ABF | Covid Positive,

piker

TB Lurker
Credits
A Driver at our barn tested positive,SCM had him burn up all of his PTO,now on FML.I was just wondering what was practice with PTO at other barns!

A Driver at our barn tested positive,SCM had him burn up all of his PTO,now on FML.I was just wondering what was practice with PTO at other barns!
You should not be forced to use any days, should have right to collect or not be paid. When this started no one was forced….what changed? Seems like they want everyone to burn their days up because were busy & can’t find help…. I would call the hall & get confirmation maybe something changed. Btw Ernie should be the next removed from his position, the guy is clueless

Last edited:
You should not be forced to use any days, should have right to collect or not be paid. When this started no one was forced….what changed? Seems like they want everyone to burn their days up because were busy & can’t find help…. I would call the hall & get confirmation maybe something changed. Btw Ernie should be the next removed from his position, the guy is clueless
Can't confirm it but body language is telling me office people aren't taking that haircut for positive test

Don't be sheepish , just go get the shot !
lamb-vaccination-afraid-workers-hands-waiting-53547620.jpg

That’s the opposite of what he’s saying. They are being forced to use their sick & vacation time instead of collecting or using no time at all….
I'm a little confused, how is ABF forcing employees to use PTO? At 086 we have to log into workday to use vacation or PTO so what happens if you don't?

A couple of years ago I was at 004 waiting in dispatch when the linehaul transportation manager (big white guy) cornered a driver and was telling him he had to turn in some vacation time because he had unexcused absences. The driver was arguing that he didn't want to turn in any vacation time. I don't know how it turned out because they went into a room next to the bathroom (transportation manager office I think). I have been in the same confrontation here at 086 and I have just asked to have a warning letter sent to the house. Sometimes they did, sometime not. It usually depended on if I used ABF insurance or not. I have gotten 2 or 3 COBRA letters in 2021. That is normal for me. 086 has to work 3 tours to cover our insurance.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, how is ABF forcing employees to use PTO? At 086 we have to log into workday to use vacation or PTO so what happens if you don't?

A couple of years ago I was at 004 waiting in dispatch when the linehaul transportation manager (big white guy) cornered a driver and was telling him he had to turn in some vacation time because he had unexcused absences. The driver was arguing that he didn't want to turn in any vacation time. I don't know how it turned out because they went into a room next to the bathroom (transportation manager office I think).
Here at the Rock, to my knowledge, if you have any of your five paid sick days left they will take them unless you specifically request them not to. They will in most cases issue a warning letter if you request “not” to use your paid sick days.
Homesick, I don’t think you have to use Workday to request a paid sick day unless something has changed. Workday is for Vacation scheduling and moving a birthday/anniversary day. I am pretty sure you still just call off to use a paid sick day, but I could be wrong.
By the way, the “big white guy” was Brent.

A couple of years ago I was at 004 waiting in dispatch when the linehaul transportation manager (big white guy) cornered a driver and was telling him he had to turn in some vacation time because he had unexcused absences. The driver was arguing that he didn't want to turn in any vacation time. I don't know how it turned out because they went into a room next to the bathroom (transportation manager office I think). I have been in the same confrontation here at 086 and I have just asked to have a warning letter sent to the house. Sometimes they did, sometime not. It usually depended on if I used ABF insurance or not. I have gotten 2 or 3 COBRA letters in 2021. That is normal for me. 086 has to work 3 tours to cover our insurance.
Piker said at his terminal they were forcing guys to use pto or sick if they had Covid….

Here at the Rock, to my knowledge, if you have any of your five paid sick days left they will take them unless you specifically request them not to. They will in most cases issue a warning letter if you request “not” to use your paid sick days.
Homesick, I don’t think you have to use Workday to request a paid sick day unless something has changed. Workday is for Vacation scheduling and moving a birthday/anniversary day. I am pretty sure you still just call off to use a paid sick day, but I could be wrong.
Terminal manager has to put your sick days in….

And, for those of you that are unaware, if you have FMLA, they can use any unscheduled vacation time you have with the exception of your final week per Article 38 of the ABF NMFA. So, if you have FMLA, be sure and schedule all of your vacation time if you don’t want them to use it for FMLA leave. You can always reschedule the vacation to another week before it comes up. The key is to keep it all scheduled or they will most likely use it for FMLA leave.

And, for those of you that are unaware, if you have FMLA, they can use any unscheduled vacation time you have with the exception of your final week per Article 38 of the ABF NMFA. So, if you have FMLA, be sure and schedule all of your vacation time if you don’t want them to use it for FMLA leave. You can always reschedule the vacation to another week before it comes up. The key is to keep it all scheduled or they will most likely use it for FMLA leave.

2C411834-CD0C-4D91-AFDE-4B8EB8D16A22.md.jpg 7C4CCDCF-C680-43B4-99E9-C62FAB86FF38.md.jpg

At 086 you call in sick to be off but to get paid for a sick day you must log into workday and schedule the sick day from the drop down menu. ABF 086 does not automatically pay you for a sick day just because you called off. I didn't realize other terminals automatically paid you for sick days when you take off. And thanks for the FMLA information, that is something I've never used.

And 086 won't accept vacation scheduled more than 2 weeks in advance and you must give 48 hours notice.

At 086 you call in sick to be off but to get paid for a sick day you must log into workday and schedule the sick day from the drop down menu. ABF 086 does not automatically pay you for a sick day just because you called off. I didn't realize other terminals automatically paid you for sick days when you take off. And thanks for the FMLA information, that is something I've never used.

And 086 won't accept vacation scheduled more than 2 weeks in advance and you must give 48 hours notice.
I was not aware that you now have to post on Workday for a sick day. I wonder what happens if you don’t? Do you get to keep your paid sick days to use later with no discipline?

I was not aware that you now have to post on Workday for a sick day. I wonder what happens if you don’t? Do you get to keep your paid sick days to use later with no discipline?
Yes and no. You get to keep your sick day for later use but you may or may not get a warning letter. ABF management is not consistent on what they do. It seems to me and others as if it depends of freight levels and if they have enough personnel to cover freight levels.