schedules posted (as indicated above) :1036316054:

They are not bids, this is in referance to "Volume Loads" or extra peddles. Late starts for pickups, I am assuming this is in referance too wild runs. From day to day due to freight volume they may need two city drivers in one area as opposed to the single. Volume runs that must be delivered early AM. Appointments. and so on and so on.

This working schedule shows your current bid runs (peddle areas) as well as how many unassigned drivers that you currently operate under on a daily basis...

(Hopefully someone at your terminal has been making copies of these postings and retaining this information to be used once it comes time for establishing your first bid sheet)

(it could in all actuality be more… if your terminal is listing spots for every person on your seniority list)

(if any person… from the 10%... is brought in to work… then they are guaranteed “8 hours” for that day)

It was also made clear… that legally the company was only required to guarantee 75%...

And the likelihood that this figure would in all actuality figure out to be 100% working daily based on current work schedules posted (as indicated above) :1036316054:

There is only a start time sheet that is posted daily. There are 12 people on call each day and some days all of them are not working. Out of 38 city drivers it is nowhere near the 90% that you are talking about. There is no way that they will guarantee the 12 drivers work each day.

Yes right now that we are slow it will be bad for the bottom but at least they will get paid the eight hours if they are even called in late in the afternoon. The first couple of months it will be bad for the bottom of the senority but given that our overtime is now going to be after 8hrs rather that 41 the regional managers will come down hard on the TM's for all the overtime that is being paid out if they continue to hold back the bottom group. At our terminal they hold back around ten to fifteen drivers a day with there stupid numbers giving the senior guys anywhere from 11-14 hrs a day but on friday they act like there giving them a break so they go home early only to avoid giving them so much overtime. After the contract they will end up paying double that by keeping home drivers and paying out overtime everyday. So yes the first couple of months it wil be bad for the junior guys but after the checks go out and the pay is going up rather than down they will get it fixed. I know some of us live for the overtime but at the same time I dont want to force a family to live on bread and water because I work more hours.

There is only a start time sheet that is posted daily. There are 12 people on call each day and some days all of them are not working. Out of 38 city drivers it is nowhere near the 90% that you are talking about. There is no way that they will guarantee the 12 drivers work each day.

Obviously, nothing in life is guaranteed!

Although, I've presented an opportunity to at least justify and or account for all slots requested!

If your prepared to negotiate (if you prepare your local to negotiate) with actual concrete evidence that the company uses "x" amount of bids / start times / men per day... Then the company would have to do some fancy foot work to prove otherwise...

Job Preservation... Fight for it! :1036316054:

Here is how I see it playing out there are 2 boards 1 road 1 dock/city (the third board is for casuals but that doesn't concern this)

lets say the terminal has 50 road drivers and 50 p&d/dock

lets say currently it has 45 road runs and 5 extraboard. Once the contract goes into effect I don't see the extraboard position counting as a bid position.

Becuase article 5 section 4 says the start times will be posted for bid, the extraboard does not have a start time. Also article 18 section 2 says "Notwithstanding the above, the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

This supports what I am saying will happen.

50 road drivers, 45 with a bid = 40 road drivers guaranteed 40 a week

I know some of us live for the overtime but at the same time I dont want to force a family to live on bread and water because I work more hours.[/QUOTE]

Great attitude, this is what Teamster brotherhood is supposed to be about. I won't pretend that this is always the case, but the only person you can be responsible for is yourself.

In regard to this clause, I can't understand why they wrote it this way. I would think that they are going to have a sh**load of grievances over this.

I know some of us live for the overtime but at the same time I dont want to force a family to live on bread and water because I work more hours.

Great attitude, this is the way Teamster brotherhood is supposed to be. I won't pretend that it is always this way, but you can only be responsible for yourself.

Regarding this clause, I don't understand why they wrote it this way. I would think that they are going to have a buttload of grievances over this.

Here is how I see it playing out there are 2 boards 1 road 1 dock/city (the third board is for casuals but that doesn't concern this)

lets say the terminal has 50 road drivers and 50 p&d/dock

lets say currently it has 45 road runs and 5 extraboard. Once the contract goes into effect I don't see the extraboard position counting as a bid position.

Becuase article 5 section 4 says the start times will be posted for bid, the extraboard does not have a start time. Also article 18 section 2 says "Notwithstanding the above, the Company shall also have the right to maintain a sufficient number of full-time employees without a posted or established schedule in order to handle unscheduled and extra ad hoc work."

This supports what I am saying will happen.

50 road drivers, 45 with a bid = 40 road drivers guaranteed 40 a week

Seems to me it would be 90% of the board. 50 road drivers times 90% equals 45 bid jobs. You can't count people one way & not another.

They are not bids, this is in referance to "Volume Loads" or extra peddles. Late starts for pickups, I am assuming this is in referance too wild runs. From day to day due to freight volume they may need two city drivers in one area as opposed to the single. Volume runs that must be delivered early AM. Appointments. and so on and so on.
It's called unasigned,but is still a bid.