Yellow | Chains .....

A Very Very true statement! But also remember that some of drivers who have to drive over the "Little Mountains" Here in the east also know when to get the hell off the road! No Ego invollved here folks! Just common sence!

What's the old saying, "There are old drivers and there are bold drivers, but there are no old, bold drivers!".

Chicago 309

Not to mention how little people know about the 2 hour adverse weather conditions rule.

I gotta do what?????
im_shocked.jpg

If u got to put chains on to drive then u need to find a hotel 10-4.

I have been across most of the ones west of Interstate 25. I just didn't think there was any mountain passes east of the Mississippi.

If as you say you've been over most passes in the west. Then why would you even suggest going to bed because the chain law is in effect? Chaining is not an unnecessary risk but an operational necessity, at appropriate times.

I have driven western NY and parts of Ontario CA for many years,I have never put chains on.and to this day I wouldn't even know how but I guess it wouldn't be hard to figure out..Where I work now we have chains in the trucks but still have not had to put them on..Hoping this is my last winter ,maybe I will be able to say "A chain free career"..

1. I had better equipment than this junk we drive.
2. I always gave myself enough time for bad weather in the winter time. So when the chain law was out I would crawl back in the bunk and go to bed. Or chain up and go on.
3.I have not been anywhere east of the Mississippi. River that requires u to carry chains or to chain up.
4. U or anybody else is not in charge of My Equipment while I am driving it. I AM THE ONE RESPONSIBLE SO ITS MY CHOICE.

why risk an acciedent for a load of freight and be off work while they investigate....get it off the road if you need chains....(spoken like a true southerner!)........KK.....

On the surface that sounds like a good reasonable thought and where I live it's OK, to go that route. But I believe that there are sections of our country where you'd be in the motel for six months before you could roll again.

As I pass thru Wyoming once each way each week, I see the 'no light loads- 50 mph winds' sign flashing from September thru the end of May. If I shut down, even The Dead would complain. (I haul caskets) Utah got 24" of snow last weekend(before drifting) - I hate Winter!

I have been across most of the ones west of Interstate 25. I just didn't think there was any mountain passes east of the Mississippi.

Not exactly mountain "passes." Just challenging "hills."

Let's try US 60, Charleston WV to Lexington VA, back before I-64 was.

Didn't take a whole lotta snow to make that trek one to remember....

Chains were a blessing, not even close to a nuisance.

And for you "Westerners," US 20 across Oregon and the cutest "three sisters" you ever seen!

1. I had better equipment than this junk we drive.
2. I always gave myself enough time for bad weather in the winter time. So when the chain law was out I would crawl back in the bunk and go to bed. Or chain up and go on.
3.I have not been anywhere east of the Mississippi. River that requires u to carry chains or to chain up.
4. U or anybody else is not in charge of My Equipment while I am driving it. I AM THE ONE RESPONSIBLE SO ITS MY CHOICE.

I ran empty from Rhode Island to Scranton, Pa one day, and then they closed the interstate. Trucks sitting on the ramp without chains were stuck. While they spun, I got out and chained one wheel- drove right up the ramp and found a spot in the small truckstop that others couldn't get to. Sometimes they simply are the smarter option.

If I leave Salt Lake east-bound on 80, and just as I aprroach Parley's Summit the chain light comes on- I have no choice. No exit, no rest area; Try to sit in the chain-up area, you get a ticket (500-1,000 fine for not having them). Spin on the summit without them- a bgger fine and tow cost. So you put them on, go 10 miles up the mountain, 4 miles down the other side, then take them off and go for quite a while with none. I hate them, but they become my friend as opposed to the alternative....

One suggestion: find out if your chains are singles or doubles. Most states only require the outside drive tires on each drive axle be chained. If yours are single- carry a 18" long 4"x4" board with your stuff. Drive the inside tire on the board, and you have the outside tire off the ground- a LOT easier to chain!

One suggestion: find out if your chains are singles or doubles. Most states only require the outside drive tires on each drive axle be chained. If yours are single- carry a 18" long 4"x4" board with your stuff. Drive the inside tire on the board, and you have the outside tire off the ground- a LOT easier to chain!

Smart man with experience, I've had that demonstration in the yard half didn't listen, 1/4 waited until the truck was stuck and then could not get to drive up on the block...............

There is roughly about 5 States require u to carry chains by law and I don't drive in those States. So why bother with them if their not required.