FedEx Freight | Bargain vs Beg

You're still wanting something for nothing.....guess that's why you support the union.
Do your own homework, you just might learn something.....like how to make a post that actually makes sense.

He is all about wanting something for nothing.
Maybe I'm just stupid, but how does supporting a union equate to wanting something for nothing? As employees both union and non-union can't it be argued that we both want something for nothing under your reasoning? Only difference really is that as union you could have some protection. And with the union you would know what your pay raises would actually be for the life of the contract, your insurance would probably be better, and you would probably have a better pension. Now, FedEx offers the above just in smaller increments. O yeah they can take them away without any warning what so ever. They could stop the pension completely it's not the law that they have one. In a few years the way things are it will probably be cheaper for them to pay the penalty for not offering company insurance so you have to go on obamacare, and they could stop the company match on your 401k at any time. They could also take away any amount of vacation that they wanted, and also cut our pay back just any ole time, without the union.

So I guess really what I'm voting for if I get a chance to vote is stability and the ability to have a little say in what happens to all of us as employees.

Have a happy thanksgiving everyone. If your traveling please be safe and God bless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You obviously weren't paying attention to Mr Brown when he was speaking, must've been to busy trying to discredit him. He posted the management clause up on the overhead and clearly said that was the first thing the company would ask for, just as i described it...no balance or procedure, full reign to run the company as they saw fit.

Best for all involved? Again, NC is a RTW state, won't be to many "involved".
Dues check off clause does not mean, forced payroll deduction for non-members. Unless you sign up for membership, you won't pay dues in RTW States. . Still a non-issue, to save the union guy from making the rounds every month to collect. Yeah it's a benefit to the union, but at zero added cost to the members.

Oh Sir, I payed very close attention. It wasn't Brown, it was Brock, but the story was the same. I did my homework BEFORE, therefore I was aware of the facts prior to the meeting, so I knew, not only the facts he did present, but also the facts he LEFT OUT. Those fact are equally important. You have just enough information, to be dangerous, in making decisions on this topic, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, if you mean benefit by not getting wage and benefit increases b/c we're "stuck" in negotiations, I'll pass.

You my friend need to pull the union wool up form over your eyes, you can't see the forest for the trees!
The company doesn't benefit when a union is present so I DO see the company going overboard in their resistance....just for that fact alone. How WOULD a union benefit the company?

There is a driver surplus in Clt, every time a job listing for a driver pops up, the server almost crashes!
The problem today is people think they're irreplaceable....they're not.

Yes, we have suffered losses to an extent...but we still have a job dont we?

My "gig" is exactly what I want!
No worries from the purchase carriers, they have a role to play to insure profitability.

You have been repeatedly wrong of your assessment of me and my motives. If you'd been following this discussion, you'd know: I have no union fetish, I used to sound a lot like you, but that was before this company changed the terms significantly, over time, with trends that are not favorable to the employees. Since I do, in fact, pay attention, I see these things evolving, and have come to support representation at THIS company.

I've done extensive research, and found that many of my former "beliefs" on the topic, were flawed. For example, Dues, do not significantly offset the higher compensation packages, as I was lead to believe. And Labor unions are in fact, a Critical component of Capitalism.

I never said unionization was "a benefit to the company", but it IS a benefit to the workers. AFTER the workers are organized, THEN it is in the Company's "best interest", to negotiate, in true good faith.

I also have a hard time believing there is a Driver surplus (in CLT), as industry trends say otherwise. Not going to nit pick the P/T issue, time will tell.

The difference between you and me? I generally post proof to support my position, and when wrong, I will concede. You, thus far? Not so much.

You're still wanting something for nothing.....guess that's why you support the union.
Do your own homework, you just might learn something.....like how to make a post that actually makes sense.

lmao just the response i expected from you. You have no facts. I have done my research unlike you i can understand what i read.

Dues check off clause does not mean, forced payroll deduction for non-members. Unless you sign up for membership, you won't pay dues in RTW States. . Still a non-issue, to save the union guy from making the rounds every month to collect. Yeah it's a benefit to the union, but at zero added cost to the members.

To expound a little on the above allow me to provide the following link:

Can I be required to be a union member or pay dues to a union? | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation

The link provides Supreme Court case links and a summary of who has to pay dues, who doesn't, who may have to pay agency fees in lieu of dues and who doesn't.

Happy Thanksgiving! Time to go put the turkey in the roaster!

Sounds like you wont change yours even if the truth fell out of the sky, landed on your face and started to wiggle.

Not when it comes to the Teamsters . Can't stand them want nothing to do with them. And what is all this Slave stuff??? last time I checked slavery went out back around 1865 or so. If you don't like it at FXF YOU are FREE to leave..

Oh Sir, I payed very close attention. It wasn't Brown, it was Brock, but the story was the same. I did my homework BEFORE, therefore I was aware of the facts prior to the meeting, so I knew, not only the facts he did present, but also the facts he LEFT OUT. Those fact are equally important. You have just enough information, to be dangerous, in making decisions on this topic, IMHO.
I agree with your first paragraph, it doesn't pertain to non-members. Is does pertain to its members though and if the union was all about the employees, shouldn't their first priority be you? Why go after making sure THEY get paid first before YOU? Doesn't sound like you're in their best interest to me...that was my point.

As a union supporter, you may have had ALL the facts going in but were you open minded to what he was saying or had you already formulated your opinion, thus spent your time not listening but rather trying to discredit....as many supporters in Clt did? Not saying your speaker was right or wrong but wasn't he just saying what the company wanted you to hear....no different than the union saying what they want you to hear?
I'm glad you did your homework and formulated your own opinion just as I, unfortunately many others didn't.
At the end of the day we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have been repeatedly wrong of your assessment of me and my motives. If you'd been following this discussion, you'd know: I have no union fetish, I used to sound a lot like you, but that was before this company changed the terms significantly, over time, with trends that are not favorable to the employees. Since I do, in fact, pay attention, I see these things evolving, and have come to support representation at THIS company.

I've done extensive research, and found that many of my former "beliefs" on the topic, were flawed. For example, Dues, do not significantly offset the higher compensation packages, as I was lead to believe. And Labor unions are in fact, a Critical component of Capitalism.

I never said unionization was "a benefit to the company", but it IS a benefit to the workers. AFTER the workers are organized, THEN it is in the Company's "best interest", to negotiate, in true good faith.

I also have a hard time believing there is a Driver surplus (in CLT), as industry trends say otherwise. Not going to nit pick the P/T issue, time will tell.

The difference between you and me? I generally post proof to support my position, and when wrong, I will concede. You, thus far? Not so much.
Yes, I obviously showed up late to the party. I will agree, my assessment of you was off, after reading more of your post you actually sound like someone I'm friends with in Lou.

Since we agree that the union is not a benefit to the company, how could it possibly be good for us? Yes, employees would gain from representation in the short term but who's in it for the short term? We go as the company goes, no?

Aren't industry trends set on a national level? There may be surpluses in some areas where there's not in others. In Clt there is a surplus.

The only difference between us is that you're pro and I'm anti...(well, there's prolly several more but...).

I can post proof for my position but I choose only to do so in certain cases. Why?
1) I would rather someone take the time to do their own research instead of listening to one side, who knows what they may learn!
2) For every website that supports my opinion, there's one that disagrees, that's the wonderful World Wide Web.

I also disagree with your last statement. I've admitted several times when you were right and have even went so far to "like" a few of your post.
Isn't admitting your right the same as admitting I'm wrong....just without saying it?

Have been doing some figuring. In talking to some drivers and figuring out what they get in total compensation, compared to what I make, and this is just figured on what my run pays and what I pay for insurance,( NO ONE ELSE) the union driver that is actually making less per mile and per hour because of a recent consession is still making $282.65 a week more than me. Now is that take home? No it is not but it is in retirement and health benefits, which takes some stress off and in the long run less stress means a healthier you. That is what IMHO, bargaining for a contract that would benefit all will, do for you. Is it going to be easy to get that first contract, no not by a long shot, and for the naysayers that say FedEx will run freight around and close terminals, remember CLT is a major hub. (1) where will they run that freight to, and (2) the company will have to prove that it was a normal COO, as the NLRB will be on something of that magnitude like a duck on a junebug before the dust was settled. So CLT has voted yes FedEx will be compelled to bargain and bargain in good faith. Remember it will eventually be the NLRB that will decide if they are bargaining in good faith if an impass is declared.

This message is hidden because redracer brings no facts to the argument just his personnel opinions.
Judging by the number of likes, emails, txt, and phone calls that I receive on a daily basis, your efforts of trying to discredit me (a typical union tactic) aren't working!
You can keep wasting your time trying though, it IS a free country.

Yes, I obviously showed up late to the party. I will agree, my assessment of you was off, after reading more of your post you actually sound like someone I'm friends with in Lou.

Since we agree that the union is not a benefit to the company, how could it possibly be good for us? Yes, employees would gain from representation in the short term but who's in it for the short term? We go as the company goes, no?

Aren't industry trends set on a national level? There may be surpluses in some areas where there's not in others. In Clt there is a surplus.

The only difference between us is that you're pro and I'm anti...(well, there's prolly several more but...).

I can post proof for my position but I choose only to do so in certain cases. Why?
1) I would rather someone take the time to do their own research instead of listening to one side, who knows what they may learn!
2) For every website that supports my opinion, there's one that disagrees, that's the wonderful World Wide Web.

I also disagree with your last statement. I've admitted several times when you were right and have even went so far to "like" a few of your post.
Isn't admitting your right the same as admitting I'm wrong....just without saying it?
Fair enough, you can't really be expected to have read 20 pages of (50 page) threads.

The only significant problem I have with your above stated position (in Bold) is that just because the Company is better off without the Union, that doesn't mean we, as employees would not be better off. We would likely be much better off, IMHO. Obviously WE COULD be better off with the union, and do so without "breaking" the Corp. Bank. No reason to think that gains & stability can't be long term.

UPS is profitable, while paying "top shelf" wages and benefits. Is lower compensations, the main advantage, you'd like FedEx to have? Perhaps the ONLY advantage? UPS drivers do work hard, and efficient, while making the "prevailing wage". They run a pretty stable (long term), and highly respected operation over there.

I think representation has a high potential to offer balance between corporate needs and the worker's needs. Basically, I think it's that simple.