Yellow | Change of Operations 2014

Fed-Ex fulltime dock and yard make 24.95 per hr. We only make 21.30.. we aren't even making what a nonunion company makes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

But our insurance blows Fred Ex's out of the water..........its not all about per hour take home pay.

The keeping of senior drivers isn't the problem it's finding and keeping new one's.
When I was hired in 2006 the driver turn over was less than 2% ! Unheard of in this industry. The reason being great work rules,wages,benifits, and, of course, the pension.

So drivers are quitting so they can take advantage of the great work rules, benefits, and pensions at non-union companies? Here's a news flash: non-union companies do not have work rules, benefits, or pensions. (There may be some so called work rules, enforced at the whim of management. And there may be some minimal benefits. But pension? Come on.)

Fast forward to today minimal contributions to the pension, so, senior men can't retire even though they want to, and, either they fear they won't find another job at their age, or, just don't want to have to go out and look, so, it's just easier to sit tight.

Yes, you are right. It is the pretty good job to just sit tight in.

The pension was in trouble in 2006 and it is still in trouble. It's not like anyone's leaving to go to non-union companies for the great pensions they have there. Most drivers in their 20s are not even thinking about a pension. Or know what one is.

They seem to have painted themselves into a corner with all of these concessions, in that, they can not recruit new drivers, because of, the sub standard wages and no pension.

But, to say they are not having a problem with retention is an obfuscating statement.

I'm not going to argue this here and obfuscate a thread about a change of operations. All companies have problems getting qualified applicants and getting them on board. I was the only one in my "class" that stayed, and that was a well before 2006.

None want to have to start on the bottom of list somewhere else then there are the younger hungry guys they mostly have left,

You seem to miss the point. There is no list somewhere else to start out at the bottom of. Non-union drivers do not have seniority rights. Management may or may no honor their driver's seniority. It is management's choice. And there is no grievance process.

But our insurance blows Fred Ex's out of the water..........its not all about per hour take home pay.

This is interesting: High Turnover of US Truck Drivers

The turnover rate for truck drivers varies greatly due to the various types of trucking.
An annual turnover rate is difficult to calculate. Industry sources say that the turnover rate for long–haul truck drivers is roughly 80 percent; several companies have put the rate at between 90 and 100 percent. The figure is around 30 percent for short–haul truck drivers.

and

A final reason for high turnover is poor communication and little genuine concern for the jobs these drivers perform. Insensitive dispatchers and an initial misunderstanding of pay and benefits head the list. In America, money talks, and if truck drivers feel they are not paid well, they often walk. With truck drivers changing jobs so frequently, most lose wages, medical coverage, 401(k) benefits and vacation time. Consequently, many decide to leave the trucking industry to obtain these benefits.

100% turnover, that is 0% retention. And some are saying YRC is having problems keeping drivers. Compared to what? I don't understand.

I think this quote sums it up: "misunderstanding of pay and benefits."

Guys, stop believing what you read on the back doors of trucks.

You seem to miss the point. There is no list somewhere else to start out at the bottom of. Non-union drivers do not have seniority rights. Management may or may no honor their driver's seniority. It is management's choice. And there is no grievance process.
So keep giving back, but at least your union....

I was thinking ABF but, believe it or not there are a few union trucking companies around they may not be NMFA or frieght but they're union and have a seniority list, besides when your under the truck looking up unless it's a garbage truck it makes little difference what you all load in it :LMAO:

So drivers are quitting so they can take advantage of the great work rules, benefits, and pensions at non-union companies? Here's a news flash: non-union companies do not have work rules, benefits, or pensions. (There may be some so called work rules, enforced at the whim of management. And there may be some minimal benefits. But pension? Come on.)

Yes, you are right. It is the pretty good job to just sit tight in.

The pension was in trouble in 2006 and it is still in trouble. It's not like anyone's leaving to go to non-union companies for the great pensions they have there. Most drivers in their 20s are not even thinking about a pension. Or know what one is.

I'm not going to argue this here and obfuscate a thread about a change of operations. All companies have problems getting qualified applicants and getting them on board. I was the only one in my "class" that stayed, and that was a well before 2006.

What I said was... "The keeping of senior drivers isn't the problem it's finding and keeping new one's."

You couldn't be more wrong.
I've been at ABF from YRC for 30 days now & have 6 guys under me already & much more are being hired. Same insurance (even keep same insurance card) go back to same pension rate before YRC defaulted. ABF is hiring system wide. Don't take anyone's word on here - check it out for your self.

You couldn't be more wrong.
I've been at ABF from YRC for 30 days now & have 6 guys under me already & much more are being hired. Same insurance (even keep same insurance card) go back to same pension rate before YRC defaulted. ABF is hiring system wide. Don't take anyone's word on here - check it out for your self.

They would rather stay and votes yes again soon to give more away and yelp they saved the company. Weird isn't it?

They would rather stay and votes yes again soon to give more away and yelp they saved the company. Weird isn't it?

Or conversely, YOU could vote no with your feet. Just like Series 60 did. But then you wouldn't have a reason to cry about YRCF.