Central Transport | Attendance Policy

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Any absence even with a doctors excuse is considered unexcused...First 2 verbal warning....3rd a write up....4th a one day suspension...5th a three day suspension...6th discharge....We were explained that any absence that is not preset is unexcused...Period...End of discussion....Ok ....How can you plan on a sickness...PTO can be used to get paid but it is still unexcused...If it's not planned it's unexcused...This just doesn't seem right....This may have always been this way up north but down here in the past if you called in sick they just took it from your PTO and nothing was said. Once your PTO was gone then they started saying something if it became a problem. Something just doesn't seem right about this. This doesn't really concern me because I don't have a attendance problem even being a old fart because my health is good. But some of the older guys with health issues now have to concern themselves with being fired...Even with a doctors excuse your history according to HR.

my terminal is the same, call off and they burn pto first, then vac. maybe they should re-evaluate this because nobody is really running to fill out applications here.

Great and I just burned my 3 ptos this week for some off time owell probley shutting down the west anyways. Gotta have some fun while you can.

here same thing,,,,,,, doctors excuse is only to RETURN to work, not to have time off. explained to us if you need time for a medical reason (say knee replace or something) and it is scheduled before hand, then it is excused as a medical situation ( has something to do with if it qualifies to be drawn on your medical leave payments if you have it).

the way it is read if you have the flu that shuts you down for a week, or are a single parent, just calling in sick can get you in trouble!!!!!!!!!!

Go to your doctor and get fmla. They cant say a word. As long as you give them a 2hour notice, u r good. But fyi if you use a fmla day, and you have vac days or pto days they take one or the other and attach it to it. Cover your azz

You can get fmla for any medical condition. Diebetes, chronic pain, kne shoulder back, etc. Just a heads up, trust me i had to cover my azz back in the day with it

yes, that is the policy here, they will pay you on your pto and vacation days, miss enough time and you will not have any left for the year for a real vacation.

My understanding is FMLA is used for extended time off only.....and once you use it you can't use it again for the same thing....Lets say you take 6 weeks off and use it to put your ageing mother in a retirement community for her safety and to get her affairs in order....You can never use it again for her ever.

My understanding is that you can NOT be disciplined for following the FMCSRs. My husband got written up for taking a sick day (and no, he did NOT get any verbal warnings, just a write-up), and when he asked his boss if the write-up was in line with FMCSR rules and regs, he got the famed "deer in the headlights" stare, followed by a stammered "Uhh... I don't know anything about that." o.O

FMCSR rules clearly state that "No driver shall operate a commercial motor vehicle, and a motor carrier shall not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle, while the driver's ability or alertness is so impaired, or so likely to become impaired, through fatigue, illness, or any other cause, as to make it unsafe for him/her to begin or continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle. However, in a case of grave emergency where the hazard to occupants of the commercial motor vehicle or other users of the highway would be increased by compliance with this section, the driver may continue to operate the commercial motor vehicle to the nearest place at which that hazard is removed." (That's 392.3, "Ill or fatigued operator.")

I'm still trying to get a hold of a lawyer who specializes in trucking to find out if this is a violation or not. We believe it is. We're pretty sure the company broke SOME law or rule by writing my husband up, even though at the time of the write-up he was told "You don't have an attendance problem but you're still getting written up." One supervisor went so far as to tell him that he HAD to sign the write-up (incorrect) and did not give him the option of writing his own comments on the form.

As for FMLA, it does not specify that you can only use it one time for any given reason; additionally, while you do not have to show your medical records to your employer, the employer can require you to provide medical certification to justify FMLA. Generally FMLA is not a good idea for a short-term illness (such as the flu), but is designed for illnesses or other situations (such as the birth of a child or the care of an elderly parent) that will require a longer period of time away from work.

My understanding is FMLA is used for extended time off only.....and once you use it you can't use it again for the same thing....Lets say you take 6 weeks off and use it to put your ageing mother in a retirement community for her safety and to get her affairs in order....You can never use it again for her ever.

actually, you are quoting to much...... yes you can take fmla for yourself or BLOOD family members. i will quote the law later and post for all, busy cooking dinner. the 6 week thing,,,,, last i knew it was a number 6, cannot remember if 6 weeks or 6 months, but it is accumulated based on a calender year.

now i remember what the 6 was, 6 months to care for a military service member, and 3 months for everything else. also, it is not just for BLOOD family, i see it covers step children too

Family and Medical Leave Act - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

Family and Medical Leave Act
Overview
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:
Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the servicemember’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).

This is my question....If I took 12 weeks off for lets say surgery on my prostate in Feburary and came back in April....If problems arose again for the same issue...The prostate...Could I take another 12 weeks in June? I was told you can only take it once for the same problem. Same with taking care of a sick family member...If I was off lets say to take care of one certain daughter in Feb....Could I take it again in June if she became sick again.?

Last edited by a moderator:
not the problem, it is the time. you can take it for any medical reason at any time for any amount of time over and over, BUT, it is only 12 weeks in any calender year TOTAL (6 months for care of military member). any more than that is up to the company, they can fire or lay you off over the issue

not the problem, it is the time. you can take it for any medical reason at any time for any amount of time over and over, BUT, it is only 12 weeks in any calender year TOTAL (6 months for care of military member). any more than that is up to the company, they can fire or lay you off over the issue
Thanks for the clarification

guess if I'm sick or injured off the job I'll just come in and force them to send me home or risk getting in a wreck.

that is a matter under the FMCSA rules "fit for duty" if you are under the weather, or have an injury, and cannot work safely, your TM in bound by Fed Law to send you home until you can show otherwise

that is a matter under the FMCSA rules "fit for duty" if you are under the weather, or have an injury, and cannot work safely, your TM in bound by Fed Law to send you home until you can show otherwise
But be careful ....Thats a double edged sword....Depending on what it is....Sometimes its not easy to get a release to go back to work...such as vertigo.

if a doctor gives you a slip of has an excuse in writing for an illness, it should be excused. this is crap and no wonder nobody wants to go above and beyond for this company. their decision making on how to run this company is the exact same reason why they're in the state their in.