XPO | cameras and disipline?

Our cameras go in October 21st, not really thrilled about it, but what do you do besides find a different employer? Cameras and EOBR's will find theur place in all trucks before too long, and these new young drivers starting out won't see a problem with it, as it'll be all they know. They've never ran down the highway in an ungoverned truck, that hasn't had it's nuts cut off, no monitoring, or tracking devices, etc.

As for the Sterlings, and 7 speeds deal...I usually shift 1-3 short anyways, 4-7 I wind to 1700-1800 if I'm heavy...only way to make those long legged bastards move. I'll keep on doing it my way, and it can chirp, ding, ping, bark, whatever the hell it does, all night long to and from the FAC. I am the professional driver, not somebody in a suit in an office claiming the trucks pull better, and get better mpg when you lug the hell out of thwm. I've experimented with it, and wound up dropping a gear and standing on it..you'll creep to 62..eventually, with 43k in the boxes, in 7th gear at 1k rpm, like they want.

And Freightshaker, all the Nancy's who are happy with their surging idle, in the shop constantly for this and that sensor acting up, dpf and def equipped with plastic wheel covers flapping in the breeze Cascadias can keep them. I can live with 3 less gears, and manual windows, and keep my reliable truck that actually pulls. All of the freight my sic sends out, and hauls back is heavy, with low cube...and up and down the i35 corridor, I've never been outpulled by another truck, especially a cascadia...but I sure have passed a lot of them.

Yea I bet you aint never passed any of are freighliners with your 60 to 62 mph crap so get it right and get getting treated low the third class citizen you are

I'm the third class citizen, yet I'm obviously the one who understands and uses proper grammar/punctuation, sentence building..you know...stuff they taught in school at one time.

There is no problems with how my truck runs, believe that. If it ran 60mph, I would have it in the shop being fixed, and yes, we do have the ability to do that.

Our cameras go in October 21st, not really thrilled about it, but what do you do besides find a different employer? Cameras and EOBR's will find theur place in all trucks before too long, and these new young drivers starting out won't see a problem with it, as it'll be all they know. They've never ran down the highway in an ungoverned truck, that hasn't had it's nuts cut off, no monitoring, or tracking devices, etc.

As for the Sterlings, and 7 speeds deal...I usually shift 1-3 short anyways, 4-7 I wind to 1700-1800 if I'm heavy...only way to make those long legged bastards move. I'll keep on doing it my way, and it can chirp, ding, ping, bark, whatever the hell it does, all night long to and from the FAC. I am the professional driver, not somebody in a suit in an office claiming the trucks pull better, and get better mpg when you lug the hell out of thwm.

They were telling us that there about to crack down on drivers revving engine over 1500 RPM.... I'm like 1500? 1500 In a city truck loaded going up a big hill? Bog down on ya.

[

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard numbers of $50mil first year, $10mil each year after...

We have these in our fleet (had them for 2 years now-they suck)..For thousands of trucks (Linde Group) start up is about 2 million nationwide, annual costs about 750K. Insurance discount averages 20%, so they kind of pay for themselves. Each video (whether a "bump" video or triggered by an event like hard braking) averages, we were told, about $2.75. Oh and by the way, we started out being "coached"..Then the write ups followed shortly thereafter, then the suspensions and terminations started. And we're an IBT shop. You all should realize that EVERY member of management gets daily emails after midnight from DriveCam. And just like our clueless management at Linde, they have nothing better to do but watch videos and harass people. All done by people that think they know YOUR job better than you do, as they get in their KIA and drive home after a tough 7 and a half hour day in an office. I'm sure some of you have seen our slow ass cryogenic tankers holding up traffic and wonder why we are going so slow. Well, between the PeopleNet and the damn camera in your face, we're "just playing the game".. It starts out all "nicey nice-it's just COACHING"..Then, the real crap starts. And unfortunately for you, it will.

I lug my assigned truck. I set the cruise for 57. Takes me an extra 20 minutes each way. They want slow, I will give them slow. I have a very long line behind me so I can be safer

Yea I bet you aint never passed any of are freighliners with your 60 to 62 mph crap so get it right and get getting treated low the third class citizen you are

how about you respect the rules and our forum. If I were to bet, you sound like a typical "U" driver. Im sure we dont come to your boards to start trouble.

I lug my assigned truck. I set the cruise for 57. Takes me an extra 20 minutes each way. They want slow, I will give them slow. I have a very long line behind me so I can be safer
So not only are you doing what they are telling you to do, but also giving them your free time. 20 min ea way which is 40 minutes you could be getting paid on dock. Your actually helping them out by saving cost idiot.
I love xcw, it makes me happy.
I Don't Work For Free
Jim Novak (xme)

Well if he is a City driver which I would not know he is actually costing them more money which many of us City drivers are doing !

So not only are you doing what they are telling you to do, but also giving them your free time. 20 min ea way which is 40 minutes you could be getting paid on dock. Your actually helping them out by saving cost idiot.
I love xcw, it makes me happy.
I Don't Work For Free
Jim Novak (xme)

That way you can put the pedal to the metal and excel all the way up to max speed (62MPH) if needed (but be careful). If your already buzzing down the interstate at the full 62MPH the only thing you can do is slow down...

Don't you feel safer having a little pedal left this way you can slow down or speed up if needed.

I just wonder how long it will take for someone to get in trouble for doing or saying something while the cameras are " not recording".

As far as feeling safer doing 57, and having room to accelrate if need be. You have to be an idiot to feel safer going 20 mph UNDER the speed limit...hell, 13 mph under the posted speed limit, where people are doing 75, or 80mph is dangerous. Some think slower is safer..but prior to coming here, my whole trucking career has been spent in trucks that do not have any governing device...be it speed, or rpm. And I have not ever had an accident, and I have hauled more loads that are less stable than pulling a set of pups, and never felt it was dangerous. Hell, just because a truck can do 100, doesn't mean guys are going to do 100. I usually stayed around 70-75. At 62mph, I can still work my way through traffic, and pass people..knpwing how to drive, observe traffic patterns and speed, and knowing when to pass can get you around people quickly. Instead of hogging the left lane trying to pass a 61mph truck, watch how you gain on him on hills..catch up to him quickly and find yourself on the brakes? Next time the left lane is clear and you are approaching a hill, use your momentum to get you in the left lane and up beside him, and pass him while the hill slows you down. If you do it right, it won't take any more time than a fedex truck passing a conway truck.

Also, not having any reserve speed can get you in a bind with other traffic pulling a bonehead move behind you, or blowing a steer tire. Not being able to mash on the throttle to lighten the pull after it blows.

I think we should take the approach western distribution took with their rewards program. If a guy doesn't idle, and drives efficiently, not mashing the gas through every gear etc...slowly give him a mph or two extra to run. A guy could end up running 65-67 mph at the end of a 250 mile run, by keeping the left door closed and being easy on the throttle. Start mashing on the gas and driving like a freight hauler, and you are cut to say...60mph
no need to punish guys who know what the hell we are doing.

Well you sold me lol but you will never Sell Corporate Cows any of it ! these Guys only see these trucks pass them on the interstate they have never actually been in one rode in one let alone know what it takes to drive them 50 miles or 1000 miles ! These Clowns only know what there College Professor told them how to Crunch the numbers make them numbers grow !!

and that they aim to do Kaizan coming soon to the Con~way near you ! more Number Crunching more Money For them Sorry not for us :( they want more from us for less Pretty much what it all adds up too !!

I just wonder how long it will take for someone to get in trouble for doing or saying something while the cameras are " not recording".

As far as feeling safer doing 57, and having room to accelrate if need be. You have to be an idiot to feel safer going 20 mph UNDER the speed limit...hell, 13 mph under the posted speed limit, where people are doing 75, or 80mph is dangerous. Some think slower is safer..but prior to coming here, my whole trucking career has been spent in trucks that do not have any governing device...be it speed, or rpm. And I have not ever had an accident, and I have hauled more loads that are less stable than pulling a set of pups, and never felt it was dangerous. Hell, just because a truck can do 100, doesn't mean guys are going to do 100. I usually stayed around 70-75. At 62mph, I can still work my way through traffic, and pass people..knpwing how to drive, observe traffic patterns and speed, and knowing when to pass can get you around people quickly. Instead of hogging the left lane trying to pass a 61mph truck, watch how you gain on him on hills..catch up to him quickly and find yourself on the brakes? Next time the left lane is clear and you are approaching a hill, use your momentum to get you in the left lane and up beside him, and pass him while the hill slows you down. If you do it right, it won't take any more time than a fedex truck passing a conway truck.

Also, not having any reserve speed can get you in a bind with other traffic pulling a bonehead move behind you, or blowing a steer tire. Not being able to mash on the throttle to lighten the pull after it blows.

I think we should take the approach western distribution took with their rewards program. If a guy doesn't idle, and drives efficiently, not mashing the gas through every gear etc...slowly give him a mph or two extra to run. A guy could end up running 65-67 mph at the end of a 250 mile run, by keeping the left door closed and being easy on the throttle. Start mashing on the gas and driving like a freight hauler, and you are cut to say...60mph
no need to punish guys who know what the hell we are doing.

con-way believes in the dictatorial model. Reward the drivers like J adkins mentioned and ive read other companies doing and they would have saved more than these stupid eobrs cost..Its only human nature to do things benefit them in some way. Why should a driver care about mpgs when he doesnt have to pay for the fuel. Now if you give him some incentive, say a quarterly bonus for being gentle on the pedal, I am sure it would reap dividends, but the human factor is not included in the equations these guys use..

I agree with you Incentive program s Reward the Drivers But Again they Do not want to reward us they just want the Reward and don't want to share it no kind of way !!

I think in the end it will bite them in the A$$ but that's just my opinion when you exclude the work force from the rewards of there efforts you typically loose ! we will have to see how this one plays out ????

con-way believes in the dictatorial model. Reward the drivers like J adkins mentioned and ive read other companies doing and they would have saved more than these stupid eobrs cost..Its only human nature to do things benefit them in some way. Why should a driver care about mpgs when he doesnt have to pay for the fuel. Now if you give him some incentive, say a quarterly bonus for being gentle on the pedal, I am sure it would reap dividends, but the human factor is not included in the equations these guys use..