TForce | anyone here want to be steward

Being a steward is not an elected or volunteered post. The local picks the steward or stewards. They will allow for the members to vote on it, but it is up to the local to appoint the steward. There are many legal liabilities to the union if a steward screws up, so they will have the final say.

Being a steward is not an elected or volunteered post. The local picks the steward or stewards. They will allow for the members to vote on it, but it is up to the local to appoint the steward. There are many legal liabilities to the union if a steward screws up, so they will have the final say.

HUH? Where did you here that? Everyone that I know of has been elected by the members.

HUH? Where did you here that? Everyone that I know of has been elected by the members.

As I stated the locals will allow a vote, but if the steward is or proves to be worthless the union local will appoint one. The steward is the guardian of the contract and if he or she fails at this they can open the union as a whole up to lawsiuts. I had experience with this, the steward at my terminal was getting favors from the manager so he would never file any grievances. The employees filed to the union that they wanted the steward replaced. The union agreed and allowed us to elect a new steward, whom they approved. That is it. The union can't let a steward run wild just because he was elected. They have to protect the union from lawsuits.

Lieb are you saying there will be no elected stewards at UPS feight?

Go and read the by laws of the Teamsters locals. Elected officals are not in for life. If they screw up they can and will be replaced. If your elected steward was worthless, wouldn't you want him gone? The locals will allow for elections but they have the legal right to appoint the steward. Think of it as an impeachment. There is a chain a sucsession.

Overnite, you are a master of taking quotes out of the context. Post the whole quote. you should work as a hatchet man for a political party. You are dishonest and misleading.

Go and read the by laws of the Teamsters locals.
Which one? There all different

Elected officals are not in for life.
Who said they were?

If they screw up they can and will be replaced. If your elected steward was worthless, wouldn't you want him gone? The locals will allow for elections but they have the legal right to appoint the steward. Think of it as an impeachment. There is a chain a sucsession.
OK, and? Your point is?

Yes I would like to be our Steward, we were told by the local union last saturday at our big "pow wow" that "we" would elect our steward, it's up to us, straight out of the pres' mouth

Yes I would like to be our Steward, we were told by the local union last saturday at our big "pow wow" that "we" would elect our steward, it's up to us, straight out of the pres' mouth

That is the way it is supposed to be, elected from the people in the barn and trained by the union.

If you elect a knuckle head, the local will remove him and you will vote on another guy. The union will allow the unit to elect the steward, but they do have the right to veto that person if they so choose. Lets be real here, most of the guys who are elected are approved by the local. The fact remains that the union has a right to remove a steward if they so choose. Let us say that you elect a steward and somewhere down the line he calls for a wildcat strike. This is illegal and against the contract. The steward will be removed by the union. :1036316054:

If you elect a knuckle head, the local will remove him and you will vote on another guy. The union will allow the unit to elect the steward, but they do have the right to veto that person if they so choose. Lets be real here, most of the guys who are elected are approved by the local. The fact remains that the union has a right to remove a steward if they so choose. Let us say that you elect a steward and somewhere down the line he calls for a wildcat strike. This is illegal and against the contract. The steward will be removed by the union. :1036316054:

Wild cat strikes are not illegal I think your terms are mixed up,

Being a steward is not an elected or volunteered post.

Here you say it is not an elected or even volunteered position so which is it. Elected Or the union appoints them, you have stated both in this thread? But in the first quoted post you say the union will allow you to elect one.

Wild cat strikes are not illegal I think your terms are mixed up,

Here you say it is not an elected or even volunteered position so which is it. Elected Or the union appoints them, you have stated both in this thread? But in the first quoted post you say the union will allow you to elect one.

Are you back again? You are a fraud!

I'll throw my hat into the ring,along with a few other's,you will be elected to the position,by your peer's.If you are unsure of something do not make the call, call your B.A. let him make the decision,As a steward,you are there basically to be the union rep. to make sure the company ahere's to the contract.remember a union is only as strong as it's member's. Also believe wildcat strike's are illegal,if the union could do that,it would be great,no time for the company to bring in strikebreaker's.Most labor law's today heavily favor the company an big business.The organizing of UPS freight is the easiest in history of labor,UPS wants this to happen,why no one knowns,only UPS it's self,they have got to have something up there sleeve?

I'll throw my hat into the ring,along with a few other's,you will be elected to the position,by your peer's.If you are unsure of something do not make the call, call your B.A. let him make the decision,As a steward,you are there basically to be the union rep. to make sure the company ahere's to the contract.remember a union is only as strong as it's member's. Also believe wildcat strike's are illegal,if the union could do that,it would be great,no time for the company to bring in strikebreaker's.Most labor law's today heavily favor the company an big business.The organizing of UPS freight is the easiest in history of labor,UPS wants this to happen,why no one knowns,only UPS it's self,they have got to have something up there sleeve?

Consolidation? Cutting the overlapping fat? 80 year union culture? Have been the best with union employees? Some of my .02 cents.

First of all its not the steward's job to impose job actions, slowdowns, walk outs, call-ins or strikes.

The steward's job is to be the eyes and ears of the Business Agent.

The steward does not enforce the contract, the BA does.

The steward is there as a representative of the union and a represntative of the member(s) to make sure the member(s) is treated within the guidlines of the law and contract.

Many locals appoint stewards becuase they are working together with the BA to run a tight ship or contol a tough situation.

Doesn't the President appoint his cabinet?

Some local's by-laws will allow for an election if certain things apply.
Retirement of steward, lack of faith from members, illegal doings, even change in Business agents can cuaes the change of stewards.

Overnite's/USPF situation is a slightly different stuation.
Here you have a entirely new company coming on board and for the most part the members and Business Agents don't know each other. Stewards may be chosen based on what the local leadership sees in a person during the organization drive or may see fit to let the members elect one of thier own choice.
Also remember more than one steward will be neede at each barn.

Take for instance a barn witha large operation.

Stewards will be needed for the road operation, dock operation, city operation, and mecahnaics.

In this case a chief steward is assinged by the local and a member that works in each classsifaction is appointed or elected.

Being steward is a 24/7 job.

Be ready for your phone to be ringing at phone when you off, during vacation, on a sick day, whenever there is a problem and your not around.

Be ready to dedeicate you time to the local and the members. It a thankless job, holds no extra benifits and takes a certain type of person to be able to take on the added work load.

Stewards do the job side by side with the members and in most cases don't get any extra out of it. Be ready to be diplomatic.

STEWARDS DO NOT CALL STRIKES
STEWARDS DO NOT TELL THE COMPANY HOW TO RUN IT'S BUSINEES
STEWARDS DO NOT HAVE SUPER SENIORITY
STEWARDS CAN BE ELECTED
STEWARDS CAN BE APPOINTED
STEWARDS CAN BE FIRED
STEWARDS CAN BE REMOVED BY THE LOCAL OR THE MEMBERSHIP

Suggestion, follow the advice of the local first in deciding who the steward will be then correct it if it needs correcting in the future

Also no steward out there will make 100% of the members happay all at once. If he or she does then I want to meet that person becuase he or she willl be the first.

T251

Let me see if I can help. The steward position IS an elected position. After getting an individuals approval that he/she is interested in the position, a person puts the nominees name in the nominee position on the form. The same person who nominated them then signs the form in the "nominated by" position. Then a second person has to "SECOND" the nominee in the "second by" position. The union hall has this form if you need it. If there is only one nominee, there is no election. He/She wins. If there is more than one nominee, there should be an actual vote, usually two weeks after the posting was put up. The Union will/should stay out of your election. It is your election, not the unions. If however, the "NEW" steward is not doing his job to your satisfaction, there are avenues to get him/her removed through the union hall. The stewards job is to hold the company to the contract and protect workers rights. The steward does NOT have the authority to alter the contract language in any way shape or form. (side deals with the TM) But, the union does not have the right to appoint anyone to this position. It is up to the people to ELECT a representative. By the way your nominees only need to be in good standing with the union to be qualified. Hope this helps.:smilie_132:

First of all its not the steward's job to impose job actions, slowdowns, walk outs, call-ins or strikes.

The steward's job is to be the eyes and ears of the Business Agent.

The steward does not enforce the contract, the BA does.

The steward is there as a representative of the union and a represntative of the member(s) to make sure the member(s) is treated within the guidlines of the law and contract.

Many locals appoint stewards becuase they are working together with the BA to run a tight ship or contol a tough situation.

Doesn't the President appoint his cabinet?

Some local's by-laws will allow for an election if certain things apply.
Retirement of steward, lack of faith from members, illegal doings, even change in Business agents can cuaes the change of stewards.

Overnite's/USPF situation is a slightly different stuation.
Here you have a entirely new company coming on board and for the most part the members and Business Agents don't know each other. Stewards may be chosen based on what the local leadership sees in a person during the organization drive or may see fit to let the members elect one of thier own choice.
Also remember more than one steward will be neede at each barn.

Take for instance a barn witha large operation.

Stewards will be needed for the road operation, dock operation, city operation, and mecahnaics.

In this case a chief steward is assinged by the local and a member that works in each classsifaction is appointed or elected.

Being steward is a 24/7 job.

Be ready for your phone to be ringing at phone when you off, during vacation, on a sick day, whenever there is a problem and your not around.

Be ready to dedeicate you time to the local and the members. It a thankless job, holds no extra benifits and takes a certain type of person to be able to take on the added work load.

Stewards do the job side by side with the members and in most cases don't get any extra out of it. Be ready to be diplomatic.

STEWARDS DO NOT CALL STRIKES
STEWARDS DO NOT TELL THE COMPANY HOW TO RUN IT'S BUSINEES
STEWARDS DO NOT HAVE SUPER SENIORITY
STEWARDS CAN BE ELECTED
STEWARDS CAN BE APPOINTED
STEWARDS CAN BE FIRED
STEWARDS CAN BE REMOVED BY THE LOCAL OR THE MEMBERSHIP

Suggestion, follow the advice of the local first in deciding who the steward will be then correct it if it needs correcting in the future

Also no steward out there will make 100% of the members happay all at once. If he or she does then I want to meet that person becuase he or she willl be the first.

T251

Thanks 251, I just don't have the typing skills or pateince to write so much at once. I think some people think that if all there questions aren't answered all at once, they are be B.S.'d.:1036316054: