TForce | anyone here want to be steward

steward

so this job has no perks....but extra work.........sounds like something i already have with safety commitee

so this job has no perks....but extra work.........sounds like something i already have with safety commitee
The only "perk" that I can think of for a steward is that they do not pay union dues. It could be different where you are, but they don't pay their 57 bucks a month here. Check with your local though. Here, our "new" stewards get to appoint their Alternate Stewards. (Small barn) The Alt. Stewards DO have to pay dues here. The stewardship is a thankless job. In every grievance that gets heard, one side feels shorted in the end. (Mgt. or Emp.) Everyone just needs to understand that you cannot win every grievance, but the two sides still need to work out the differences because we do have to work together. The contract has lots of gray areas. It is always open to each sides interpritation.:smilie_132:

Locals that allow for the "no dues" for stewarda are few and far between. In my 23 yrs the "no dues" for stewards has not been in place

Not trying to stir the pot as an outsider but try and remember a few basic things about being in a union and about being a steward.
1. The union is only as strong as its members
2. The steward must have the support of his men and the local to be able to do his job.
3. As a steward don't use this position for self gain and special favors.It will come back and bite you in the a**Just follow the contract and be honest with the men.
4.You will not please everyone .

Hope this helps a little,good luck.

Locals that allow for the "no dues" for stewarda are few and far between. In my 23 yrs the "no dues" for stewards has not been in place
They could be few and far between, but Local 406 (Michigan) does not require the steward to pay dues. FACT!:1036316054:
Like I said in an earlier post, I would check on all of these questions with your B.A. before I took the job if it matters to you.:smilie_132:

From someone who was a steward for ten years......think about it long and hard before you decide. One side is always unhappy with the outcome of any action you are involved in. And, if you win more than lose, or at least if the company PERCIEVES that you are, you have an enormous, invisible target on your back, that anyone and everyone in management is aiming at. It had it's rewarding moments, mostly when it came out right for the other guy and it saved his job, but when it doesn't and you can't sleep at night because you couldn't, or didn't do enough or say the right thing at the right time that maybe could have, it sucks, big time.

What about super seniority when it comes time for layoff.

That's what we have in this local,or had might have change,steward should get something for his time an patience,also is kinda required to attent the monthly union meetings,don't have to,but could come back to haunt you,think someone said that before(appo)? so should be nothing new

From someone who was a steward for ten years......think about it long and hard before you decide. One side is always unhappy with the outcome of any action you are involved in. And, if you win more than lose, or at least if the company PERCIEVES that you are, you have an enormous, invisible target on your back, that anyone and everyone in management is aiming at. It had it's rewarding moments, mostly when it came out right for the other guy and it saved his job, but when it doesn't and you can't sleep at night because you couldn't, or didn't do enough or say the right thing at the right time that maybe could have, it sucks, big time.

This is all I have to say in respect. If thier is a contract, and you do not understand it, thier is many rescourses one could soul search and get informed.

If the "corrected" in this case do the same thing multiple times and get fired, then I will sleep well at night knowing I did my part.

If someone played in the contract knowing what happened was not in direct violation I will not sleep until the provisions are upheld by both parties involved.

And I will go out of my way to tell all why the conclusion is the conclusion, if it makes scence. I feel no regret, after all this is why they elected me.

Don't take this the wrong way, but........ I have also seen situations where the steward gets away with murder, only because he is the steward. So I'm guessing that it depends on the TM. You're right though, it is a big responsability. Don't take it likely. I think that the best thing that a steward can do in any "lost" issue, is to explain to the grievant why and how the case was lost. Communication is the key to peace. Then the grievant will understand and not be upset.:1036316054:

Don't wanna squash on you toes there, although most place do not have the no dues for stewards, there are still a couple, not many at all, and Super senority still exist at some locations as well. Thats up to you guys when you make up your contrat(super senority) the dues thing is up to your local.

The stewards at our barn have always been elected by the members and the alternates picked by the steward with no interference from the hall. A lot of patience is required and a hot temper only hurts the process. The contract only covers so much and there is alot of gray area that a little give and take is needed. Commen sense goes a long way.

What about super seniority when it comes time for layoff.

Super seniority used to protect a barn with only one steward.

It allowed the steward to pick his bid first and make himself available to the men at anytime and be paid his wage at OT if he had to conduct business off the clock if not on his regular shift.

Super seniority also protect hinm from layoffs.

Most local require a steward to be on the job at all times so alternates or assisants were chosen by Cheif stewards\
During layoffs the cheif steward regaurdless of seniority could not be laid off and if men worked a holiday or six punch where more than 3 men worked the steward was allow to work also.

Like Northern Flash said and I've have said hundreds of occasions that local by-laws, past practices, and work rules work differently from local to local. The best way to get the best answer is from the local that covers your barn. You can only get a variation of rules from the truckingboards. there are to many tangiables involved in localities to get the definitive answer here.

The best canidate for the job is some one with common scense, diplomatic no how and the ability to not cave in to a manger that is intimadating.

No Monty Halls Allowed

The best canidate for the job is some one with common scense, diplomatic no how and the ability to not cave in to a manger that is intimadating.

And a good knowledge of the contract.

The stewards at our barn have always been elected by the members and the alternates picked by the steward with no interference from the hall. A lot of patience is required and a hot temper only hurts the process. The contract only covers so much and there is alot of gray area that a little give and take is needed. Commen sense goes a long way.

Well the gray area has to be wiped out.

I didn't read every post on this thread but maybe every local has different policies in place for stewards to be installed at the union barns?
I know when I was a Teamster we all picked who we wanted,at our terminal baised on their demeaner,if we thought they could stand up for our rights,as well as being impartcial not playing favorites.
Then we told our BA who we wanted.
The union hall would review our choice then it would be a simple manor of a nomination,and it would be second,and third witness,then it was recorded as such in the records,and that was that.
If he or she didn't work out which was mighty rare they could be put out by our local rep.'s.

This is what we did around my part of the country back in the day.

I musta missed something..

The question I read, Was " Anyone here want to be steward" It seamed to me he was only asking if anyone wants to be 1. Not who or how you become 1.

I musta missed something..

The question I read, Was " Anyone here want to be steward" It seamed to me he was only asking if anyone wants to be 1. Not who or how you become 1.

Seems to be the norm.....Just say what you need and it we'll get it firgured out sometime down the road.....