FedEx Freight | Are we merging or not?

I hear it's a done deal. We will be all one, and the National drivers will have to do just like they did when FedEx bought them. They will have to fill out apps again, then they will keep they ones they want, but they will not bring their seniorty with them. Just one more screwing for some. Hope the ones they keep have their little yellow forklift tag.

I've heard the same thing. The national guys I now have said their bosses are telling them it's going to happen. They were told they would be doing are long haul instead of PT's and we would do all the regional.

I hear it's a done deal. We will be all one, and the National drivers will have to do just like they did when FedEx bought them. They will have to fill out apps again, then they will keep they ones they want, but they will not bring their seniorty with them. Just one more screwing for some. Hope the ones they keep have their little yellow forklift tag.

I'd say that's about right. Freight will be the big dog and National will get to suck hind teet......figure about a third will be given the 'opportunity' to work for freight. So, say you're a guy with National who has been there 25 years and you get to go behind (maybe) a freight guy that has been there 25 days. Man, morale at the former National shop should be at an all time high. And when the 2 headed horse comes to call, bet real money they'll call on the National fellas first. Should be fun.............:dance:

I hear that if we do merge,since fxnl is already fedex the seniorty starts when watkins was bought,and will dove tail from there.

I heard that Mary in HR is really a man in a dress. I also heard starting Sept. 18th that we will be allowed to bring our pets to work with us. The only exception to this rule are that hampsters and gerbils will be prohibited!

These new rules effective Sept.18th only apply to individuals affiliated with city route bids.
Excemptions are as follows:
Extra board personal
Road/ Line haul personal
The above aforementioned personnel are prohibited from the new pet policy.

Footnote:
It is our feeling at FedEx Freight that city drivers are more more prone to loneliness and stress and merits the accompaniment of a friendly pooch or fuzzy pu$$y cat

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that Mary in HR is really a man in a dress. I also heard starting Sept. 18th that we will be allowed to bring our pets to work with us. The only exception to this rule are that hampsters and gerbils will be prohibited!

This new rule would be good. My buddy would like to look down into cars with me and pee on the tires. Not to sure how good he would be at moving freight though. Although I could leave him in the truck to take a nap and get rested for the ride home. Could even teach him how to drive with some pedal extensions and an automatic I could get some sleep.

I hear that if we do merge,since fxnl is already fedex the seniorty starts when watkins was bought,and will dove tail from there.
The National nameplate will be phased out. It will all be Freight, USA, CANADA,. Dropdeck trailers are being positioned around the system to move tractors around. 2 weeks ago several stock market analysts turned positive on our stock, after a meeting with Fedex execs. So, my opinion is that it is going to happen within the month of september and all seniority issues will be handled as of original hire date. That is the only fair way to cut the ranks by 10 %. This will be painful for all of us.

This is all very confusing. My source in Harrison told me that we are not merging but rather National will be re-branded. As of Sept. 18th they will be called FedEx P.U.D. (pick up and delivery) with a strong emphasis on taking your load no matter how big or small!

Sources close to me say this will be considered to many as STIFF competition and it may be HARD to BEAT their prices. Look out cause here they COME.

Personally I see this as yet another attempt at corporate trying to jam this down our throats! I think were all gonna get the SHAFT on this deal.

Hmmm..... I got a red one.

The National nameplate will be phased out. It will all be Freight, USA, CANADA.

This is the best way to do it, IMO.
Like out to CA from say the midwest, the customer would see FedEx Freight 3-day and 4-day with different pricing structures.
The 4-day would really be FXNL...but the customer wouldn't see that and really wouldn't care to see it.
One FedEx Freight truck would show up.
Bring the shipment(s) back to one consolidated terminal.
The key difference would be the linehaul systems and certain hub placements...but all of this would be invisible to the customer.

This is the best way to do it, IMO.
Like out to CA from say the midwest, the customer would see FedEx Freight 3-day and 4-day with different pricing structures.
The 4-day would really be FXNL...but the customer wouldn't see that and really wouldn't care to see it.
One FedEx Freight truck would show up.
Bring the shipment(s) back to one consolidated terminal.
The key difference would be the linehaul systems and certain hub placements...but all of this would be invisible to the customer.
That makes too much sense!!!

This is all very confusing. My source in Harrison told me that we are not merging but rather National will be re-branded. As of Sept. 18th they will be called FedEx P.U.D. (pick up and delivery) with a strong emphasis on taking your load no matter how big or small!

Sources close to me say this will be considered to many as STIFF competition and it may be HARD to BEAT their prices. Look out cause here they COME.

Personally I see this as yet another attempt at corporate trying to jam this down our throats! I think were all gonna get the SHAFT on this deal.

sounds to me like you may be a turd burgler!:moon2:

the one thing no one talks about total bills number of doors we at my terminal do not have enough doors out grown our terninal no way we could put national freight in here we can barely get in the city to deliver never mind doing pickups there is not a terminal in this area that could handle merging us way to much freight between us maybe in some areas this could happen but i dont see this in a major city then there is the yrc issue have you kept a eye on this situation stock price going no where pension payment coming due no money for this stock will be d/ listed if not over 1.00 soon something will have to give soon until then fred will do nothing fred does 5 10 yrs plan not just for today he knows there in the future will be lots of growth in the freight industry.

the one thing no one talks about total bills number of doors we at my terminal do not have enough doors out grown our terninal no way we could put national freight in here we can barely get in the city to deliver never mind doing pickups there is not a terminal in this area that could handle merging us way to much freight between us maybe in some areas this could happen but i dont see this in a major city then there is the yrc issue have you kept a eye on this situation stock price going no where pension payment coming due no money for this stock will be d/ listed if not over 1.00 soon something will have to give soon until then fred will do nothing fred does 5 10 yrs plan not just for today he knows there in the future will be lots of growth in the freight industry.

First of all, there's no growth in the LTL biz...nor will there be in the future.
Look around...factories moved offshore to China and Mexico...the real growth is in intermodal and international shipments.
Don't believe me? Ask Warren Buffett he just bought a railroad.
Fred Smith is buying a bunch of Boeing triple 7's just for that very reason.
JB Hunt has been one of the most successful carriers because they've gotten away from truckload and diversified into intermodal.
In LTL, the only way you make more $$$$ is either the shippers you have ship more or you take business away from the other guy.
It's a non-growth industry that's been consolidating for many years into a few larger players.

True, some terminals are at capacity, but there's no reason why they can't build new, larger facilities and combine the city operations.
Look at the commercial real estate markets in most major cities...plenty of empty space around.
The savings would be huge...their administrative/operational overhead would be cut by 1/2...not to mention things like tax incentives, increased P&D route productivity, paying rent on 1 facility vs 2, etc.
Trust me, I've seen it happen when I used to work at RPS after FedEx bought us.

I'm a driver for a company that pulls freight for both divisions - Freight and National. I don't really have a horse in this race, but in my humble opinion,FedEx Freight is the better managed division. I never understood why FedEx didn't just merge Watson into FedEx Freight to begin with.I hate you guys are going through this.I've met a lot of you drivers in terminals all over the USA. Most of you seem like a big happy family and some of you guys have helped me out in tight spots-places where a 28 footer barely goes and dispatch says put that 53 footer there!LOL (thanks!).I wish you all a happy conclusion to this situation.