ABF | Covid Positive,

I don't know how many employee loose count of their sick days and forget to request unused sick pay at the end of the year. I do believe that is why 086 has to request sick pay rather than the company automatically paying them.
I hate to admit this, but that very thing nearly happened to me about 15 years ago. It happened when we still got our sick days effective April 1st of each year. I showed up for work on March 31st, and the office person that logged all the vacation and sick time asked me “what are you doing here?” I told him that “it is a scheduled work day for me.” He responded, “I thought you would use your last sick day today.” I immediately went and filled out the form for the pay for that unused sick day. Had he not said anything, I never would have known that I had one left, nor would I have known to request the pay for that unused sick day. Ever since that day, I log every vacation and sick day taken in my phone to keep track of it.

I hate to admit this, but that very thing nearly happened to me about 15 years ago. It happened when we still got our sick days effective April 1st of each year. I showed up for work on March 31st, and the office person that logged all the vacation and sick time asked me “what are you doing here?” I told him that “it is a scheduled work day for me.” He responded, “I thought you would use your last sick day today.” I immediately went and filled out the form for the pay for that unused sick day. Had he not said anything, I never would have known that I had one left, nor would I have known to request the pay for that unused sick day. Ever since that day, I log every vacation and sick day taken in my phone to keep track of it.
Me to brother. I keep a running tab in my day planner LOL. fool me once, etc.

Homesick, my apologizes. Vacation in the Road supplement is Article 55. It is Article 52 in the city/dock supplement. The two week thing is not mentioned in the road side either. Therefore, I would still grieve it if they deny you putting in a request for vacation outside of their 2-week window.
I may have miss-posted. Before workday we were limited to 2 weeks notice on vacation requests. But I don't know that anyone has tried to request vacation days more than 2 weeks in advance in workday. 2 weeks advance notice was policy when we turned in vacation requests paperwork.

I also heard that Gordon R. (Industrial Relations) blew his top when the decision on that one was announced at the grievance hearings. Believe it or not Gordon ended up being the one that helped put the CDL qualifying grievance we filed in 2014 over the top in our favor. When our BA thanked him for his honesty, he asked him why he did it. His response was, “I may be an SOB, but I am not a lying SOB”.
I knew several Industrial Relations men over the years & did not personally dislike many of them. They had their job to do & I respected that. The kiss of death in dealing with grievance & discharge committees was intentionally telling lies. That was the same for management & BA's. I remember a company maintenance management type lied to the Industrial Relations man about a grievance that should have been easily settled in the shop without even a grievance being filed. It could have easily turned into a discrimination suit & won. Had the Industrial Relations man had his way that manager would have been fired even after over 30 years with the company.
I was not concerned about the mouthy, hotheaded IR men, they usually were easily beaten at hearings because a lot of what they brought were ******* matches. The company had a few that never lost their cool. They listened more than they talked & never forgot what was said. Those men won more than not. Those on the committees knew when they brought something to the hearings it was legitimate & not one of the aforementioned matches.

I was not concerned about the mouthy, hotheaded IR men, they usually were easily beaten at hearings because a lot of what they brought were ******* matches. The company had a few that never lost their cool. They listened more than they talked & never forgot what was said. Those men won more than not. Those on the committees knew when they brought something to the hearings it was legitimate & not one of the aforementioned matches.
Ah yes, you must have dealt with Mr. Dale back in the day. He was a little before my time as the IR man, but I was told by many that he was very fair and treated you as his equal. I did get to meet him in 2010 (I think it was) when the company was looking for wage concessions. He answered any and all questions we had and never lost his cool. He even surprised me with a few of his responses on where the company had made mistakes. I went into that meeting expecting the usual pompous responses from a company man, and walked out with nothing but respect for Mr. Dale. Class act all the way. ABF would do well finding more people like him.

Last edited:
Ah yes, you must have dealt with Mr. Dale back in the day. He was a little before my time as the IR man, but I was told by many that he was very fair and treated you as his equal. I did get to meet him in 2010 (I think it was) when the company was looking for wage concessions. He answered any and all questions we had and never lost his cool. He even surprised me with a few of his responses on where the company had made mistakes. I went into that meeting expecting the usual pompous responses from a company man, and walked out with nothing but respect for Mr. Dale. Class act all the way. ABF would do well finding more people like him.
John Dale was tough but fair. Reggie Kinney was also fair. Probably one of the best was John Giddings. He usually wanted to settle any grievance/time claim before going to grievance/discharge committee. He listened more than he talked which is the mark of a wise man. I never saw him raise his voice & he carefully thought before he spoke.

I did see John Dale run out of patience. There was some company vehicle vandalism & intentional freight damage. I think Mr. Young also said there would be no tolerance for those responsible.

Had a co-worker that mistakenly put in 8 hours for a single day vacation like you were saying, and never got approved for it thru workday. It did not change it to a sick day either. Below is the options the drop box gave me yesterday when I tried to enter my remaining sick days for next week
When you go to workday it ask you to put in the amount of hours you are requesting. A vacation day is a total of 9 hours, a sick day is 8 hours. If you put in 8 hours it gives you a sick day off. It you put in 9 hours it will give you a vacation day off. Hope this helps you.
Yes you are right, after that another drop box comes down. Its ask full or partial week off. Check the box that says partial. After that you will be asked for the amount of hours that you want to take. Put the number 8 in that box. You will be charged a sick day off.

I think that happened to me one year...I don't understand why the company doesn't just pay you your unused time (I didn't think about it till it was too late, and never asked because I didn't want to know after the fact)....now I keep track every year....

I also heard that Gordon R. (Industrial Relations) blew his top when the decision on that one was announced at the grievance hearings. Believe it or not Gordon ended up being the one that helped put the CDL qualifying grievance we filed in 2014 over the top in our favor. When our BA thanked him for his honesty, he asked him why he did it. His response was, “I may be an SOB, but I am not a lying SOB”.
An industrial relations man or a BA might win one grievance with a lie but would lose all credibility when the lie came to light. The best policy for every situation is to tell the truth & you don't have to worry/remember about what you said.

An industrial relations man or a BA might win one grievance with a lie but would lose all credibility when the lie came to light. The best policy for every situation is to tell the truth & you don't have to worry/remember about what you said.
You are absolutely correct. My first year or so dealing with Gordon was nothing but cussing and yelling at each other at local talks. I thought he was the most obnoxious SOB on the planet, and I am sure he felt the same way towards me. Once we both realized that the other one was never giving in, we learned to tolerate one another. We eventually learned how to work with one another and would listen to each other’s reasoning before responding. So I guess you can say that we learned to understand one another. His inability to lie eventually won my respect, even if I did not agree with his methods. Because of him, I learned to be very detailed in the grievances that I filed, because if I were not, he would shred me to pieces at the grievance hearings. Gordon was not a bad person, he was just a little to hard-core about his opinions of others flaws. When I learned to deal with this trait of his, we were able to resolve most of our disagreements with local talks. In short, his honesty won my respect, but his methods never did.

You are absolutely correct. My first year or so dealing with Gordon was nothing but cussing and yelling at each other at local talks. I thought he was the most obnoxious SOB on the planet, and I am sure he felt the same way towards me. Once we both realized that the other one was never giving in, we learned to tolerate one another. We eventually learned how to work with one another and would listen to each other’s reasoning before responding. So I guess you can say that we learned to understand one another. His inability to lie eventually won my respect, even if I did not agree with his methods. Because of him, I learned to be very detailed in the grievances that I filed, because if I were not, he would shred me to pieces at the grievance hearings. Gordon was not a bad person, he was just a little to hard-core about his opinions of others flaws. When I learned to deal with this trait of his, we were able to resolve most of our disagreements with local talks. In short, his honesty won my respect, but his methods never did.
You have too much time on your hands, now you're quoting Judge Judy's favorite line lmao.
Actually I heard that from a grandparent. He was a wise man & I miss drawing from his experiences in life. He was a farmer who was always kind to animals. He was asked once how he trained his mules to work so well by a man who would beat his animals because they did not understand what he wanted of them. Grandpa told him to train animals you have to be smarter than they are.

You have too much time on your hands, now you're quoting Judge Judy's favorite line lmao.
Judge Judy was a treat.

However some of the material that showed up on both the plaintiff and defendant sometimes did not have much of a case in the first place. A waste of all of our time. Hers especially.

I realized why I like to watch her shows. As ancient as she was, she had a mind like a steel trap. What a sharp wit and occasionally dip into Yiddish or German to side step really bad thoughts in english best not broadcasted.

Here at the Rock, to my knowledge, if you have any of your five paid sick days left they will take them unless you specifically request them not to. They will in most cases issue a warning letter if you request “not” to use your paid sick days.
Homesick, I don’t think you have to use Workday to request a paid sick day unless something has changed. Workday is for Vacation scheduling and moving a birthday/anniversary day. I am pretty sure you still just call off to use a paid sick day, but I could be wrong.
By the way, the “big white guy” was Brent.
Today the road drivers at 086 were told that we will be charged a sick day (8 hour pay) if we call in sick.......automatically.......like Go and Steward have posted. We are also told that if we do not want to receive 8 hours pay we need to take a personal day (no pay). This is pursuant to a decision at the National Grievance Hearing March 30, 2004. Signed by Ken Bryant.

Last edited:
Today the road drivers at 086 were told that we will be charged a sick day (8 hour pay) if we call in sick.......automatically.......like Go and Steward have posted. We are also told that if we do not want to receive 8 hours pay we need to take a personal day (no pay). This is pursuant to a decision at the National Grievance Hearing March 30, 3004. Signed by Ken Bryant.
It's 3004 already? Holy cow, that was a long nap!!

Now your just bragging Homesick. I suppose you have “big hands” and “big feet” as well.
Thanks, I have "big" everything. The last decade or two I have been focusing on my "big belly". I appear to have taken it from "big" to "HUGE". Ya me, I'm an overachiever on my "big belly". True fact.

OH, and in keeping with this thread topic, If I get Covid I plan on taking several personal days and turning in a doctors excuse for having Covid. Take that ABF management! (I would stick my tongue out but that would be immature).

Last edited: