Yellow | Black friday at yrc worldwide!

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
Rumor had it Friday at Yellow that it's parent company YRC Worldwide had laid off 300 non-union people at all it's subsidiaries (Yellow, Roadway, USF Holland, USF Reddaway, New Penn, Reimer, etc....)! Management is calling it "Black Friday"! Rumor also had it that another 350 non-union employees would be laid off before the end of the year!

Evidently the 3rd quarter is not going very well, and Dollar Bill and the Smidster are "cutting the fat" and throwing out the "dead wood"! Also rumored is some "buyouts" for people getting close to retirement! Anybody got any more details?!:hide:

Not a rumor. It happened. Unfortunately some of the real "dead weight" still have jobs and those that busted their @$$ are gone.

Also rumored is some "buyouts" for people getting close to retirement! Anybody got any more details?!:hide:

I hadn't heard it called black Friday, but people were definitely in a down mood. The headcount drop seemed to impact Overland Park/Akron about as much as field locations.

As for the buyout, I think it is a standard severance package. If you are close to retirement, you call it retirement. If you aren't close to retirement, you call it hard layoff/fired/job elimination. Either way the package is the same (so many weeks of pay based on years of service).

I know some people that were given the chance to volunteer, and they did. Other people (most) were just whacked.

Times are tough. I hate to see the impact to people and their families.

CorpOffice

This is like Con-way's unification last year...closed down 2 of the 3 components because you don't want 3 people doing the same job...now just a single G.O.
It's sad for those involved, but a necessary evil, especially in today's economic climate..

At Indy, Smitty Retired this week after 31 years; he was probably our best SOM. His job (Daytime Next-Day guy) was being eliminated, he was being demoted or let go. We'll miss him. Wish him the Best! But it's life. We move on. We've got a couple of New to the Industry kids working as Dock Foremen to learn to take his place....?????.......

At Indy, Smitty Retired this week after 31 years; he was probably our best SOM. His job (Daytime Next-Day guy) was being eliminated, he was being demoted or let go. We'll miss him. Wish him the Best! But it's life. We move on. We've got a couple of New to the Industry kids working as Dock Foremen to learn to take his place....?????.......

Ol' Kent, I used to drive him crazy, he was a good guy though. I remember when Myers was CEO he cut a lot of jobs and it helped turn us around. I hate any suffering it brings to the families that are disrupted and pray that the people involved find better positions than they held at YRC.

definitely not funny

I wish only the best to anyone involved. There has to be a silver lining and may those involved find a gold one as they apply for something else.

Black Friday Aftermath!

:hide:The last I heard, 300 were let go this past Friday, and another 350 will be let go before the end of the year, and even more after the first of the year if "freight doesn't pick up"! If YRC is chopping heads during our traditional busy months, what's it going to be like when it gets "slow"?! I don't even want to think about how many layoffs there is going to be on the dock/yard/city/road/office! Let's pray that the economy picks up after the national election is over!:chairshot:

I'm from a different board here, so pardon me. .... a couple of new kids in the industry .... learning to take his place ....:hide:.. why let a good man slip away ..and take two to replace him ...... I'm sure I have missed something here.

Black Friday at YRC

Those who were laid off (I was one of them) were not all dead weight as someone said. I worked for USF Holland as a part time employee in the office. It's a pretty sad day when they let go of very qualified people only to keep those with nothing much to offer. One is on the cusp of retirement, and she wasn't offered anything to leave early. Instead, they cut part time people who can work up to 35+ hours with no benefits? It makes no sense. I worked in an office that already had a skeleton crew. I don't even want to see what will happen if someone becomes ill. There won't be anyone there to complete their tasks while they are off recuperating. Thanks to all who made positive and supportive comments to those of us who were "Black Friday" victims!

Those who were laid off (I was one of them) were not all dead weight as someone said. I worked for USF Holland as a part time employee in the office. It's a pretty sad day when they let go of very qualified people only to keep those with nothing much to offer. One is on the cusp of retirement, and she wasn't offered anything to leave early. Instead, they cut part time people who can work up to 35+ hours with no benefits? It makes no sense. I worked in an office that already had a skeleton crew. I don't even want to see what will happen if someone becomes ill. There won't be anyone there to complete their tasks while they are off recuperating. Thanks to all who made positive and supportive comments to those of us who were "Black Friday" victims!
Welcome to the boards, 4of5. Glad to have you here. DS.

Black Friday at YRC

Thank you for the welcome. I am not a Teamster, nor a truck driver (I assure you, you don't want me out there driving an 18 wheeler!) I am safer (and so is everyone else!) being in an office environment. My boyfriend is a truck driver and one of your fellow teamsters. I want to tell you that I have the utmost respect for all of you, and stick to your guns and get what you deserve!! Last Friday, when I left, a few of the guys were still outside. I told them what just happened, and they were all so supportive and nice to me. However, I feel bad for the TM on Tuesday as I am sure they will be giving him an earful!! But, I would rather see my job go then see anymore of the drivers laid off......

Anyone giving the TM an earful is sadly misled...in 99 of 100 cases, the TM is the last person left fighting to hold onto the folks being let go...unfortunately, he loses 99 of 100 times as well...this decision came from 40-50 rungs up the ladder..nice safe place to make those decisions...

They are letting the wrong people go. We at our terminal have 5 on layoff. This past week on 8-2008 were told the the 4 remaining would be back on this week. Ok, great, this week we have all the business to work back on for next week. But he puts the guys on this week to be able to lay off again this friday, so next week they will be back as needed. This guy has lost all respect of all his employees including his supervisors, we has two retire in the past month because they were tired of the b.s. From him trying to make the numbers look good. You know the saying...figures dont lie...but liars will figure