Yellow | Bankruptcy Update From IBT

Sob killed organized ltl freight
I don't know how long you've been in this game but organized ltl has been dead for a long long time. Its been in horrible shape ever since the day Yellow, Roadway, Holland and New Penn drivers took major cuts to keep their companies afloat. It was dead when Hoffa called for a strike against Overnite Transportation without having the support of half their drivers. I wish the younger guys could have seen how strong this union was in ltl but its been killed off for a couple decades at this point. Was it better when the majority of drivers and dock workers were teamsters? No doubt in my mind it was. For you to suggest Sean O'Brian killed organized Freight makes you sound a little wet behind the ears.

Sean O'Brian simply held Yellow to the agreement they already made and said would work for them. Hourly, Yellow drivers had the lowest rate in the industry. They were only paying 25% of the rate into the pensions for over a decade. Early in the cuts guys gave up vacation time to help them. Every time they asked for changes to work rules they got them. Are you really suggesting Sean should have agreed to giving up more? If so, for what reason? Nothing would have turned this company around. How many changes have there been with the top brass over the years? Not one of them could show even a sign of turning that mess around.
I left over 10 years ago to avoid the mess many of you are going through right now. The only thing I keep wondering is how did they keep it going all this time.

Last edited:
I don't know how long you've been in this game but organized ltl has been dead for a long long time. Its been in horrible shape ever since the day Yellow, Roadway, Holland and New Penn drivers took major cuts to keep their companies afloat. It was dead when Hoffa called for a strike against Overnite Transportation without having the support of half their drivers. I wish the younger guys could have seen how strong this union was in ltl but its been killed off for a couple decades at this point. Was it better when the majority of drivers and dock workers were teamsters? No doubt in my mind it was. For you to suggest Sean O'Brian killed organized Freight makes you sound a little wet behind the ears.

Sean O'Brian simply held Yellow to the agreement they already made and said would work for them. Hourly, Yellow drivers had the lowest rate in the industry. They were only paying 25% of the rate into the pensions for over a decade. Early in the cuts guys gave up vacation time to help them. Every time they asked for changes to work rules they got them. Are you really suggesting Sean should have agreed to giving up more? If so, for what reason? Nothing would have turned this company around. How many changes have there been with the top brass over the years? Not one of them could show even a sign of turning that mess around.
I left over 10 years ago to avoid the mess many of you are going through right now. The only thing I keep wondering is how did they keep it going all this time.
Deadhead, your points are well made. The big issue here is: O'Brien thought he was God almighty, and he knows what's best for us. Trouble is, he didn't ask us what we thought about that except for a survey that we never even heard the results of. HIs actions were wrong, and while I agree that the management was the principal cause of this mess, O'Brien didn't show up with a sponge-mop; he showed up (finally) with a billy club.

Deadhead, your points are well made. The big issue here is: O'Brien thought he was God almighty, and he knows what's best for us. Trouble is, he didn't ask us what we thought about that except for a survey that we never even heard the results of. HIs actions were wrong, and while I agree that the management was the principal cause of this mess, O'Brien didn't show up with a sponge-mop; he showed up (finally) with a billy club.
With all due respect, the past 15 were a nightmare for Yellow, OBrien was not singling them out. I believe Yellow was going out no matter what & Dawkins didn’t wan blood on his hands.

Why should SOB have to ask something we all know the answer too, you think all of a sudden, a bunch of yes voters was going to vote no for a BS contract. The only way I see you guys voting no is if the offer was a $15hr raise and 0.10 a mile raise on the signing of the contract, with raises throughout the remaining of the contract. I can hear the conversation in the breakroom, “they don’t need all that”…..”costing the company money”😂😂😂😂

Company ACCEPTED our givebacks for 15 years and left with the money, even gave themselves a bankruptcy bonus, and they were ready to take more if it wasn’t for O’Brien brave leadership. We never considered our givebacks as investments, and never ask for it to be considered as investment.

IMG_6786.md.jpegAnd O’Brien

Why should SOB have to ask something we all know the answer too, you think all of a sudden, a bunch of yes voters was going to vote no for a BS contract. The only way I see you guys voting no is if the offer was a $15hr raise and 0.10 a mile raise on the signing of the contract, with raises throughout the remaining of the contract. I can hear the conversation in the breakroom, “they don’t need all that”…..”costing the company money”😂😂😂😂

Company ACCEPTED our givebacks for 15 years and left with the money, even gave themselves a bankruptcy bonus, and they were ready to take more if it wasn’t for O’Brien brave leadership. We never considered our givebacks as investments, and never ask for it to be considered as investment.

IMG_6786.md.jpegAnd O’Brien
Dam right, Obrien and crew negotiated the best contract raises I have ever seen in my 27 years period. There is no doubt in my mind if POS Hoffa was still here, we would have gotten 40 cents hr and been told its great deal.

The real problem is once deregulation occurred the teamster LTL Model was outdated
Competitors were faster, safer, higher quality and better financed.
Instead of developing a competitive business model/contract the teamster kept on with business as usual.
As the 500 or so teamster carriers died off they continued to do nothing to modernize. Competitors never gave away the secret sauce and today we have just 2 teamster carriers left. One looks as if it considers purchasing the other, who knows.
No matter what happens these carriers were condemned by operating with a far outdated business model in a modern world.
It was very easy to see.

Instead of developing a competitive business model/contract the teamster kept on with business as usual.
Some changed their business model years ago. Maybe do a little research instead of injecting your outdated opinion. Sure a lot of union carriers failed due to deregulation but more failed because there was so many, something had to give & it did. Now the non unions have to offer a competitive package just to get drivers (well until the last year)

Some changed their business model years ago. Maybe do a little research instead of injecting your outdated opinion. Sure a lot of union carriers failed due to deregulation but more failed because there was so many, something had to give & it did. Now the non unions have to offer a competitive package just to get drivers (well until the last year)
Not to nit pick, but ABF offered huge sign on bonuses to new drivers/dock as well recently. Everyone was hurting for help.

And that’s why I put into parentheses until last year ( not to nit pick)
My point was that it wasn't just the nons that were doing that which is what I think you were implying when you said, and I quote... "Now the non unions have to offer a competitive package just to get drivers (well until the last year)."

My point was that it wasn't just the nons that were doing that which is what I think you were implying when you said, and I quote... "Now the non unions have to offer a competitive package just to get drivers (well until the last year)."
Everyone was offering a more competitive package a year ago. The nons over the past 4-8 years have offered more in the form of wages. The one carrier that comes close to union overtime is FedEx….

I do my research, none have substantially changed from the antiquated work rules. That was Yellow's biggest issue. SOB let Yellow shut down rather change work rules.
There is a reason only 2 teamster LTL carriers remain out of nearly 500.
Yet non union carriers pay better, offer more long term security, have much better working conditions and offer better services to customers.
The next few years will be interesting for the surviving teamster carriers.......

I do my research, none have substantially changed from the antiquated work rules. That was Yellow's biggest issue. SOB let Yellow shut down rather change work rules.
Yet non union carriers pay better, offer more long term security, have much better working conditions and offer better services to customers.
The next few years will be interesting for the surviving teamster carriers.......
I can tell you the two that changed their business models are doing pretty well. Yellow had 15 years with numerous chafe of operations that failed. They had utility drivers like ABF uses & they scraped it after a few months. It’s was bad management that brought them to this point….

Please give examples of non-union carriers offering better pay, more long term security, and better working conditions. My current hourly rate considering my pension and healthcare contributions paid by my employer is over $50.00 an hour. I have over 29-years in with the same employer and at the same location (long term security). And, I seriously doubt that any other LTL company has better working conditions than I currently have.
As far as better services to the customer, you will have to be more detailed than just saying that non-unions offer better services to the customer.
So bring on examples of all of these things you claim are better at non-union LTL’s and let’s debate it. Otherwise, do as GO40 stated and do your research before flapping your gums about things you think you know but obviously don’t!!!

Changing work rules come at a COST, Yellow didn’t want to pay that cost. Everything has a cost. When fuel goes up, so does goods and services.

offers more long term security??? Tell that to the all the employees at the 29 terminals FedEx Freight closed August 12th ( and FedEx is not done yet). Also All the FedEx Express offices that was closed and then merged with fedex ground . Those drivers that chose to stay( or was even offered a job) are now working for contractors .