Yellow | Black friday at yrc worldwide!

dead weight

I couldn't let this go..........this isn't meant to be a labor vs management response,just plain facts....We have been BEGGING our T.M. for over a year to make sales calls and improve yield,he doesn't even talk to the city drivers about customers...Hasn't landed one account in the 14 months he's been here....In feb his sales boss met with us and told us THERE would be sales calls made (Dave G).On an average he makes about 2-3 sales calls a month and there to the customers that we had long before he got here.Not tryin to sound cynical,just the cold hard truth....and by the way,other than the potential for a lay-off we've got it made! We don't have effectual management,I feel for the mangers that are doing right and losing their jobs....just don't say that YRCW won't tolerate laziness,we see it daily in the Atl area....Until corporate starts following up on low performers and putting viable people in place,we will continue to see slow or no growth.

I feel for the mangers that are doing right and losing their jobs....just don't say that YRCW won't tolerate laziness,we see it daily in the Atl area....Until corporate starts following up on low performers and putting viable people in place,we will continue to see slow or no growth.
I agree with you. I won't say that YRCW won't tolerate laziness. In fact, we tolerate excuses and poor performance in many areas.

I hate it. It drives me crazy.

CorpOffice

On a "Brighter"????? note, we got a new TM (we had none since the first of July) in Indy Tues. Came from Roadway. Sounds positive so far. Supposedly HUGE on accountability. Wants to ride with the drivers and the salesmen (we got two new ones of them last week, came from Alvan). I'm sure he'll be tougher and want people to work (who wouldn't-- we've been unsupervised at all for 2 months?), but is supposedly a FAIR guy-- work and he'll leave you alone??????

Hopefully, this'll change our daily p/us. Two years ago, Roadway and Yellow both picked up 900 or so bills per day. Last year, Roadway picked up about 1,000/1100 while Yellow picked up around 650-700. Now, most weeks we struggle to pick up 500-- one day last week we fell under that. Big R is picking up 1300 bills per day in the same town. New guy said he expects to grow us so we forget R exists.....

Which brings me to another point, corpoffice; when I was "on the street" I would ask the salemen this: I back into a customer. Holland is there picking up two trailers full. Roadway is there picking up one trailer full. We're picking up two skids. I ask the Salesmen why, and they tell me "We aren't allowed to compete with those two." Why not? Obviously they are allowed to compete with us??????? Most of the freight we've (Yellow) lost in Indy went to Fed-Ex as our contracts expired. I understand that; they don't have to front the benefits we get to the tune of about $1900 per man per month. But Holland and Roadway do, and they are GROWING, even in this economy. What's up?

By the way, we "company-convienienced" (let people go home with no penalty) again last night, as we have almost every day for the past month-- no frieght.....our dock looks like a skating rink!

I heard that Black Friday involved the Non-Union individuals and included 10% work force reduction at Overland Park (non-union). Not sure what the future is holding in terms of the Union side of these cuts but apparently there are more cuts coming and if that don't help then it will spill over to Union positions. Thats the word anyway but these layoffs/terminations are making the supervisors around here a little nervous.

Slack,

Sorry to disagree with you, but you've hit a major pet peeve of mine. In some cases, the guy with 30+ years of experience cannot be replaced by 2 new kids, but several times I've seen old timers that are coasting to retirement. I've also seen old timers that haven't learned a new thing or done a new thing in years - maybe decades.

If someone comes in, works hard, tries to do better than the day/year before, then that experience pays off. If someone comes in to coast, take it easy, talk it up in the office with old friends, then I say send them packing.

We cannot afford dead weight at YRCW - at any level.

CorpOffice

PS You hit a nerve for me. Sorry if I over reacted.

We have a completely useless 60 + year old guy thats too broke to retire. He comes in and Bosses people around,weasles out of doing any hard work and milks the clockfor 3 hours of ot a day doing nothing and our TM allows it !! Its absoloutely disgusting and annoying. He'll deliver an area and leave all the home deliveries behind then the next day he'll pass them off on someone elses. I dont see how he gets away with it. If every terminal in America has one of these guys its no wonder we're in the shape we're in.

Seems funny that Yellow is doing business like they have been. Business is slow and I'm questioning why. There are good days and bad but it seems like there are more bad than good. It seems logical sense to me me that Yellow needs to branch off into other options say like transporting freight like UPS parcel packages or have the sales people hit the streets and drum up business and let them take the customers out to dinner or a golf game to keep the customer happy and in the business loop. I hate to say this but it seems the upper managment teams have lost touch with the customer base and its employees and the ideas of taking advantage of a bad slump and turning it to good. There are hundreds of customers waiting for the right shipping company and yet no one at Yellow seems to care. I find that thought questionable. Swift Transportation, as an example, is involved in LTL, car hauling, package, reefer and dry van delivery. Yellow needs to diversify and find other avenues to explore.

I think what Yellow, or YRCW as they want to be called, is moving towards, is being just a logistics company. They see how these other logistics companies make money for basically doing nothing, and want a piece of that. All they need then is just computers and phone workers in India. Then they will get non union carriers to haul the freight.

logical post

I think what Yellow, or YRCW as they want to be called, is moving towards, is being just a logistics company. They see how these other logistics companies make money for basically doing nothing, and want a piece of that. All they need then is just computers and phone workers in India. Then they will get non union carriers to haul the freight.
Logical post but a bit unrealistic, don't you think?

huh?

Seems funny that Yellow is doing business like they have been. Business is slow and I'm questioning why. There are good days and bad but it seems like there are more bad than good. It seems logical sense to me me that Yellow needs to branch off into other options say like transporting freight like UPS parcel packages or have the sales people hit the streets and drum up business and let them take the customers out to dinner or a golf game to keep the customer happy and in the business loop. I hate to say this but it seems the upper managment teams have lost touch with the customer base and its employees and the ideas of taking advantage of a bad slump and turning it to good. There are hundreds of customers waiting for the right shipping company and yet no one at Yellow seems to care. I find that thought questionable. Swift Transportation, as an example, is involved in LTL, car hauling, package, reefer and dry van delivery. Yellow needs to diversify and find other avenues to explore.
Have they asked for your opine?

wassuupp

We have a completely useless 60 + year old guy thats too broke to retire. He comes in and Bosses people around,weasles out of doing any hard work and milks the clockfor 3 hours of ot a day doing nothing and our TM allows it !! Its absoloutely disgusting and annoying. He'll deliver an area and leave all the home deliveries behind then the next day he'll pass them off on someone elses. I dont see how he gets away with it. If every terminal in America has one of these guys its no wonder we're in the shape we're in.
Take that boys job...don't cry about it. Oh I forgot, you have to ask union guy. I'm union guy...get it done!

Have they asked for your opine?

No, but I've been in managment before with other freight companies and this is a trend that I'm questioning. I've got 15 years to go to retire and I'd like to get to that retirement date...like anyone else...and I would actually like to see YRCW surpass the freight field in service and excellence. When I see that Yellow has lost contracts with customers due to damaged or stolen freight and damaged interiors on trailers that customers see and they question 'will thier freight be secure?' it's just questions that look simple to fix on my end. Anyway we are along for the ride and no ones going to listen anyway. The bean counters rule the business world and we are just numbers to them...expendable numbers.

h ey jimmy g I was called back two weeks ago they told me we picked up a big account. i was just wandering if u know anything about that. i have yet to work since laborday. Just wandering why they would wait to call us back this late if their is not enough freight

Don't know. We still have 35 laid off in the city, and numbers are dropping like a rock. None of the 10%ers have worked at all this week, other than one guy who drove (He's the only one qualified) and one laid off guy (qualified).....

More layoffs to come I'm afraid... I keep hearing of a new huge account, but haven't seen any of it yet.

No, but I've been in managment before with other freight companies and this is a trend that I'm questioning. I've got 15 years to go to retire and I'd like to get to that retirement date...like anyone else...and I would actually like to see YRCW surpass the freight field in service and excellence. When I see that Yellow has lost contracts with customers due to damaged or stolen freight and damaged interiors on trailers that customers see and they question 'will thier freight be secure?' it's just questions that look simple to fix on my end. Anyway we are along for the ride and no ones going to listen anyway. The bean counters rule the business world and we are just numbers to them...expendable numbers.

I agree, as a subsidary of YRCW, we hate to put freight on the Yellow trucks cause it never fails that they have the highest damage rate then other carriers. Our clients shipments have gone down due to the economy,and they can not afford to have the damage issues that we face with Yellow.

When is the next round of management layoffs. I have two names I'd like to add. I just was forced to work over 4 hours and at 1000 am this morning they let 2 guys go home cc that had only worked 4 hours. I think we have the cream of the crop at COL. ( management that is ) We are an EOL that has about 1 management personnel for every 3 employees.

Like DET, COL is now an end of line.
If you (we) investigate things, all the top Clinton officials own stock and some sit on the board of the Bank of China. I'm sure the Bush team has their positions in the middle east. Between the two us Americans are getting skrewed. If you watch NAFTA and the NAU and the I-69 corridor/North American Super Highway projects you'll see our demise coming. I would suppose UPS is in the best position, local delivery.

Yet all I hear from Teamsters is vote Democrat. Did I mention Clinton friends promoting China? If we (USA) aren't manufacturing, we aren't buying. We've got to wake up to who we are electing and what their staff's affiliations are. But I get laughed at at my barn. What congressmen have staff that also work for JP Morgan? These "family" ties are getting rich and us workers are getting skrewed.
I stopped believing the lie during Regan and after Clinton. Our government "servants" are millionaires stealing $400+ a week from us. And we blindly/faithfully let them do it.
Loose your job, loose your liberty. Loose your liberty, loose your life.
YRC isn't the bad guy. Republican and Democrat shysters are the bad guys.

Keep the customer happy and secure their freight.
In the meantime:
wmw.campaignforliberty.com

When is the next round of management layoffs. I have two names I'd like to add. I just was forced to work over 4 hours and at 1000 am this morning they let 2 guys go home cc that had only worked 4 hours. I think we have the cream of the crop at COL. ( management that is ) We are an EOL that has about 1 management personnel for every 3 employees.

i'm sure one of the names is derick, whom is the other?

the ones that are getting laid off are those who have a lot of years. sometimes being replace by young blood with little to no experience because the will get pay a lot less