XPO | +anybody hear if the consession rumor is true at usf holland?

Interesting line of reasoning. So if collective barganing is sucessfull in it's original intent, it becomes obsolete by acheiving that success. I think you may be on to something here.

Interesting line of reasoning. So if collective barganing is sucessfull in it's original intent, it becomes obsolete by acheiving that success. I think you may be on to something here.

It can also remain relevant by working as a true partner with the company......then its adding value....it just depends on the leaders, just like the leaders of the company. I have always worked for non-union carriers but I am not antiunion....I do not like how the trucking unions have been run. I also worked as a superindent on LA docks with the ILWU union on the Maersk terminal...they are a rough crowd...but before the ILWU those workers were abused. Along comes Harry Bridges (a card carry communist, really) and built a union that has an iron clad hold on the West Coast ports to this day.

It would seem, that is what may be going on over with the folks under the Master Freight Agreement right now. The union and companies are "partnering" to try and stave off implosion. I too worked for quite some time in a Teamster union company, until I was "partnered" out by the company and my local deceiding that I had become a liability, which of course I had, they were right about that. So, just to finish the thought you started, in your opinion, are the unions doomed by their success? If totally successfull in their stated goals, are they then no longer necessary? Or do they degrade into that which the Teamster's seem to have become now?

We've discussed this before fellas. The following link is to an article discussing the modern workplace in this country and how corporate law has favored big business for quite a number of years. It's a long article but some common sense reading.
Why Unions Matter

Gentlemen, I spent a good portion of yesterday at the service center, and watched as YRC and the Teamsters announced they have reached an agreement on wage and benefits concessions...And they did so in pretty much record time for these two entities, who typically take longer to agree on what color green is..The general consensus seems to be 15%, but could be anywhere up to that number...
I say this only as a reminder to those who think there is some sort of bubble around us, or anyone for that matter...This is a pretty good indicator as to how bad things really are out there, and/or how bad they may yet become...Tread carefully, plan accordingly, be prepared...Let's see how bad this storm is gonna get...

good insight into the previous posts, the country in a whole is in a mess, will be intresting to see how things play out, non union managment could look at it either way, only time will tell, hate to see anyone lose a job no matter what color they bleed, each side has its pluses, as well as minuses, we need a system of checks and balances for sure, what we all need to do at this point is plan wisely for the future and what it holds

Gentlemen, I spent a good portion of yesterday at the service center, and watched as YRC and the Teamsters announced they have reached an agreement on wage and benefits concessions...And they did so in pretty much record time for these two entities, who typically take longer to agree on what color green is..The general consensus seems to be 15%, but could be anywhere up to that number...
I say this only as a reminder to those who think there is some sort of bubble around us, or anyone for that matter...This is a pretty good indicator as to how bad things really are out there, and/or how bad they may yet become...Tread carefully, plan accordingly, be prepared...Let's see how bad this storm is gonna get...

I feel it won't be long after teamsters concessions,conway will be looking for a wage cut.We had the concessions on benefits.

I feel it won't be long after teamsters concessions,conway will be looking for a wage cut.We had the concessions on benefits.
And all the worker units will say "Well, everyone else is doing it".

That will make it all OK.

worry bout our company, and the direction they are heading

No worries mate.

In the next few days, our leadership will calm our nerves by telling us how strong we are and how lucky we are but that times are tough and that concessions have not been considered because we are a team......or something. In the meantime, they already have decided over the weekend. What opportunist would not be looking to see if....er....how they can capitalize on this and further degrade our compensation.

I believe they are interested in lowering costs and I know that they are sometimes less than forthcoming.

We'll get through the other end of this recession with our leadership looking like geniuses and they will, of course, need to be retroactively rewarded to the nth degree and our compensation will be left right down there where they put it to save our company from sure disaster.

I will know that they saved us because they will tell us so. But we'll be reminded that danger still lurks around the corner.

Results; The caliber of new hires will decline, labor will become even more micro-managed, a huge percentage of L/H will be outsourced, low and mid level managers will make less, and a few thugs will make more (well deserved) money than they ever dreamed of.

"Bankrupt" gets a lot of things wrong, but, read his post right above........he's got this one pretty much called.....I suspect he has gotten a preview look at the video which is most likely already in the truckmail, on it's way to a T/M near you......

"Bankrupt" gets a lot of things wrong, but, read his post right above........he's got this one pretty much called.....I suspect he has gotten a preview look at the video which is most likely already in the truckmail, on it's way to a T/M near you......

Wow!

Well, thank you for that guarded post endorsement. I however don't foresee a vid this week; not enough time for production.
This was nothing more than an imagination fueled prognostication based on history and experience.

No worries mate.

In the next few days, our leadership will calm our nerves by telling us how strong we are and how lucky we are but that times are tough and that concessions have not been considered because we are a team......or something. In the meantime, they already have decided over the weekend. What opportunist would not be looking to see if....er....how they can capitalize on this and further degrade our compensation.

I believe they are interested in lowering costs and I know that they are sometimes less than forthcoming.

We'll get through the other end of this recession with our leadership looking like geniuses and they will, of course, need to be retroactively rewarded to the nth degree and our compensation will be left right down there where they put it to save our company from sure disaster.

I will know that they saved us because they will tell us so. But we'll be reminded that danger still lurks around the corner.

Results; The caliber of new hires will decline, labor will become even more micro-managed, a huge percentage of L/H will be outsourced, low and mid level managers will make less, and a few thugs will make more (well deserved) money than they ever dreamed of.

Well, I agree with you about one thing: They are interested in lowering costs...As far as concessions go, YRC doesn't even vote on it until the latter part of December, so I wouldn't look for a video anytime soon regarding concessions...at least a month...if at all...

As for the rest of your post, at least it appears you have communications meetings where you are...

Well, I agree with you about one thing: They are interested in lowering costs...As far as concessions go, YRC doesn't even vote on it until the latter part of December, so I wouldn't look for a video anytime soon regarding concessions...at least a month...if at all...

As for the rest of your post, at least it appears you have communications meetings where you are...

If you're to agree with me on one thing then I will consider that a start. What history hasn't taught us, time will.

So you guys that do the actual WORK get $18/hour and Zollars, who screwed the entire operation up gets $1800/hour. Yep, seems fair alright.:nutkick:

If you're to agree with me on one thing then I will consider that a start. What history hasn't taught us, time will.

Now those are the truest words I have heard all week...I don't think there is any history for us to refer to during these times, not even the depression...
Good, bad or indifferent, we are writing new chapters as we go in this economy, whether as individuals or companies, and each turn in the highway will probably stun us for awhile...