ABF | Covid Positive,

My head hurts.

My drive and zeal for simplicity in trucking has made it possible to tell suits where they can take the time and stick it when necessary.

At 086 you call in sick to be off but to get paid for a sick day you must log into workday and schedule the sick day from the drop down menu. ABF 086 does not automatically pay you for a sick day just because you called off. I didn't realize other terminals automatically paid you for sick days when you take off. And thanks for the FMLA information, that is something I've never used.

And 086 won't accept vacation scheduled more than 2 weeks in advance and you must give 48 hours notice.
I spoke to a lady named Kay from the Fort & she told me my Tm has to put sick days in, maybe things changed. He also put a vacation day I forgot to put in….

Working out of walmart years ago they had taken control of the sick day time off process. Made it byzantine. You needed a note from the doctor (Which will cost you at least 150 dollars to see him plus more for tests...) you needed two levels of managers to sign off and approve that particular incident. Otherwise you are to be disclipined.

And everything was driven by a computer. Without a supervisor or two of sufficient rank and power to do things on their end, there was no way for a employee on hourly to call out sick.

What to do then? Simply stay home and be sick. Get a doctor involved at urgent care. Hand all papers to store manager boss when brought in under threat of firing. All the computer and phone hocus pocus was deliberately ignored. They can always fire us for being sick.

Would that be nice at unemployment office with the state if we did actually get fired.

We got out from under walmart soon after. By then the workforce was evolving in dysphoria ways that we do not find acceptable.

To say the least, they just fired a newer guy for taking a day off. The Tm told him not to do it or he better have a doctors note ( for 1 day?) Their was no progression leading up to this. A wrongful termination grievance was filed by our B.a.

Geesh, have a heart you dang suits. There must be some kind of overcompenstating for firing people for simply being human.

If you did not let the dogs (Drivers) run loose once in a while you are going to have a unsafe work place.

If they do that just come in sick and force them to send you home, at that point you file a grievance and then they can't make you use time, because the company sent you home.

Ya know... there IS a magic word I used a couple of times.

I learned this from my doctor decades ago. hes gone now but what he taught me with a ink black pen versus a TB test in the inside of the elbow was a very good thing to know. Mark 7 spots in a circle inside that elbow. Black dots. A little touch of shoe polish black mostly rubbed off.

Go into bossman's office after one has had time off. Get yelled at with bad language and threats. "THERE YOU ARE!!! WHERE YOU BEEN YOU LASZY NO GOOD SOB!?!?"

Rub arm and say "TB"

You will be tossed out on your ass and told to go away for a week faster than you showed up.

I tried entering some sick days for this next week and the drop box did not have “sick days” as an option. I too had to get our Operations Manager to enter them for me when I got to work.
When you go to workday it ask you to put in the amount of hours you are requesting. A vacation day is a total of 9 hours, a sick day is 8 hours. If you put in 8 hours it gives you a sick day off. It you put in 9 hours it will give you a vacation day off. Hope this helps you.

When you go to workday it ask you to put in the amount of hours you are requesting. A vacation day is a total of 9 hours, a sick day is 8 hours. If you put in 8 hours it gives you a sick day off. It you put in 9 hours it will give you a vacation day off. Hope this helps you.
Had a co-worker that mistakenly put in 8 hours for a single day vacation like you were saying, and never got approved for it thru workday. It did not change it to a sick day either. Below is the options the drop box gave me yesterday when I tried to enter my remaining sick days for next week.

A2EF4DB8-3BF1-4541-855F-F7159C9DC181.md.jpg

Now were even more short handed and the guy is going to get a paid Christmas vacation....can't make this up.
I have seen several lower & middle level management types get an education about kicking around employees & ignoring the contract. You cannot reason with those with that attitude. You get their attention & respect by collecting back pay. Upper level management notices payments made for grievances. I remember a certain terminal manager who did not get a regional job because of a large sum paid to multiple employees when he tried to rewrite the contract & ignored advice from the local.

Last edited:
I have seen several lower & middle level management types get an education about kicking around employees & ignoring the contract. You cannot reason with those with that attitude. You get their attention & respect by collecting back pay. Upper level management notices payments made for grievances. I remember a certain terminal manager who did not get a regional job because of a large sum paid to multiple employees when he tried to rewrite the contract & ignored the advice from the local.
Sad part is labor man & the Fort gave the green light on this….Reason given “job abandonment”

I have seen several lower & middle level management types get an education about kicking around employees & ignoring the contract. You cannot reason with those with that attitude. You get their attention & respect by collecting back pay. Upper level management notices payments made for grievances. I remember a certain terminal manager who did not get a regional job because of a large sum paid to multiple employees when he tried to rewrite the contract & ignored the advice from the local.
I remember that event well. Right before Christmas of 1997 I believe. That one grievance ended up costing the company over $250,000 for all of us here at 004. If I remember correctly, I ended up getting close to $1200 back pay on that one myself. That one grievance was important enough to warrant two full pages in “The Southern Region Book of Interpretations” (page 72-73). Thank you for your generous donations Mike!!!

I remember that event well. Right before Christmas of 1997 I believe. That one grievance ended up costing the company over $250,000 for all of us here at 004. If I remember correctly, I ended up getting close to $1200 back pay on that one myself. That one grievance was important enough to warrant two full pages in “The Southern Region Book of Interpretations” (page 72-73). Thank you for your generous donations Mike!!!
The BA told him he was bleeding & that he could abide by the contract to lessen the impact from his mistake.

The BA told him he was bleeding & that he could abide by the contract to lessen the impact from his mistake.
I also heard that Gordon R. (Industrial Relations) blew his top when the decision on that one was announced at the grievance hearings. Believe it or not Gordon ended up being the one that helped put the CDL qualifying grievance we filed in 2014 over the top in our favor. When our BA thanked him for his honesty, he asked him why he did it. His response was, “I may be an SOB, but I am not a lying SOB”.

To say the least, they just fired a newer guy for taking a day off. The Tm told him not to do it or he better have a doctors note ( for 1 day?) Their was no progression leading up to this. A wrongful termination grievance was filed by our B.a.
Sad part is labor man & the Fort gave the green light on this….Reason given “job abandonment”
Total BS and easily beatable with a decent BA. Not one of the stipulated contractual reasons for immediate dismissal. Neither is the totally BS "voluntary quit" which is sometimes tried by the company.

The 48 hour rule is contractual. The two weeks in advance is not. If they persist with this practice, I would grieve it to get a ruling as there is no contractual language in our supplement about it. Article 52 in the Southern Region Supplement.
Homesick, my apologizes. Vacation in the Road supplement is Article 55. It is Article 52 in the city/dock supplement. The two week thing is not mentioned in the road side either. Therefore, I would still grieve it if they deny you putting in a request for vacation outside of their 2-week window.

Total BS and easily beatable with a decent BA. Not one of the stipulated contractual reasons for immediate dismissal. Neither is the totally BS "voluntary quit" which is sometimes tried by the company.
He tried to give them a heads up. Hopefully he learned his lesson & give them a two hour call. Let me say the guy has burnt a lot of bridges with management & even a lot of his fell teamsters, but with no progression is crazy that they went this route….

Had a co-worker that mistakenly put in 8 hours for a single day vacation like you were saying, and never got approved for it thru workday. It did not change it to a sick day either. Below is the options the drop box gave me yesterday when I tried to enter my remaining sick days for next week.

A2EF4DB8-3BF1-4541-855F-F7159C9DC181.md.jpg
That is what we get also. I tried to upload that picture and a picture of the employee discussion report you get when you have sick days, and you call off sick, but don't request pay for the sick day. But my phone won't let me post pictures now. Before workday 086 had to turn in a pay log with "8 hours sick pay" written on it.

I don't know how many employee loose count of their sick days and forget to request unused sick pay at the end of the year. I do believe that is why 086 has to request sick pay rather than the company automatically paying them.