FedEx Freight | Contractor Team Run

When I left food service and came to Viking, people would ask me how many hours a week I spent at the gym.
No lift gates then, everything down the ramp. That was 30 pounds and 27 years ago.

When I left my former job which was similar to food service, I gained 15 pounds in the first year with fed ex.

Landstar owner operator team running SLC to Des Moines.
2 trips one week, 3 trips the next.
Discuss pay in this vid

Landstar owner operator team running SLC to Des Moines.
2 trips one week, 3 trips the next.
Discuss pay in this vid
Wait I thought we didn't run PTS each way??? They said it was only for overflow freight. I can't believe they lied to me . I wish there was a sarcasm font.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I'm only saying that teams don't work for free. They need money or miles, and FedEx doesn't offer money. If they took a 400mi meet and turn and canned it for an 800mi linehaul, at $1.45/mi it's not enough to cover the expenses of owning a tractor built in the last decade. Will they allow older equipment? Maybe, but everyone I've ever talked to is expecting no more than 7-9 years old on average. This includes FXG and FXCC. I won't speculate much more than the rate, since it could surprise me and be more than that, but I suspect not considering most US carriers are barely paying $1.00/mi plus fuel surcharge to contractors, who have to make it up on the mileage side, fuel economy and so on. And hope the truck doesn't break.

I would be incredibly surprised if this "trial" grows beyond a handful of contractors purely because most owner/operators running team look for long length hauls. Short ones won't pay enough. If FedEx tries 800mi/day, they'll get gypsies in 15 year old beaters from Schneider. And FedEx is a very image-conscious company, if nothing else, so I don't think they want that either.

I could be wrong, I'm the first to admit that I'm not always right. But as a rule, I look at something and ask myself if it makes sense. To get teams to run such short hauls, they'd have to pay pretty close to what a pair of company drivers are already paid to cover that distance. To save money, they have to pay less. To pay less and still get any interest, they need to offer miles.

As a team operator, my tractor covers 5900-6200mi a week. This is what it takes to pay for the truck, fuel, maintenance, taxes and supporting two homes that we still find time to get back to every week. I departed FedEx because they decided to charge for plates and insurance after years of not doing so, and the rate was not raised to compensate nor was I given more miles. Maybe you don't care, but this is how contractors operate.
I would agree Fedex cares a lot about image however some of the Fedex ground contractors around Chicagoland look like their trucks are ready for the scrap heap!

I watched the video and wasn’t all that impressed...had to avg 70+ mph just to make 1.91 per mile and that’s before deductions...then only taking a $750 payroll ($1500 for both) per week while spending all week in the truck or hotels...

Naw, I’ll take my Mon-Fri, home every day/night and off on weekends sleeping in my bed for more money anytime!!!

I watched the video and wasn’t all that impressed...had to avg 70+ mph just to make 1.91 per mile and that’s before deductions...then only taking a $750 payroll ($1500 for both) per week while spending all week in the truck or hotels...

Naw, I’ll take my Mon-Fri, home every day/night and off on weekends sleeping in my bed for more money anytime!!!

I am not interested either, just putting the info out there.

10,500 to the truck and and I think they get 65%. That means fedx is paying just over $16k a week for that run

Far as I know there have been holdovers from Watkins scattered around the system for years. Not many, but some. The contract didn't let them bid, so most guys left. Company bid drivers, extra board drivers, then contractors. Expected to be on call with no guarantees no matter their seniority.

Far as I know, the few that stayed got lumped in with the PTS lanes because they were too long for road or else one way. Only way to ensure they went every night.

Some of you guys have a serious misunderstanding of the term "contractor". There's nothing absolute about any contract FedEx offers to anyone. FedEx does not guarantee work to any contractor, but they do expect all contractors to be ready to roll at the call. By actually being an employee of the company, you get work before any contractor does unless it's work PTS would be doing anyway. In which case in-house contractors get priority over outside PTS.

A team contractor isn't interested in your 400mi meet and turn, I promise you.
Yeah? How about somebody's 600 mile run. Don't be so foolish

Already being done in Goodland, Kansas (GLD). The contractor runs from GLD to a meet with FSM (iirc) in Newton, Kansas. Big sleeper truck pulling two pups, has been for years.
Roog,Why would they need a team unit for that turn? Goodland/Newton is only a 600 mile turn? Both FX and OD does 650+mile Wichita--Goodland turns with daycabs.

I think maybe I took the video a little different. Most businesses want the government to think they where at a loss for the year, so just paying each other 750 after taxes but yet 1500 really went to the same house hold hmmmmm I would say most of us that the spouse doesn’t work brings home about the same pay(1500 after taxes) We just cant split it or hide the extra as a business account. Thats what they choose to pay each other

Meeting this morning said five centers are going to a trail bases contractors running team pulling our equipment. I wasn’t at the meeting personally but was told this is what the meeting was about.
My concern is them pulling our trailers and Ducker is leaving and is this another camel getting further in the tent. I can see runs being cancelled because there in the parking lot with a contract meaning your run for the night went out with the contractor
Excuse me for intruding, but I felt I had to comment. I ran team with R&L Carriers for over 10 years until I retired. While not a union carrier, they were real good to work for for about 9 years. Then they formed a separate O/O company called Paramount. When this happened, our teams runs began to be siphoned off a little at a time because they could run the O/O for less than a company team. This worked so well they bought a couple of hole in the wall companies, one pulling reefers. That company pretty much wiped out team runs to Florida. We would sit in the yard at night, watching team load after team load go out with these other cheap ass companies. We would see our Texas and Florida freight leave on the other carriers, then they would dispatch us to the east coast on a much shorter, more time consuming load. So once it starts get ready. Hopefully they don't do to the extent R&L did, because they pretty much screwed the teams, and even some line haul runs were taken over by Paramount.

Gotta love all of the naysayers, how many times have we heard this rant over the last 20+ years???

It started back when we first started to use PT’s...oh no, they’re gonna bring in purchase carriers and we’re all gonna be out of a job, they’re gonna make us all contractors, the sky is falling, boo-hoo-hoo...and yet after massive growth and thousands of new company drivers later we’re all still working...

Then came the rail cans...oh no, they’re gonna put everything on the trains and we’re all gonna be out of a job, they’re gonna make us contract drayage drivers, the sky is falling, boo-hoo-hoo...and yet after even more growth and several hundred new drivers later we’re all still working...

Now it’s the power only team PT’s...oh no, they’re gonna give these teams all of our runs and we’re all gonna be out of a job, they’re gonna make us all team contractors, the sky is falling, boo-hoo-hoo...get back with me in a couple years and let’s see how much more we’ve grown and how many more new drivers we’ve added...

Misery Loves Company!!!

Gotta love all of the naysayers, how many times have we heard this rant over the last 20+ years???

It started back when we first started to use PT’s...oh no, they’re gonna bring in purchase carriers and we’re all gonna be out of a job, they’re gonna make us all contractors, the sky is falling, boo-hoo-hoo...and yet after massive growth and thousands of new company drivers later we’re all still working...

Then came the rail cans...oh no, they’re gonna put everything on the trains and we’re all gonna be out of a job, they’re gonna make us contract drayage drivers, the sky is falling, boo-hoo-hoo...and yet after even more growth and several hundred new drivers later we’re all still working...

Now it’s the power only team PT’s...oh no, they’re gonna give these teams all of our runs and we’re all gonna be out of a job, they’re gonna make us all team contractors, the sky is falling, boo-hoo-hoo...get back with me in a couple years and let’s see how much more we’ve grown and how many more new drivers we’ve added...

Misery Loves Company!!!

Easy to run you're mouth when it's not you're run on the chopping block.... just sayin

Power only team running from DAL to Campo Co meet point meeting DEN, been running for about 5 weeks now. Had meeting with MD last Thursday told that we are adding 2 runs, 1 going to Campo the other to DAL. It was a trial run put on to ensure that the freight was going to come out the northwest on a regular basis so they could justify adding the runs on at our yard. Yes we were concerned, but the job openings have been posted and it appears we will be hiring off the street as no one wants to transfer into a relay yard. Can't respond as to where the other "trial runs" are taking place at.