Yellow | Chicago ridge reopening!

when is the move in date? jan,feb,mar,apr,may,jun,jul,aug,sep,oct,nov,dec what year? Gantch makes a statement with no answers to any Questions. Great leadership. anyways lets get this chicago ridge party started.

Sat in on a preshift this week run by Rich G. They can give no time lines or plans for other Chicago area terminals until Chicago Ridge first issues them a business license. He said they met with mayor and other city officials and they really do not want YRC back in there. Rich stated that for what they receive in property tax, the city would prefer retail business and sorts so they would receive much more revenue. Said a real estate firm has had the property up for sale for 4 yrs. for and asking price of 18 million. No offers have been received. He also stated they have had contractors look at the property to get an estimate of how much it will take to get the place up and running, and that amount was around a 1 million. He was asked point blank as to why the place was closed in the first place, and responded that at the time we were literally a day away from closing and needed to cut costs and try and sell the properties that they thought would sell fastest. The crash in the economy did not help. He went on to say the city has 30 - 60 days to respond to their permit request(permit costs 2500.00) to reopen. If they do not respond to them, or deny it they can reapply, or take legal action, which is the big reason they will not speculate on which terminals will be where. As he put it, too many people will run spreading rumor. (Cannot believe that) He also said maybe this attempt to reopen 301 may spur some help from the the city to motivate a buyer, and if that would happen they would then spend $$ at 309 to improve some of the issues there, i.e., lighting on the dock, and yard, the buildings and such. He was firm about not giving time lines about anything since reopening 301, or staying at 309 all have different plans on the drawing boards with which terminals will be where. Said we at this time have 296 operating terminals. and that number will continue to be tweeked.

Excuse me Flywheel, but Roadway owned all of their tractors prior to the buyout/merge,, it wasnt until the Yellow purchase that the Big R started leasing tractors.. If Im not mistaken there for a while the Big R was buying 450 new tractors every year, how do I know this you ask,, per the company who made our dollies, I personally picked up all of the parts on a daily basis from Kwik Loc and knew the management in this company.. He did also verify that after the purchase that Roadway was indeed leasing tractors from this point on, and that his business levels would decline due to the LEASE of more twinscrews.. Thank god Rudy found Fed-ex, otherwise hed be out of business.. Still doesnt change the fact that a MAJORITY of the tractors are junk and wore out,, its pretty bad when a unit is considered new that has 700,000 miles on it.. Keep livin the dream that says its status quo to have a fleet of tractors with 800,000 miles plus on them. But thats right your supposedly going back to the Ridge..

Excuse me i do know that most of the high mileage tractors have overhauled engines.Once they overhaul these high mileage tractors.They don't reset the mileage to zero.All of these overhauled engines and in some cases new engines.Company decided to keep the Volvo engines.Because the Volvo engines have better warranties than the detroits.Detroit engines have a 500k mileage warranty compared to 1million with Volvo.Recycling these Volvo engines and staying with Volvo.Enables the company to keep the costs under control and to streamline the parts source.Plus Volvo's parts warehouses are strategically located throughout the country and most of the warehouses are Union.Going to either manufacturers dealerships are cost prohibited.Even if you see a dealership down the road from your terminal.Those dealerships are privately owned.Therefore parts from these facilities are marked up over 100%

Excuse me i do know that most of the high mileage tractors have overhauled engines.Once they overhaul these high mileage tractors.They don't reset the mileage to zero.All of these overhauled engines and in some cases new engines.Company decided to keep the Volvo engines.Because the Volvo engines have better warranties than the detroits.Detroit engines have a 500k mileage warranty compared to 1million with Volvo.Recycling these Volvo engines and staying with Volvo.Enables the company to keep the costs under control and to streamline the parts source.Plus Volvo's parts warehouses are strategically located throughout the country and most of the warehouses are Union.Going to either manufacturers dealerships are cost prohibited.Even if you see a dealership down the road from your terminal.Those dealerships are privately owned.Therefore parts from these facilities are marked up over 100%
It's not the miles on the engines. The tractors themselves are WORE OUT! We're driving wore out 2003 to 2008 Volvos. And don't even get me started about those POS Sterlings. The old blue and orange Volvos are quieter and tighter than ANY other tractors in the fleet. And that's because they ALL had air ride cab suspension.

More lipstick on the pig..

Mr. Allbag, first of all chill out. Did you read Yellow who's comment. I asked for a more defined response of part of that comment & no more. There is NO MENTION AT ALL about YRC in his comment. But and only YELLOW Leasing & ALWAY'S DID. Your posting is irrevelant to the question. Back to your prior post of me failing to grasp your point and the above, I feel your pain,we all do. As I stated before, this was the first year with a new CEO & Board of Directors. If they choose to move this division forward we will get new equipment eventually. And when it does come for your sake, I hope they assign you a new tractor and equipped with a cell phone holder !!!!!!

BTW: Did you & Yellow who complain this much about the Roadway tractors,trailer's and the jiff-locks prior to the purchase? What year was the last time Galen or Sarah did some reinvesting in equipment ? I as well as you are in that same pool of going to work and punching the clock with no say. As Jesse J. say's "KEEP HOPE ALIVE".

Excuse me Flywheel, but Roadway owned all of their tractors prior to the buyout/merge,, it wasnt until the Yellow purchase that the Big R started leasing tractors.. If Im not mistaken there for a while the Big R was buying 450 new tractors every year, how do I know this you ask,, per the company who made our dollies, I personally picked up all of the parts on a daily basis from Kwik Loc and knew the management in this company.. He did also verify that after the purchase that Roadway was indeed leasing tractors from this point on, and that his business levels would decline due to the LEASE of more twinscrews.. Thank god Rudy found Fed-ex, otherwise hed be out of business.. Still doesnt change the fact that a MAJORITY of the tractors are junk and wore out,, its pretty bad when a unit is considered new that has 700,000 miles on it.. Keep livin the dream that says its status quo to have a fleet of tractors with 800,000 miles plus on them. But thats right your supposedly going back to the Ridge..

That is not entirely true. The first 200 new cab style 1999 Volvos were leased and turned in after 750k miles. The 2003-2004 Orange and Blue sleeper were all leased, along with all of the 2004 city Internationals. This was all pre merger. As far as the motor swap program goes, I don't really care how old the truck is as long as it's safe. Quite a few carriers do this, R&L, along with Jack Cooper and Allied Transports do it too. Repairs on trucks is an expence which is tax deductable vs new equipment purchases tax deductablity must be spread out over several years.
Also, in 1997 thru 1998, the trailer rebuild program took old 80's pups to Walbash where they cut the box off of the rear axle and fifth wheel plate, and installed new boxes. Sometimes they reused the back doors and repainted them. The box was leased, with the option to buy. Thats why all of todays 27 series and 28 series Roadway pups look so crappy. And don't forget all of the WNCR pups and long boxes Roadway pulled for years. They kept the long boxes so long, they had to purchased them.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not entirely true. The first 200 new cab style 1999 Volvos were leased and turned in after 750k miles. The 2003-2004 Orange and Blue sleeper were all leased, along with all of the 2004 city Internationals. This was all pre merger. As far as the motor swap program goes, I don't really care how old the truck is as long as it's safe. Quite a few carriers do this, R&L, along with Jack Cooper and Allied Transports do it too. Repairs on trucks is an expence which is tax deductable vs new equipment purchases tax deductablity must be spread out over several years.
Also, in 1997 thru 1998, the trailer rebuild program took old 80's pups to Walbash where they cut the box off of the rear axle and fifth wheel plate, and installed new boxes. Sometimes they reused the back doors and repainted them. They were all leased, with the option to buy. Thats why all of todays 27 series and 28 series Roadway pups look so crappy. And don't forget all of the WNCR pups and long boxes Roadway pulled for years. They kept the long boxes so long, they had to purchased them.
Then we must have one hell of a deduction.

YELLOW WHO---And may I add, and correct: few newer Internationals, they would of been 54000 number series, and about 50 or 60 of the 51000 series were leased and did go to that dealer. (Something like Truck Countrry) 81 - 2004 Volvo single axles went to Holland on 8/23/10. Other than that Yellow solely owned the rest of their tractor's. Now, I did notice you recently posted something about Roadway Equip. Post#42 of this thread but you have not even answered the question of your previous post. Do you read what you are writing ? I will get to that,and reply after doing some research.

I wonder how much merit your above post really has? As far as Rudy and Kwik-Loc. and Hilo 342 post I did find out that in the fleet there are apprx. 200 Kwik-loc left, the age of them are from 1985-89,and 1 that is a 1990 from what I have been told. There were also some made from Todco again dating back from 1985 to 88 apprx. in fleet 30. The 824 number series is a 2002.I have been told
We do not have histories, for anything not in current use. Seems the computer program is as old as the equipment (GO FIGURE). However when I return back to work early next week he does have some info. More in detail as unit #'s and how many are left in the system he will give me and if it matters to you that much I will post it for you. Leased or not makes no difference, I heard ABF leases their power and if true, it's working for them they make money. Oh I just seen Big R's post it say's Mr. G said 1 mill to fix. That's All ?? What the heck you & the airbag so mad about then. Sounds to me both of you must come from Indiana then.

Also, in 1997 thru 1998, the trailer rebuild program took old 80's pups to Walbash where they cut the box off of the rear axle and fifth wheel plate, and installed new boxes. Sometimes they reused the back doors and repainted them. The box was leased, with the option to buy. Thats why all of todays 27 series and 28 series Roadway pups look so crappy. And don't forget all of the WNCR pups and long boxes Roadway pulled for years. They kept the long boxes so long, they had to purchased them.
When was buyout hilo?? If Im not mistaken I believe it was in 2002, if Im correct that means we were under the YFS umbrella and how the Great Zollars did things. As far as complaining about equipment flywheel, just trying to clear up some of your statements, Sarah and Glen were still buying tractors in the quantity that Mr. H at Kwik-Loc had told me, and trust me those converter kits, slide rails, counter weights and frames could fill a trailer.. The problem here flywheel is rather than reinvesting money in the company they always decide to make moves, none of these changes have been highly successful, maybe the last one was a step in the right direction, time will tell.. But I will say Holland is getting newer white Freightshakers, guess they feel the need to replace some of their worn out equipment.

When was buyout hilo?? If Im not mistaken I believe it was in 2002, if Im correct that means we were under the YFS umbrella and how the Great Zollars did things. As far as complaining about equipment flywheel, just trying to clear up some of your statements, Sarah and Glen were still buying tractors in the quantity that Mr. H at Kwik-Loc had told me, and trust me those converter kits, slide rails, counter weights and frames could fill a trailer.. The problem here flywheel is rather than reinvesting money in the company they always decide to make moves, none of these changes have been highly successful, maybe the last one was a step in the right direction, time will tell.. But I will say Holland is getting newer white Freightshakers, guess they feel the need to replace some of their worn out equipment.

Comments by executives of the new entity indicate that shippers should see no immediate changes in their business dealings with Yellow-Roadway -- it is their intention to keep both brands in the marketplace. Initially the strategy is to cut back office expenses, not to close terminals and lay off drivers. The anticipation is that these early moves will result in savings in the neighborhood of $45 million.

Bill Zollars, current President and CEO of Yellow, will be Chairman, President and CEO of Yellow-Roadway. “This strategic combination brings the strengths of Yellow and Roadway together to capture significant synergies and growth opportunities,” said Zollars. “While there will be no change in the customer interface, customers can benefit from new and expanded service capabilities and greater technological advances.”

James D. Staley, present President and CEO of Roadway, will continue to head the Akron OH-based carrier in the new entity. “Our decision to combine with Yellow Corporation is an excellent step forward for our company,” he said. “Given the similarities in transportation operations, capabilities and union relations our companies share, partnering with Yellow is a logical move that clearly positions our combined organization for long-term growth and success.”

Comments by executives of the new entity indicate that shippers should see no immediate changes in their business dealings with Yellow-Roadway -- it is their intention to keep both brands in the marketplace. Initially the strategy is to cut back office expenses, not to close terminals and lay off drivers. The anticipation is that these early moves will result in savings in the neighborhood of $45 million.

Bill Zollars, current President and CEO of Yellow, will be Chairman, President and CEO of Yellow-Roadway. “This strategic combination brings the strengths of Yellow and Roadway together to capture significant synergies and growth opportunities,” said Zollars. “While there will be no change in the customer interface, customers can benefit from new and expanded service capabilities and greater technological advances.”

James D. Staley, present President and CEO of Roadway, will continue to head the Akron OH-based carrier in the new entity. “Our decision to combine with Yellow Corporation is an excellent step forward for our company,” he said. “Given the similarities in transportation operations, capabilities and union relations our companies share, partnering with Yellow is a logical move that clearly positions our combined organization for long-term growth and success.”

As far as Holland they should then with an OR of 93.5% they would be financially capable of doing so.

Sat in on a preshift this week run by Rich G. They can give no time lines or plans for other Chicago area terminals until Chicago Ridge first issues them a business license. He said they met with mayor and other city officials and they really do not want YRC back in there. Rich stated that for what they receive in property tax, the city would prefer retail business and sorts so they would receive much more revenue. Said a real estate firm has had the property up for sale for 4 yrs. for and asking price of 18 million. No offers have been received. He also stated they have had contractors look at the property to get an estimate of how much it will take to get the place up and running, and that amount was around a 1 million. He was asked point blank as to why the place was closed in the first place, and responded that at the time we were literally a day away from closing and needed to cut costs and try and sell the properties that they thought would sell fastest. The crash in the economy did not help. He went on to say the city has 30 - 60 days to respond to their permit request(permit costs 2500.00) to reopen. If they do not respond to them, or deny it they can reapply, or take legal action, which is the big reason they will not speculate on which terminals will be where. As he put it, too many people will run spreading rumor. (Cannot believe that) He also said maybe this attempt to reopen 301 may spur some help from the the city to motivate a buyer, and if that would happen they would then spend $$ at 309 to improve some of the issues there, i.e., lighting on the dock, and yard, the buildings and such. He was firm about not giving time lines about anything since reopening 301, or staying at 309 all have different plans on the drawing boards with which terminals will be where. Said we at this time have 296 operating terminals. and that number will continue to be tweeked.

WOW! Mr. G. say's around 1 million, that's not bad at all. That would only buy probably 3 tractors. Glad to see the bag and Yellow who like this post. Apparently,they believe his spin. Cause I don't. It will take much more than that $$$$$

YRC Worldwide
Overland Park, Kan.
Nasdaq: YRCW
James Welch, CEO
Jamie Pierson, CFO
YRC Worldwide: News, Investors, Media
2011 revenue $4,868,844,000 (354,517,000)
2010 revenue $4,334,640,000 (327,770,000)
Employees 32,000
15,602 company-owned tractors
51,636 trailers
YRC Freight (national and international LTL and TL, expedited, cross-border services)
YRC Reimer (regional and interregional LTL in Canada, cross-border services)
New Penn, Holland, Reddaway (regional and interregional LTL and TL,
expedited, cross-border services)
Flypaper, do you understand these figures? When was the LAST time you drove a tractor with less than 500,000 miles on it? The VAST majority of tractors have nearly 1,000,000 miles on them. Leased, purchased I don't give a damn. These people are using TEAMSTER money, without it we would be out of business. The day cab fleet is WORE OUT why can't you accept reality? There are many more DIRE conditions to be address before we spend MILLIONS for no reason! A couple hundred white day cabs is a drop in the bucket. To have a meaningful program to modernize our fleet they would need to replace a minimum of 3,000 tractors EVERY YEAR!

HIS quote!
"But prior to 2003 Yellow solely owned all their equipment except for the sleeper's."

2003?!?!?! 10 years ago?

Could we PLEASE focus on 2013? Thanks!