Yellow | CDL hiring process if broken

Liberty138

TB Veteran
Credits
I mean my goodness, getting a driver job these days takes weeks. "We need a ten year history, references, resume, background check", yada yada yada...
I will give Yellow credit. When I hired on, the process took only a few days. Then set a date for orientation, and off to work. It was fast.
I heard OD takes a month =( Just the process is WAY too long. This hurts employers. I have multiple skills. Im a certified welder, electrician, with a CDL. When I finally was ready to look for work, some folks get it, and some dont. A resume? Who still does that? The job I took was a phone interview that lasted 3 minutes. She offered me way more than I asked, or was was offered. A docu sign application that took 5 minutes. Super fast, 15 minutes, hired as an industrial electrician.
But trucking, oh my gosh, wait a month? Oh definitely not. I understand the hoops, but tell me I am hired right now, immediately, because 15 businesses are calling me.
Good example, look at how The Texas oil fields hire. Facebook post, be here tomorrow, hired and done, let's go.
Nobody has time to wait a month... My gosh...

It's ridiculous. I used to get trucking jobs by filling out a one page application in person. They'd road test me around the block. And ask if I wanted to start tonight or tomorrow. Or they had a run now, if I wanted it.

Not now in the super fast supersmart internet world with all records one click and 2 seconds away.

We're so smart..... we're stupid. is my phrase for today's brains.

It's ridiculous. I used to get trucking jobs by filling out a one page application in person. They'd road test me around the block. And ask if I wanted to start tonight or tomorrow. Or they had a run now, if I wanted it.

Not now in the super fast supersmart internet world with all records one click and 2 seconds away.

Problem is the government got involved.
The process is not as complex for non CDL dockworkers.

Ya, like run my CDL, make sure its legal, without a bad record, and lets go to work. The 10 year history part is crazy. On my 10 record, 2 companies are out of business. Then they want to call these other employers to stop what they are doing, and verify I worked there 10 years ago. This is a federal requirement. Its a waste of time. Ill bet JB has a person and thats all they do is verify people worked there 10 years ago. That costs the company money. What a pain for a mega carrier.

Problem is the government got involved.
The process is not as complex for non CDL dockworkers.
I understand that driving a truck is a huge responsibility. But we have the 10 year employment record, DAC report, background check, driving record, road test, and on an on. There needs to be 1 place employers run a quick check, and done, schedule orientation. The process now is so slow. Like I mentioned, Old Dominion takes a month to sign on. As a driver, the amount of information required is crazy. I have to write a novel for each employer. It needs to be streamlined. Since the government has all these concerns, they should be keeping track. Our Social Security profile shows our history, BMV has our record. They should combine everything into 1 place for employers to check, and be done quick. Otherwise the employer will miss a hire, because someone else did it faster. Hiring in this market is super fast. The days of having an employee wait for weeks is over.

I wonder if the process is the same with all these people who come here from Poland, Russia, the middle east and the Carribbean nations? Just thinking
It is the same for everyone in America. Employers have to check several places to see if a driver qualifies.
The government should create a data base, based on 3 levels. Green, Yellow, and Red.
Green light means a driver is good to hire. Yellow means they have maybe 1 issue in their past, and a driver should work on getting that to green. And Red means major "no", maybe due to accidents, or something major, whatever.
But an employer has a significant expense just hiring. And for the next 10 years as drivers job hop, past employers have to answer and verify a record, of someone who left 10 years ago. It's exhausting. Im sure its a huge expense for mega carriers.

I wonder if the process is the same with all these people who come here from Poland, Russia, the middle east and the Carribbean nations? Just thinking
I'm kind of thinking it's all done for them by a hiring service or government entity. Given their limited ability to speak English, understand road signs, follow directions etc. Given that there aren't many who drive for established carriers, the alphabet soup carriers (XYZ transport DBA ZXT transport LLC) possibly have all testing, background checks' done by an outside service. Us on the other hand, definitely need to verify what we've been doing for the last 10 years. and it better match because they'll check. Can't be too careful you know.

It is the same for everyone in America. Employers have to check several places to see if a driver qualifies.
The government should create a data base, based on 3 levels. Green, Yellow, and Red.
Green light means a driver is good to hire. Yellow means they have maybe 1 issue in their past, and a driver should work on getting that to green. And Red means major "no", maybe due to accidents, or something major, whatever.
But an employer has a significant expense just hiring. And for the next 10 years as drivers job hop, past employers have to answer and verify a record, of someone who left 10 years ago. It's exhausting. Im sure its a huge expense for mega carriers.
Accidents' attendance, substance abuse would be yellow. Union membership would be the only red flag

I mean my goodness, getting a driver job these days takes weeks. "We need a ten year history, references, resume, background check", yada yada yada...
I will give Yellow credit. When I hired on, the process took only a few days. Then set a date for orientation, and off to work. It was fast.
I heard OD takes a month =( Just the process is WAY too long. This hurts employers. I have multiple skills. Im a certified welder, electrician, with a CDL. When I finally was ready to look for work, some folks get it, and some dont. A resume? Who still does that? The job I took was a phone interview that lasted 3 minutes. She offered me way more than I asked, or was was offered. A docu sign application that took 5 minutes. Super fast, 15 minutes, hired as an industrial electrician.
But trucking, oh my gosh, wait a month? Oh definitely not. I understand the hoops, but tell me I am hired right now, immediately, because 15 businesses are calling me.
Good example, look at how The Texas oil fields hire. Facebook post, be here tomorrow, hired and done, let's go.

Not anything like that for a dock only job that pays the same hourly rate, go figure.

The Texas oil field can be gone as fast as you were hired.
Long waiting times ( FREE)in most cases.

Also fill out a application gotta fill out the same information on like 3 different forms. Had 1 like the fourth form was basically same exact thing in the first... I'm like wtf I just gave you this information. All the big non union LTL carriers are not getting back to me. About to start filling out more and more apps till I either run out of jobs or like 10 companies try to hire me at once.
Also with this economy most of all these companies only looking for 1 spot to fill so when they get flooded with apps they are probably being extremely picky to cherry pick who they want. It's not like before and grab the first person with a pulse to toss behind the wheel.

I understand that driving a truck is a huge responsibility. But we have the 10 year employment record, DAC report, background check, driving record, road test, and on an on. There needs to be 1 place employers run a quick check, and done, schedule orientation. The process now is so slow. Like I mentioned, Old Dominion takes a month to sign on. As a driver, the amount of information required is crazy. I have to write a novel for each employer. It needs to be streamlined. Since the government has all these concerns, they should be keeping track. Our Social Security profile shows our history, BMV has our record. They should combine everything into 1 place for employers to check, and be done quick. Otherwise the employer will miss a hire, because someone else did it faster. Hiring in this market is super fast. The days of having an employee wait for weeks is over.
Just like background checks, these agencies do not speak with each other.
The teamsters union has spent scores of millions of $$$$ building up this government and electing people who push for this
They are the problem here...

Yesterday I was trying to prove employment from 1988 for a background check. No other job would have even asked for it. Ridiculous and yes I still had W2 from then.