FedEx Freight | american freightways?

Wrong

Actually if you really dig deep you would find that Arkansas Freight was Garrison Trucking. just a bit of history for you.:1036316054:

Arkansas Freightways was NOT Garrison Motor freight. Garrison Motor freight was sold to Smith's Transfer Corporation in 1979. Arkansas Freightways was born on October 25th, 1982. AF was created new by the Garrison Family, namely F. Sheridan Garrison and his brother Ben, along with others.

Rattlesnake,
I didn't mention that info because I thought it was general knowledge. There was an agreement between Smith's and the Garrisons about not opening another line for 3 years and one day after the 3 years Arkansas Freightways was born.

Mayhem and Snortin',
You guys are welcome. I actually worked for the old ArkFrt. for about 9 months when every terminal (I think) except Harrison was a contractor terminal. It was in 1985 and 1986. I was working as a casual on the road trying to get on at Yellow at the same time....which I did in July 86. There wasn't much freight and they'd accept any and all shipments....mostly the junk other carriers didn't want....but look what the Garrisons did with it. I worked with some good guys there too.

Contractor Centers

Mayhem and Snortin',
You guys are welcome. I actually worked for the old ArkFrt. for about 9 months when every terminal (I think) except Harrison was a contractor terminal. It was in 1985 and 1986. I was working as a casual on the road trying to get on at Yellow at the same time....which I did in July 86. There wasn't much freight and they'd accept any and all shipments....mostly the junk other carriers didn't want....but look what the Garrisons did with it. I worked with some good guys there too.

Guess What? Harrison was, and still is, a contractor center (terminal).. Russellville, Arkansas also is a contractor center. This goes back to an agreement that was apparently chisled in stone between our beloved F. Sheridan Garrison ( and I do miss him) and the operator of those two centers. ( The name escapes me but I will look it up)

Guess What? Harrison was, and still is, a contractor center (terminal).. Russellville, Arkansas also is a contractor center. This goes back to an agreement that was apparently chisled in stone between our beloved F. Sheridan Garrison ( and I do miss him) and the operator of those two centers. ( The name escapes me but I will look it up)

Fred Garry, I am pretty sure.

Rattlesnake,
It's hard for me to remember the details of 22 years ago so thanks for reminding us. Doug Ellis was the contractor in STL, or SL as it was known, and was a good guy to work for. Back then there weren't many terminals at all and often the trailers weren't anywhere near fully loaded. How times have changed. Have a great Christmas everybody.

Rattlesnake,
It's hard for me to remember the details of 22 years ago so thanks for reminding us. Doug Ellis was the contractor in STL, or SL as it was known, and was a good guy to work for. Back then there weren't many terminals at all and often the trailers weren't anywhere near fully loaded. How times have changed. Have a great Christmas everybody.

I took great pride in learning about AF and the people that made it a great and wonderful place to work. It feels good when people inquire about AF.... I truly wish that I could get that "Warm and Cozy " feeling about FedEx but I cannot. FedEx is a great paying job. I thank the Lord that I have this job, but it ain't AF.

Rattlesnake,
I know the feeling. The corporate American model of profit at all cost has taken over and the employees don't even matter anymore. Actually to them we haven't mattered for years now but some have to learn this lesson the hard way. It doesn't matter what name is on the door or what color the tractor is anymore. We're just a necessary evil known as labor. And this won't ever change....it'll only get worse.

I just got the AF/FXFe history DVD in the mail on Monday, once the kids gimme some time to check it out I'm gonna sit down and watch it.

roog

You can't go back. pull your purple hat down and start reporting cellphone violators, you get an extra ninety cents and a Fred Smith action figure for each name.

I remember right after 9/11, a gentleman in Columbus Ohio wrote that he saw our trucks on the outerbelt everyday and never gave them much thought until on his way home from work on 9/11, the back of the trailer he saw on the outerbelt that day said,never underestimate an American,,he wept,,this was something to be proud of, I like fedex, but miss our old AF days