TForce | anyone here want to be steward

Does the steward get any sort of compansation for the obvious grief and pain in the backside stuff they will have to deal with?

how do you know what usually happens in any given situation when you have never been in a union?

Becuase I have read some of the locals bylaws there are a bunch online, becuase I am a member of teamster.net (lots of information there), Becuase I belong to a bunch of pro/anti-union forums.

Were you born with the knowledge to turn a wrench? No you learned it.

If you don't agree with what I said or think it is wrong prove it.

Becuase I have read some of the locals bylaws there are a bunch online, becuase I am a member of teamster.net (lots of information there), Becuase I belong to a bunch of pro/anti-union forums.

Were you born with the knowledge to turn a wrench? No you learned it.

If you don't agree with what I said or think it is wrong prove it.

he will meet you around back after school!settle this once and for all. LOL J/K:biglaugh:

do any by-laws say what usually happens? you post links to video games. I learned from experience like the question asked here on this thread, not by reading a little bit here and there about other peoples experience. the good side is you will gain experience and realize those old-timers were right all along.

I made a mistake about the question asked here, I got it mixed up w/ liebs thread about experience. I admit it, but see how easy it is to get confused when we read a little bit here and there?

do any by-laws say what usually happens? you post links to video games. I learned from experience like the question asked here on this thread, not by reading a little bit here and there about other peoples experience. the good side is you will gain experience and realize those old-timers were right all along.

the by-laws tell you what is going to happen not what usually happens.

Time spent in handling grievances during the job steward's or his/her designated alternates regular working hours shall be considered working hours in computing daily and/or weekly overtime if within the regular schedule of the "job steward".

So this means you are on the clock for handling issues during your scheduled hours? What if you need to come to work early or stay late to handle grievances so that is not to disturb the operation of the employer? Will this be under normal compensation as well?

how do you know what usually happens in any given situation when you have never been in a union?

I don't need to be in a union to see that different locals handle situations differently.

I never said I know what usually happens in any given situation, where did you get that from?

post 36:
Well the gray area has to be wiped out.

post 37:
It will probaly be in the locals bylaws, not in the contract.

this is post 41:
Does the steward get any sort of compansation for the obvious grief and pain in the backside stuff they will have to deal with?

This is post 42
not usually

I don't see where either of these posts have todo with what your saying.

Just a few points after being a steward for 25 years.

Let your grievant know in advance what his chances are. Also, where I worked , the losing side paid all expenses, so we tried to avoid frivolous grievances. Another thing, you don't have to be a deal maker, but it is best to get these things settled at your barn without going to the union. You are closer to the situation than union officials and can often reach a better result than them. Finally you are permitted time to gather facts and information pursuant to a problem. Oh yeah, in my experience when a company started targeting a steward, the local came down on them hard.

Just a few points after being a steward for 25 years.

Let your grievant know in advance what his chances are. Also, where I worked , the losing side paid all expenses, so we tried to avoid frivolous grievances. Another thing, you don't have to be a deal maker, but it is best to get these things settled at your barn without going to the union. You are closer to the situation than union officials and can often reach a better result than them. Finally you are permitted time to gather facts and information pursuant to a problem. Oh yeah, in my experience when a company started targeting a steward, the local came down on them hard.

Well thats good to hear.................

Well Hell Fire 58 posts later I'll say it. Where do I sign up. I have been politicing already. Seem to have alot of support, Maybe I will get to meet Liebs personally at a Steward conference in Vegas or somewhere really cool where we can use our union Amex cards to buy alcohol. :hysterical:

Back in the day when I was a Teamster between 1966,and 1986 the stewards didn't have to pay any union dues for all of the trouble it was outside of their job classifications.
They also could become trustees at the local union level,as well as running for any open union office such as Business Agent,or even VP,and President.
These offices are very hard to get if your just a regular member much easier if your a steward.

But like I'm posting that was back when I was in the IBT 22 years ago already has passed.
Everything could be different now days?