SAIA | Atlanta Linehaul

So do system drivers get assigned their own truck? Doesn’t really matter but it would be nice to not have to move everything in and out all the time. Don’t even care if it’s a new truck. I was happiest at OD in my old ‘07 Columbia... we didn’t have assigned trucks but I was the only one on the extraboard willing to drive an old truck, so essentially I had an assigned truck.
None of “our” older trucks run 68(7). What I hear is, if they need your truck where you’re laying down, they will be using your truck

They take the trucks from the hotel and use them in the city?

If the terminal needs it they absolutely will. Wake up after your 10 and poof your truck is gone.

And BTW the hotels suck! I wouldn't want my worst enemies staying in these bug infested, unsafe, drug contaminated pieces of crap hotels!! And that's a fact. Sometimes you have to wonder is money really worth it??!!

If the terminal needs a truck they will take it, some of them will make sure the bring it back others will have make arrangements to pick you up and yet others will just leave you there... It is true that some of the hotel suck, and will make you feel like you are better off just sleeping in the truck. Others are nice/acceptable - it all varies terminal to terminal but just aren't that bad

They take the trucks from the hotel and use them in the city?
Yes. Or shuttle you from terminal. As far as the quality of hotels, I’ve been told if the terminal’s “preferred” hotel is actually unacceptable, one may stay anywhere that takes CLC card. As they say, most everything depends on the terminal. However, I would think Covid would allow some lodging flexibility.

Yes. Or shuttle you from terminal. As far as the quality of hotels, I’ve been told if the terminal’s “preferred” hotel is actually unacceptable, one may stay anywhere that takes CLC card. As they say, most everything depends on the terminal. However, I would think Covid would allow some lodging flexibility.
We stayed at a wide variety of qualities in hotels at OD, so I’m used to that. But I never had to give my truck up to a city driver during the day.

Back in the day, I was doing a OKC laydown. There was a hotel shuttle service so the terminal kept my assigned truck. That day, my completely operational, nothing whatsoever wrong with it, and clean truck was sent far, far, away and wasn't back in time for my departure. However, they had one that needed to go to DLS for repairs, which included backing up to a dumpster to clean it out. Yeah, the terminals will stick it to you.

I know this is a ATL linehaul thread but does anyone know how Saia operates linehaul out of the Orlando terminal? Do they have extra board there as well sleeping out or is everything a turn run home daily. Thanks for any help

I know this is a ATL linehaul thread but does anyone know how Saia operates linehaul out of the Orlando terminal? Do they have extra board there as well sleeping out or is everything a turn run home daily. Thanks for any help
If you hire on as line driver for Saia, just be prepared to be a system driver and with that be prepared to stay out ALL WEEK.
TM like to tell potential line drivers that they should have a set run, but after you get hired on that run they were adding central linehaul cancelled it.

If you hire on as line driver for Saia, just be prepared to be a system driver and with that be prepared to stay out ALL WEEK.
TM like to tell potential line drivers that they should have a set run, but after you get hired on that run they were adding central linehaul cancelled it.
I was told straight away by the terminal manager in Atlanta I would be a system driver, so no surprise there.

I was told straight away by the terminal manager in Atlanta I would be a system driver, so no surprise there.
Truckdriver is spot on. Low man has to pay his dues like everyone else. I guess you really need to decide if you want to stay in LTL. Many other opportunities elsewhere. I think you’ve been around long enough to know how LTL works. These companies don’t give a **** about you. It all comes down to money. So, I will say this! SAIA’s compensation package is about the best you can get in LTL. But make no mistake you will earn every dime when you first start out. This company is growing just like OD did when they were coming up. SAIA will catch them. This companies upper level management is the best in the business as far as growing the stockholders investment and that means job security. This company isn’t fly by night and you don’t have to worry about putting in 10-20 years only to have them go bankrupt. Just remember this company runs things almost like the military. If you can accept that then go for it. You will have good and bad days but just remember these SOB’s pay top dollar. And for me that was the bottom line.

Hey Mr. Rat...why did you delete your comment? I was about to give you the "golf clap!"
It’s was something I’ve said a thousand times and most don’t appreciate what I bring to the table. Many people prefer to learn the hard way and can’t take constructive criticism. Although I wouldn’t consider what I said critical many just don’t want to hear it. It was nice to hear I was going to get that “golf clap.” I appreciate that!

Last edited:
I guess my next question is how is the insurance? How much are the premiums for family coverage (me and kids, wife has her own) on medical dental and vision? I don’t like the 90 day waiting period, lots of companies have moved to a 60 day wait, but that’s not a dealbreaker. But I would like to know how good the coverage is.