FedEx Freight | Contractor Team Run

It was Fairway before Watkins bought it and they operated on there own. I have no knowledge of the Canadian side of the operation exept switching out in Detroit with them. So hence I will not indulge myself into that like you are doing here. My original post was to say a trial of five centers with contractor team trucks will be running out of them. If this realing chaps your way of thinking then dont answer the post. Personally I dont know you or give a rip about what you have to say when your not even employed here.
You had a disagreement with your contact and left . So have a good day
I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I'm only saying that teams don't work for free. They need money or miles, and FedEx doesn't offer money. If they took a 400mi meet and turn and canned it for an 800mi linehaul, at $1.45/mi it's not enough to cover the expenses of owning a tractor built in the last decade. Will they allow older equipment? Maybe, but everyone I've ever talked to is expecting no more than 7-9 years old on average. This includes FXG and FXCC. I won't speculate much more than the rate, since it could surprise me and be more than that, but I suspect not considering most US carriers are barely paying $1.00/mi plus fuel surcharge to contractors, who have to make it up on the mileage side, fuel economy and so on. And hope the truck doesn't break.

I would be incredibly surprised if this "trial" grows beyond a handful of contractors purely because most owner/operators running team look for long length hauls. Short ones won't pay enough. If FedEx tries 800mi/day, they'll get gypsies in 15 year old beaters from Schneider. And FedEx is a very image-conscious company, if nothing else, so I don't think they want that either.

I could be wrong, I'm the first to admit that I'm not always right. But as a rule, I look at something and ask myself if it makes sense. To get teams to run such short hauls, they'd have to pay pretty close to what a pair of company drivers are already paid to cover that distance. To save money, they have to pay less. To pay less and still get any interest, they need to offer miles.

As a team operator, my tractor covers 5900-6200mi a week. This is what it takes to pay for the truck, fuel, maintenance, taxes and supporting two homes that we still find time to get back to every week. I departed FedEx because they decided to charge for plates and insurance after years of not doing so, and the rate was not raised to compensate nor was I given more miles. Maybe you don't care, but this is how contractors operate.

It doesnt have to be a owner operator, it can be done from a outside Carrier providing truck plus driver pool. All was stated was contractor teams. Schnieder, crst and so on all do it with walmart, at one time kimberley clark , PPG glass, sherwin williams, so fedex would have no issue with this and at one time these companies was strictly company owned trucks pulling their own trailer. Not saying outside trucking companies didnt haul their freight because they did as they do here. But know these same outsiders are hooking up to the shippers trailers as what is going to be done here. It was a slow process then all a sudden emerson electric no more company drivers, PPG no more company drivers walmart is smaller than what they used to be and so on.
Get my meaning, so clear your head of ownership. Remember the rail was for junk freight but guess where priority freight is on now, the train. So you see your argument with me isn’t working

Last edited:
You guys need to get your panties out of a wad, what you’re seeing is nothing more than a numbers game, that’s it...

Due to the driver shortage, which has been compounded by the low unemployment rates, to which the truckload carriers aren’t immune to either (although most will hire any warm body they can), and with almost, if not every, LTL company using some sort of PT service these days, even they are learning to adapt and cope with today’s evolving trucking environment. Their solution is to offer a truck, solo or team, to service a company’s needs as well as a trailer if needed. Companies like ours use this to their advantage like I imagine most are, and here’s how it works...

PT’s offer to pull your freight on their trailer for X amount per mile OR they’ll offer to pull your freight on your trailer for around 1/2 the amount per mile. What you guys are seeing is nothing more than PT’s pulling our freight on our trailers instead of them pulling our freight on their trailers...nothing more, nothing less...

By offering the lower rate to pull your trailer, it frees up their equipment for their other truckload customers while allowing them the flexibility to dispatch their drivers where they’re needed...pulling our trailers to a said destination then picking up one of their trailers from another customer and heading somewhere else...pretty simple.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the use of rail cans is also down, perhaps that’s why we’re seeing more of these sleeper PT’s pulling our trailers as well...

Also, was told today that the skids have been put on the use of teams to pull our equipment...for obvious reasons...my question is when we don’t meet our goals for the bi-annual bonuses or the numbers aren’t what they could’ve been, can I blame the negative nellies and will they be supplementing my check for the lost money??

Side note: with the next group of drivers being added to the road board, that means we’ll have added 17 more road drivers to our board in the last 9 months (or since the union was voted out), so I’m guessing with the amount of growth we’re experiencing, I seriously doubt we’ll be kicked to the curb in exchange for team contractors any time soon...just sayin’

Last edited:
Before I departed for another Job, we would actually pull freight off our own pups to fill the PT going east only to cut a driver at the terminal I worked at in the Pac NW. WE were told that unless we could give the company set up for that run a 3hr notice of cancellation, it had to be done or FEDEX paid them the cost of the run. As was mentioned earlier about rail, we were told at TAC again it was for economy only that did not have time limits on deliveries. After they increased rail by 12 percent, thats when we added more shuttle runs with dock work. I saw the writing on the wall and went to another LTL, back as a driver and not a forklift driver. So when things are on trial basis, as mentioned earlier, you can bet they already have a plan but you will not know until your service center manager has a chat and tells you " the contractors pulling our equip will save money because were reducing the maintenance cost and fuel cost associated with running our own trucks, and that a good thing for the company" as we were told about the rail...best of luck to all at freight

This was happening at our place, power only pulling our trailers to our meet point. After meeting yesterday we were informed that 2 more runs were being added and were in the process of now hiring 2 more drivers to fill these runs. Was also told that this was done on a trial basis just to see if the freight was available from the other end on a consistent basis, has been and is being used in different places throughout the company.

You guys need to get your panties out of a wad, what you’re seeing is nothing more than a numbers game, that’s it...

Due to the driver shortage, which has been compounded by the low unemployment rates, to which the truckload carriers aren’t immune to either (although most will hire any warm body they can), and with almost, if not every, LTL company using some sort of PT service these days, even they are learning to adapt and cope with today’s evolving trucking environment. Their solution is to offer a truck, solo or team, to service a company’s needs as well as a trailer if needed. Companies like ours use this to their advantage like I imagine most are, and here’s how it works...

PT’s offer to pull your freight on their trailer for X amount per mile OR they’ll offer to pull your freight on your trailer for around 1/2 the amount per mile. What you guys are seeing is nothing more than PT’s pulling our freight on our trailers instead of them pulling our freight on their trailers...nothing more, nothing less...

By offering the lower rate to pull your trailer, it frees up their equipment for their other truckload customers while allowing them the flexibility to dispatch their drivers where they’re needed...pulling our trailers to a said destination then picking up one of their trailers from another customer and heading somewhere else...pretty simple.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the use of rail cans is also down, perhaps that’s why we’re seeing more of these sleeper PT’s pulling our trailers as well...

Also, was told today that the skids have been put on the use of teams to pull our equipment...for obvious reasons...my question is when we don’t meet our goals for the bi-annual bonuses or the numbers aren’t what they could’ve been, can I blame the negative nellies and will they be supplementing my check for the lost money??

Side note: with the next group of drivers being added to the road board, that means we’ll have added 17 more road drivers to our board in the last 9 months (or since the union was voted out), so I’m guessing with the amount of growth we’re experiencing, I seriously doubt we’ll be kicked to the curb in exchange for team contractors any time soon...just sayin’

Typical response from someone who doesn't care as long as it doesn't effect them. Maybe they are letting them pull our trailers to get rid of old trailers.

Typical response from someone who doesn't care as long as it doesn't effect them. Maybe they are letting them pull our trailers to get rid of old trailers.
PT effects every driver in one way or another, and unlike yourself, I try to understand the facts and focus on the positives...and they’re pulling our trailers because it cost the company less to have them pull ours vs pulling their own...simple arithmetic.

PT effects every driver in one way or another, and unlike yourself, I try to understand the facts and focus on the positives...and they’re pulling our trailers because it cost the company less to have them pull ours vs pulling their own...simple arithmetic.

Save your musings for you're clown club.

Sounds like exactly what I said!!!

NOTE: Hope you don’t get reprimanded for posting an internal memo that clearly states “for internal use only, DO NOT POST” on social media!! If so, it’s your own fault for not reading our policies concerning posting on social media, just sayin’.....good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like exactly what I said!!!

NOTE: Hope you don’t get reprimanded for posting an internal memo that clearly states “for internal use only, DO NOT POST” on social media!! If so, it’s your own fault for not reading our policies concerning posting on social media, just sayin’.....good luck!!

I know you're not very bright, but go back and read the first post. They had meetings about it so it's not private smart guy.

I know you're not very bright, but go back and read the first post. They had meetings about it so it's not private smart guy.
I see your comprehension skills are still lacking...having a meeting to discuss the memo then posting about what was said and actually posting the memo is two seperate issues, hence they wouldn’t have added the line “DO NOT POST”!!

If the company ever wanted to get rid of your sorry, disgruntled ass here’s their chance, per policy...good luck, I won’t be pulling for ya!!
(Tell Norm I said hi!!)

I see your comprehension skills are still lacking...having a meeting to discuss the memo then posting about what was said and actually posting the memo is two seperate issues, hence they wouldn’t have added the line “DO NOT POST”!!

If the company ever wanted to get rid of your sorry, disgruntled ass here’s their chance, per policy...good luck, I won’t be pulling for ya!!
(Tell Norm I said hi!!)

My comprehension skills are fine, seems to me you have no idea how a pre-shift on one of these meetings works.... so let me say it so even you can understand it THEY READ THE MEMO TO YOU lmao. How bout you worry about yourself and not totaling any more trucks plus injuring anymore people... then having to run to you're daddy to keep you're job.

My comprehension skills are fine, seems to me you have no idea how a pre-shift on one of these meetings works.... so let me say it so even you can understand it THEY READ THE MEMO TO YOU lmao. How bout you worry about yourself and not totaling any more trucks plus injuring anymore people... then having to run to you're daddy to keep you're job.
Again, your comprehension skills are lacking...reading the memo to you word for word then you repeating what was said and actually posting the memo is two separate issues. “DO NOT POST” was added to the memo for a reason...one you obviously can’t comprehend!!

You need new sources...the truck wasn’t totaled (currently being driven by a WMN driver), no one was injured, and no help was needed by anyone to keep their job...just sayin’

Again, your comprehension skills are lacking...reading the memo to you word for word then you repeating what was said and actually posting the memo is two separate issues. “DO NOT POST” was added to the memo for a reason...one you obviously can’t comprehend!!

You need new sources...the truck wasn’t totaled (currently being driven by a WMN driver), no one was injured, and no help was needed by anyone to keep their job...just sayin’

Again my comprehension skills are fine. I think you need to brush up on yours. It is not a leaked document einstein. It says not to post, but you see once it is communicated to the affected centers it is not private anymore. As far as you're accident goes you can down play the severity all you want I know the truth. How's that TSA score red? :hilarious: