ODFL | Are the Congdon's pulling out on managing the company?

I only hope with all the new management being hired, they dont try to re-invent the OD model/LTL industry. I have already lived thru that mess once and it was and is a total failure but when your CEO/Owner has DEEEP pockets I guess you can just keep throwing money at until somehow it will work (PS its still all messed up over there). I hope they look at worked in the past and just improve it process a litle and even listen to the employees who have good ideas

I only hope with all the new management being hired, they dont try to re-invent the OD model/LTL industry. I have already lived thru that mess once and it was and is a total failure but when your CEO/Owner has DEEEP pockets I guess you can just keep throwing money at until somehow it will work (PS its still all messed up over there). I hope they look at worked in the past and just improve it process a litle and even listen to the employees who have good ideas
I hope so as well. We all left our previous employer for a reason. FedEx and Con-way guys seems to be because the way you got treated. I believe employees will bend over backwards for their company if they are treated with a little respect and feel that management appreciates the work they do. And I'm a firm believer that that starts at the local level. Having a good SCM and ACM keeps moral high. No offense to the Congdon family, but they don't have the time to visit the troops on a daily bases. Your local management has to be front and center. But change is inevitable and we must adjust. Some will...other will just bitch!

"Just accept that and move on"

NEVER
i will always tell them when i disagree but not in a confrontational way. I am not the manager but as an employee I can be called an advisor . If after hearing what I have to say you disagree that is fine ,but at least i had my say. I then wash my hands of the subject and wait and see what happens.

Some of these gentleman have no idea what's about to happen. New badges have employee #'s and names. Next set will just have the #. Mom and pop work environment no longer exist. This is going to be hard for some of the senior members to accept. But change is coming and like it or not, the drivers take the brunt of that change.
When George Powell handed the day to day operations to his kid and put sales people into operations well you see where Yellow is today.

You FedEx guys are living a dream thinking we'll be the way the day you signed on at OD! It's already started it's downhill and is slowly picking speed. Things were no where like this 10 years ago. They won't be looking at what works, they'll be from now looking more at what keeps the stockholders happy and where to pinch the pennies the most.

You FedEx guys are living a dream thinking we'll be the way the day you signed on at OD! It's already started it's downhill and is slowly picking speed. Things were no where like this 10 years ago. They won't be looking at what works, they'll be from now looking more at what keeps the stockholders happy and where to pinch the pennies the most.
Amen there Billy.It is not the same company since John passed.Still a good place to work.But,I can't say great.

When George Powell handed the day to day operations to his kid and put sales people into operations well you see where Yellow is today.
Quite possible. I can't argue that. In my 10 short year doing this the one thing I've learned is not to grow roots. Everyone has their idea how ltl should be run, guess I'm putting my money in with the guys who've done it the best and continue to grow. But only time will tell.

Last edited:
"Just accept that and move on"

NEVER
i will always tell them when i disagree but not in a confrontational way. I am not the manager but as an employee I can be called an advisor . If after hearing what I have to say you disagree that is fine ,but at least i had my say. I then wash my hands of the subject and wait and see what happens.

You didn't understand what I was saying. The INDUSTRY is and will always be chaotic. I did not say accept bad management and move on. I mean a customer may call in a late pickup, a dock guy may have to rework a trailer because a Gtd crate comes down the dock and needs to get on. Line haul might be delayed from 6" of snow. These are all outside factors which have large impact on our everyday jobs. You can't blame the boss for that stuff.

Reactions: Ump
Quite possible. I can't argue that. In my 10 short year doing this the one thing I've learned is not to grow roots. Everyone has their idea how ltl should be run, guess I'm putting my money in with the guys who've done it the best and continue to grow. But only time will tell.

Good attitude. We are the best...our senior management is a solid group of smart ppl and they keep tabs on things in the field more than you realize. Don't worry about a rogue TM -- we all see how many of them come and go.

And they are absolutely right DMT...they can't send you out half empty. That's not how we protect our yield.

Must be a linehaul driver. Still makes sense to send a guy out half empty when there's a trailer load of pickups waiting to be fetched. Why in the hell should we be held back for 2 hours bc a line driver decided to take a nap and then have to call all our pickups to beg them and stay an hour later? Great customer service. Some of us have routes with 100 mile stems until we hit the territory.

Must be a linehaul driver. Still makes sense to send a guy out half empty when there's a trailer load of pickups waiting to be fetched. Why in the hell should we be held back for 2 hours bc a line driver decided to take a nap and then have to call all our pickups to beg them and stay an hour later? Great customer service. Some of us have routes with 100 mile stems until we hit the territory.

So it makes more sense to send two city guys in the same area with a 1/2 trailer each? Glad you aren't running the show, sir. We start doing that and guess what goes up -- delivery cost per shipment. ESPECIALLY in those regions with large stems. Then guess what OD does...raise rates on those customers. Is that good customer service? Charge more because we don't plan our city routes intelligently? Also...its you who has to hear the customers bitch about the price...or better yet -- you won't have to go at all because we'll lose that business due to the price. Unless it's a guaranteed shipment -- most customers can understand logistical difficulties. Most cannot understand prices going up.

And every shipment coming in late is because the driver took a nap?

Let's try to keep some common sense in these discussions.

So it makes more sense to send two city guys in the same area with a 1/2 trailer each? Glad you aren't running the show, sir. We start doing that and guess what goes up -- delivery cost per shipment. ESPECIALLY in those regions with large stems. Then guess what OD does...raise rates on those customers. Is that good customer service? Charge more because we don't plan our city routes intelligently? Also...its you who has to hear the customers bitch about the price...or better yet -- you won't have to go at all because we'll lose that business due to the price. Unless it's a guaranteed shipment -- most customers can understand logistical difficulties. Most cannot understand prices going up.

And every shipment coming in late is because the driver took a nap?

Let's try to keep some common sense in these discussions.

When the heck do they send two drivers to one area? HAHA. Yep you're obviously a line driver who knows nothing about what really goes on in the city. Keep believing everything is alright and we're all treated great when you pick up that newsline mag.

OD will send one guy to an area 100+ miles away and expect him to do 20-30 stops by himself no problem. Use up the workforce and throw them away when they get injured or hurt themselves.

But I guess with your thinking we'll just bring back deliveries and miss pickups because we had to wait for just one more to be thrown on the tail!

You can hold a driver and throw all the freight on him in the world, don't mean it's going to be delivered. I'll make sure and bring that one they held me back on so I could miss all my breaks and run around on fire to make up time to show the DA number counters. Just don't care anymore and won't kill myself to be 2.0. Save that garbage for the new guys and sales people.

You can hold a driver and throw all the freight on him in the world, don't mean it's going to be delivered. I'll make sure and bring that one they held me back on so I could miss all my breaks and run around on fire to make up time to show the DA number counters. Just don't care anymore and won't kill myself to be 2.0. Save that garbage for the new guys and sales people.

Sounds like maybe it's time for you to switch over to line haul. Either that or try another company that caters to old slow guys.

Just remember -- once you hit the gates, everything you do is analyzed and used to track our company's performance and pricing. That long ::shit:: you take at your favorite gas station will translate into how much those at cpt charge your favorite customer. You may not like it -- but it's business nowadays and the bean counting isn't going away.

Last edited:
Sounds like maybe it's time for you to switch over to line haul. Either that or try another company that caters to old slow guys.

Just remember -- once you hit the gates, everything you do is analyzed and used to track our company's performance and pricing. That long :::shit::: you take at your favorite gas station will translate into how much those at cpt charge your favorite customer. You may not like it -- but it's business nowadays and the bean counting isn't going away.

Won't do anything to cater to a new line driver like you. Close your door, get off your phone, don't yap with your meet and get us our freight on time so we're not waiting two hours on you! Watch how you talk to me, I have some of the best ticket count our terminal of 70 drivers have seen.

For what I do, people know & respect me. Unless you're a line guy that's been around since a terminal opened, a TM probably still has trouble remembering he hired you!

Won't do anything to cater to a new line driver like you. Close your door, get off your phone, don't yap with your meet and get us our freight on time so we're not waiting two hours on you! Watch how you talk to me, I have some of the best ticket count our terminal of 70 drivers have seen.

For what I do, people know & respect me. Unless you're a line guy that's been around since a terminal opened, a TM probably still has trouble remembering he hired you!

Your assumptions make me smile, driver.

For the record I've driven both P&D and LH.

Keep doing doing what you do...earning your respect. No need to call it 2.0, but do your best and don't be an ******* out there.

as an example i clocked in at 830 this morning, after waiting 15 minutes for my bills, I walked to my trailer and checked the load manifest and found I lacked one delivery. I stopped a dock worker on a forklift and had him scan the pro and found it was on a trailer shown as being unloaded. I then walked to that trailer to find the door up and nothing unloaded and no one unloading it. Long story short I left the gate at 10am . The problems may not be at every terminal, but they are at mine. My loaded trailer was 50 per cent full and had one delivery that was in another route's area. It was 20 miles out of my area. My first stop was 15 miles from the terminal and my second was 45 miles from there(the out of route freight)(that route was still sitting at the dock when I left) and my third stop was 20 miles north of that one. By this time it was 1245. Such very good production numbers and it happens all the time. But our terminal O R numbers are near the top of our region and for the life of me I can not figure out how.