Yellow | Black friday at yrc worldwide!

To clarify the last post, there is enough freight for these guys to work back on for next week, but this gives the guy an opportunity to lay them back off next week and abuse them as needed. Talk about tough love

I don't disagree with you BoxBoss. But, the Teamsters are quite determined and I know that they speak their peace about things. I know this decision wasn't entirely from the TM, but, you are right, his office is the one most affected. The funny thing to me is this: My job was cut due to the whole company having to tighten its belt. Yet, now, the full time person who should be retiring is going to be paid overtime to get the job leftovers done! I have to admit, I have never seen any company as this one, that cuts a job to "save" money, then spends more in overtime to compensate for the loss of a warm body in the office. I have worked in business and managed departments before myself and this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in the name of saving money!

YRC, Why not the company as a whole???????????????

Bring the cutting to WB Holland style and get rid of the DEAD weight that won't pick up the GOOD freight. Must be tough to tell corp. account:chairshot::hide: that you are 2 good to pick up their freight but can pick up 70 bills on a bad claims account.

I hadn't heard it called black Friday, but people were definitely in a down mood. The headcount drop seemed to impact Overland Park/Akron about as much as field locations.

As for the buyout, I think it is a standard severance package. If you are close to retirement, you call it retirement. If you aren't close to retirement, you call it hard layoff/fired/job elimination. Either way the package is the same (so many weeks of pay based on years of service).

I know some people that were given the chance to volunteer, and they did. Other people (most) were just whacked.

Times are tough. I hate to see the impact to people and their families.

CorpOffice

It's tough all over and just not at YRC.. The economy has never fully recovered from 911 and then oil spurting up like it has these last few years or so has not helped either. We all victims here of "Free Markets"... We have been sold a bill of goods from our leaders in D.C. about competition makes the companies stronger but in fact it takes away from the service because you have to operate cheaper and cheaper to survive, thus the consumer is actually being ripped off because the same level of commitment is not there from everything you buy from transportation to the shoes you wear..

great point

It's tough all over and just not at YRC.. The economy has never fully recovered from 911 and then oil spurting up like it has these last few years or so has not helped either. We all victims here of "Free Markets"... We have been sold a bill of goods from our leaders in D.C. about competition makes the companies stronger but in fact it takes away from the service because you have to operate cheaper and cheaper to survive, thus the consumer is actually being ripped off because the same level of commitment is not there from everything you buy from transportation to the shoes you wear..
I fully agree with this post.:1036316054:

I care. please continue to post

Those who were laid off (I was one of them) were not all dead weight as someone said. I worked for USF Holland as a part time employee in the office. It's a pretty sad day when they let go of very qualified people only to keep those with nothing much to offer. One is on the cusp of retirement, and she wasn't offered anything to leave early. Instead, they cut part time people who can work up to 35+ hours with no benefits? It makes no sense. I worked in an office that already had a skeleton crew. I don't even want to see what will happen if someone becomes ill. There won't be anyone there to complete their tasks while they are off recuperating. Thanks to all who made positive and supportive comments to those of us who were "Black Friday" victims!
I'm trying to understand the madness. Were you sales, part of yellow moving in with roadway? or something else? I pray you will find something much better. Your comments are coveted...Please continue to post. You are still a Trucking Friend. Thanks in advance.

Old for New ??

At Indy, Smitty Retired this week after 31 years; he was probably our best SOM. His job (Daytime Next-Day guy) was being eliminated, he was being demoted or let go. We'll miss him. Wish him the Best! But it's life. We move on. We've got a couple of New to the Industry kids working as Dock Foremen to learn to take his place....?????.......

When things are tight, it seems that older guys that really knows the ins and outs that come with years of experience, would be more valuable??

Free Market Lies

You said it all Snortin Nortin
We need a FAIR MARKET. Not a Free one! The FREE Market is just a race to the bottom for our standard of living in America.

wrong

Probably the one's laid off were the poorest performers in their terminals.
The ones released were hired (just like you and me, because of potential /experience). They were released because they were doing "ditto work". You might want to see who is copying yours. (HUH, What?):chairshot::nutkick::smilie_132:

I worked in Billing/office. While I value the work of those who have been there longer, the one person I work with who is ready to retire is already retired in one sense that she does the least amount possible at work and leaves it to others. She is just biding her time until she can retire. (Her husband has to pay off his truck is what she says!) I knew the company is having a tough time, just like many others. But, some things make no sense! Thank you for all of your kind words and support. I know there are others out there who have much more to deal with, or vent about than I.

ed d linehaul manager at indy retired friday. Or had no choice,who knows he had over thirty years.

One of our "survivors" Yell/Indy Dock Managers said it had to do with Company Paid Vacation. That Ed was talking of staying past the first of next year, when he would get 6 more weeks of paid vacation. Then he was told the new policy for management is after the first of the year, work two months (or some such) , get a week vacation (over 30 years)-- no more "lump sum" vacations carried over. It appears that this may be what decided it for most of the guys leaving, for "only the well-seasoned" left. From what I heard, Ed was talking of staying in the morning-- by noon he had his desk packed....

This also ties into my saying "two kids" will take Smitty's place. Together their salaries without vacation are far cheaper than Smitty's plus his vacation. Same goes for working people OT in place of calling people back. Benefits cost.

Something changed in their retirement accounts in the past month as well. I have been told the "Older" guys could still get theirs, but the "younger" guys investments are more controlled, and some are "locked" so they cannot just quit and get theirs, or something........I don't know the facts on it, but it may have contributed .....

Snortin' Norton. As always, we disagree on our views of Free Trade. I don't know that it was really ever stated that it would make the survvors stronger, but it WAS stated and assumed that it WILL drive the weaker out of business.

I'm too old to change and be scared of competition now.....Bring it on! I'll find some way to feed my Family. God has promised He will provide. He always has, so I have Faith He WILL! (and no, I wasn't "cut"(laid-off, I'm in the union)) ; yet anyways........perhaps this Winter, but not just yet.....

Something changed in their retirement accounts in the past month as well. I have been told the "Older" guys could still get theirs, but the "younger" guys investments are more controlled, and some are "locked" so they cannot just quit and get theirs, or something........I don't know the facts on it, but it may have contributed .....

The "old" defined benefits pension for non-union employees is frozen. This means no more contributions to the plan. Staying longer won't increase anyone's old pension. A new pension is supposed to start in January. No details have been provided yet other than it is a defined contribution (not like the old defined benefits) and that the contribution will be bigger for more senior employees. They suggested that it will work like a 401k.

Staying longer won't increase anyone's old pension. .

OK, so that means a person then wanting to stay longer (after 30 years) for more retirement, and more vacation (for instance a lump 6 weeks off, then contemplate reitirement) would have been wasting his time to stay longer. That COULD then have been tied to the enmasse exit.

Or it could have been something else entirely. I must have missed the memo; surely they sent me one?????!!!!!!!!! My answerring machine was off too. I'm quite sure they called me....:smilie_132:

Those who were laid off (I was one of them) were not all dead weight as someone said. I worked for USF Holland as a part time employee in the office. It's a pretty sad day when they let go of very qualified people only to keep those with nothing much to offer. One is on the cusp of retirement, and she wasn't offered anything to leave early. Instead, they cut part time people who can work up to 35+ hours with no benefits? It makes no sense. I worked in an office that already had a skeleton crew. I don't even want to see what will happen if someone becomes ill. There won't be anyone there to complete their tasks while they are off recuperating. Thanks to all who made positive and supportive comments to those of us who were "Black Friday" victims!

I was let go Tues at 0830 after coming in and opening the terminal at 0130. TM is a "delegator" and now has only 1 supervisor and a clerk to delegate to. This morning was the first morning I ever saw him get off his @$$ and off the phone long enough to do something. Guys had little or no respect for him before and would not work with him, I wish I could be a fly on the wall.
Ironically, 6 years ago yesterday I lost my job at CF...think next year I'll be out of town, maybe my luck will change... Good luck to all of you affected by "Black Friday".

say it aint so!

...Or it could have been something else entirely. I must have missed the memo; surely they sent me one?????!!!!!!!!! My answerring machine was off too. I'm quite sure they called me....:smilie_132:
Oh, no! :shock:
jimmy g is out of the loop? :hide:

Best of luck to you. Next year will be a better year! I really want the company to survive and thrive; but, at this rate, I really, really question what is going on.....

Atlanta/Nashville

Anyone have any news on the cuts in Atlanta and/or Nashville? I have a lot of old friends there, hope they were lucky

OK, so that means a person then wanting to stay longer (after 30 years) for more retirement, and more vacation (for instance a lump 6 weeks off, then contemplate reitirement) would have been wasting his time to stay longer. That COULD then have been tied to the enmasse exit.
Pretty much. I'm not sure about the vacation policy, but Yellow has been a pro-rated vacation for at least 10 years. That means if you quit after 2 months, you get 2/12s of your vacation as credit. A new retirement plan will be subsituted in January, but for an old timer, that just won't make a different. All these changes happened 7/1/08. After that, a lot of the 30+ people (and some of the 20-30 year people) just don't have an incentive to keep working other than salary and medical benefits.

In the mean time, if you are one of the "lucky" ones left behind, then you get to do your old job plus the job of the guy that got let go. :bgroovy::bgroovy:

I'm from a different board here, so pardon me. .... a couple of new kids in the industry .... learning to take his place ....:hide:.. why let a good man slip away ..and take two to replace him ...... I'm sure I have missed something here.

Slack,

Sorry to disagree with you, but you've hit a major pet peeve of mine. In some cases, the guy with 30+ years of experience cannot be replaced by 2 new kids, but several times I've seen old timers that are coasting to retirement. I've also seen old timers that haven't learned a new thing or done a new thing in years - maybe decades.

If someone comes in, works hard, tries to do better than the day/year before, then that experience pays off. If someone comes in to coast, take it easy, talk it up in the office with old friends, then I say send them packing.

We cannot afford dead weight at YRCW - at any level.

CorpOffice

PS You hit a nerve for me. Sorry if I over reacted.