Yellow | Anyone heard anything from the COO hearings held today? (11/11/2008)

Brotherhood?

Petition
In the matter of merger between Roadway Express and Yellow Transportation, our union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, has failed to represent all members, it is our conclusion that company seniority must prevail over classification, as all affected parties are capable of all work across all classifications

The undersigned members in good standing of Local __, City, State , hereby request the following actions be taken: (1) Union re-negotiate the rules of merger so as to allow Company seniority to prevail across classification.

THIS SHOULD BE BROTHERHOOD OF BACKSTABBERS AND CUTTHROATS. YOUR SENORITY SHOULD STAND IN CLASSIFICATION YOU ARE PRESENTLY IN, :butt kiss:

Dissension in the ranks, riots in the streets?

Where's Barney Fife when we need him? "Citizens A 'Rest! Citizens A 'Rest!"

"There once was a deputy named Fife. He carried a gun and a knife. The Gun was all dusty, the knife was all rusty, and he never caught acrook in his life!"

Too much tension here lately-- relax. As Bill Clinton used to say when he was ****** all those women-- "You can't change this. Relax, lay back and try to enjoy it.".....

Pro Union You are 100% correct. I mean if we are going to open up that can of worms then why when CF closed the doors couldn't the CF drivers with 29 years just bump into the boards where their seniority would take them. The Fact of the matter is that At least in the Central conference, when you change classifications you go to the bottom of the board you are moving too. We all know this when we make that decision and now some would like to negate that seniority to suit their own needs. I don't want to see anyone out of work but the reality is that we are out of work and I sit here trying to find employment in an economy that is terrible and there are men that don't have as much road seniority as I do,that are working while I'm not,and I'm wrong for wanting to come back to work. What about the 25 guys under me that came from CF that all had over 15 years some closer to thirty? What about them. There are some conferences such as the Southern conference where you can follow your work if you are willing to move. But that is as far as it goes. You start swapping between the boards all the time . It would be almost impossible for the union and the co. to keep track of pay scale and benefits. There would be mass confusion. I know the guys that changed classification in the past are feeling it too. but they took the chance and accepted the risks a long time ago. Now that they have already made the sacrifice you feel that you shouldn't have to do the same?:chairshot::nutkick::cuss::ranting:

Petition
In the matter of merger between Roadway Express and Yellow Transportation, our union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, has failed to represent all members, it is our conclusion that company seniority must prevail over classification, as all affected parties are capable of all work across all classifications

The undersigned members in good standing of Local __, City, State , hereby request the following actions be taken: (1) Union re-negotiate the rules of merger so as to allow Company seniority to prevail across classification.

I too feel this is the only fair way to handle this! I am interested in signing the petition as well!

So let me understand some of your thoughts.....If there are Road drivers with 8 years of road senority and they get laid off....they should be able to go and bump a city/dock worker and dovetail their senoirity and vis versa?

I chose the road over the city when I came to Yellow...I missed all the time with the family, ballgames, birthdays, etc...you get the picture....now when someone who chose the city/dock over the road with more senoirity gets laid off...they should be able to "cross over" t0 the road board and bump me off with their city/dock senority?.....I would say something else on this subject, but I would probably get banned from the website I have been part of since 1997...that Trucking Boards senoirty means alot to me, so I will not do so......KK

You're always the Finest in my Book, KK! The Most Credible and a true Class Act! You've got seniority here on me, I've only been following Jeff since '99.

I can understand missing family events KK....But us as city guys have suffered as well.. ...try tuesday or thursday through on afternoons in the city.....we have missed our fair share of events as well...i just want to work for yellow and think classification seniority is unjust!!!

So let me understand some of your thoughts.....If there are Road drivers with 8 years of road senority and they get laid off....they should be able to go and bump a city/dock worker and dovetail their senoirity and vis versa?

I chose the road over the city when I came to Yellow...I missed all the time with the family, ballgames, birthdays, etc...you get the picture....now when someone who chose the city/dock over the road with more senoirity gets laid off...they should be able to "cross over" t0 the road board and bump me off with their city/dock senority?.....I would say something else on this subject, but I would probably get banned from the website I have been part of since 1997...that Trucking Boards senoirty means alot to me, so I will not do so......KK

Say what you wish,maybe then they might understand.But then again some people just dont get it.

I can understand missing family events KK....But us as city guys have suffered as well.. ...try tuesday or thursday through on afternoons in the city.....we have missed our fair share of events as well...i just want to work for yellow and think classification seniority is unjust!!!

I know no one seems to like it when I shoot straight, but here goes some more. A View from the bottom:

The top guys always walk around bragging "I've been here (blank) years Pal! I'm entitled!"

Now, the ship's sprung a hole, and the rats are turning on each other.......The hole may be fixable. If the rats run over each other and jump ship, there won't be anyone left to find out if it can be fixed.....

We have a contract that we've gone by or ignorred or had shoved down our throats. Now some feel they should ignore that and change classification. Dissention in the ranks ain't good......

Somehow, reading these threads has gotten the song by the Eagles "Cause I'm Already Gone" stuck in my head......

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't want to hear anyone talk about suffering here unless you have stayed at the motel in Memphis. Until you do that, don't even think about jumping in front of me.

Just one thing to think about:

Regardless of classification vs seniorty, with ALL the projected job cuts, the pension fund will again be underfunded due to the retirement of the grey beards and the lack of junior workers.

Remember, yesterdays rookie is tomorrows retiree.

Quit your damn crying. It's not fair, it's not fair. Gimmie a break. You hired into your classification, so you will be dovetailed into your classification. I've know since I was hired that if I wanted to change and go to the road I would go to the bottom of the list. And the guys on road who wanted to come to the city knew they would go to the bottom of the list. This isn't going to be some free for all cluster **** that some of you want. You can get all the petitions in the world and that will not change a thing and shouldn't. I've been laif off since September and if there is someone junior to me on the road working then good for him. I have no right to take his job just like senior guys on the road have no right to dovetail into a city board at their convienence. Grow up and deal with it. It sucks for everyone, but we all knew the rules when we chose our line of work.

Quit your damn crying. It's not fair, it's not fair. Gimmie a break. You hired into your classification, so you will be dovetailed into your classification. I've know since I was hired that if I wanted to change and go to the road I would go to the bottom of the list. And the guys on road who wanted to come to the city knew they would go to the bottom of the list. This isn't going to be some free for all cluster **** that some of you want. You can get all the petitions in the world and that will not change a thing and shouldn't. I've been laif off since September and if there is someone junior to me on the road working then good for him. I have no right to take his job just like senior guys on the road have no right to dovetail into a city board at their convienence. Grow up and deal with it. It sucks for everyone, but we all knew the rules when we chose our line of work.

This much I know it true. This is the " Southern Modified" contract. You can not cross boards, now or even before. If you did,by yer own choosing, then you went to the bottom of seniority.

My TM left his computer up again. I looked at his Email, his Trash, etc. He got an Email form his boss. We only have to deal with P&D here, no road domiciled here. The "rules" given to TM were this.... ACTIVE gets the seniorty list. INACTIVE doesn't count. Inactive will come back onboard in the event more men are needed to be hired, and THEN placed back into their seniority list once BACK TO WORK. Soooo-Junior man still ACTIVE and WORKING ( company A)... SENIOR MAN INACTIVE and laid off ( Company B )....YES !

If you have two board system where you work, and you could ALWAYS cross over ( I knew of a BB up North that had this and did this years ago--two boards bid twice a year,and you could bid either board, and --some---Road would bid dock or P&D every Novemeber to not have to drive in snow, and rebid in April, after the snow, back onto the road) ... I don't know how you will work.
If you only have ONE BOARD OPERATIONS, you will NOT be allowed to cross over.....

Senior ROAD man laid off and junior dock man working, or vice versa, YES ! CDL or Forklift or SENIORITY, does not apply, It's just ONE BOARD, and seperate ! You can not crossover with the "power" of seniority.

there must be more than 1 rule going down then . in winston salem there will be none of that going on [active -nonactive ] in the meeting it was clarified that senority rules and it doesnt matter if you are layed off or not , you have the years you work 1st

When it comes to working, or not working, and when layoffs are a permanent thing the same old rules are somewhat outdated.

I choose to work at Yellow not Roadway, BTW where I work a P&D bid isn't exactly great for family time either. If you are going to merge us across companies, why not across classification? Why should a guy who has devoted 8 years of his life to this company be out of a job while a guy with two years in is still working? Why would classification somehow be more sacred than the company that you work for? Specifically, if the jobs were lost as a direct result of the merger. I believe it is the unions responsibility to protect our jobs, and I think that failing to examine this as an option is negligent at best, discriminatory at worst.

I brought the petition to judge peoples reactions, and it was signed by almost every person I showed it to. This is what the majority of members want in my opinion. So if anyone else wants to protect real seniority, lets network, and get petitions signed so the union will hear the voice of the members they exist to represent!

When it comes to working, or not working, and when layoffs are a permanent thing the same old rules are somewhat outdated.

I choose to work at Yellow not Roadway, BTW where I work a P&D bid isn't exactly great for family time either. If you are going to merge us across companies, why not across classification? Why should a guy who has devoted 8 years of his life to this company be out of a job while a guy with two years in is still working? Why would classification somehow be more sacred than the company that you work for? Specifically, if the jobs were lost as a direct result of the merger. I believe it is the unions responsibility to protect our jobs, and I think that failing to examine this as an option is negligent at best, discriminatory at worst.

I brought the petition to judge peoples reactions, and it was signed by almost every person I showed it to. This is what the majority of members want in my opinion. So if anyone else wants to protect real seniority, lets network, and get petitions signed so the union will hear the voice of the members they exist to represent!

i am with you all the way on this one......senority shall prevail regardless of classification because we did not create this nitemare.......yrc did.... why should i be penalized even more.?.....nuff said......:hide:

Pro Union You are 100% correct. I mean if we are going to open up that can of worms then why when CF closed the doors couldn't the CF drivers with 29 years just bump into the boards where their seniority would take them. The Fact of the matter is that At least in the Central conference, when you change classifications you go to the bottom of the board you are moving too. We all know this when we make that decision and now some would like to negate that seniority to suit their own needs. I don't want to see anyone out of work but the reality is that we are out of work and I sit here trying to find employment in an economy that is terrible and there are men that don't have as much road seniority as I do,that are working while I'm not,and I'm wrong for wanting to come back to work. What about the 25 guys under me that came from CF that all had over 15 years some closer to thirty? What about them. There are some conferences such as the Southern conference where you can follow your work if you are willing to move. But that is as far as it goes. You start swapping between the boards all the time . It would be almost impossible for the union and the co. to keep track of pay scale and benefits. There would be mass confusion. I know the guys that changed classification in the past are feeling it too. but they took the chance and accepted the risks a long time ago. Now that they have already made the sacrifice you feel that you shouldn't have to do the same?:chairshot::nutkick::cuss::ranting:

I think I get your general drift, but what does CF have to do with this? When CF went out of business the guys were hired by another company, I don't really see the relationship that has to the current set of circumstances. I wish we were a closed shop, and we hired out of the union hall then all you CF guys with all your time in could transfer from company to company and hold the seniority that is rightfully yours.