XPO | Culture Matters

Just wondering do any barns still have any cookouts or any safety rewards? Our barn hasn't had any little perks like that since XPO took over.
Yes, they are still doing safety celebrations. And, for each time your terminal passes its goal, their budget for the celebration increases.

Mr. Leathers , the director of safety was recently let go.
I watched the safety dept go out the door at every carrier I ever worked for. They were the first on the chopping block at cost reduction time.
If memory serves me correct YRC just canned a bunch of safety kiddies.

My experience is they are let go because they are doing their job to well, therefore costing them way to much money. That sound familar to anyone?

Wow! I knew Leathers way back when. He was by the books and a good guy. Loss to XPO. Not right now, but in time he will thank them for letting him go. He will be a great asset to someone else and he will wonder why he did'nt leave on his own.

A lot of people put up with a lot because they are afraid to speak up and step out of their comfort zone/the unknown. I wish him all the best.

Wow! I knew Leathers way back when. He was by the books and a good guy. Loss to XPO. Not right now, but in time he will thank them for letting him go. He will be a great asset to someone else and he will wonder why he did'nt leave on his own.

A lot of people put up with a lot because they are afraid to speak up and step out of their comfort zone/the unknown. I wish him all the best.

Exactly this. But we know things are changing and are going to continue to change.

If the no-compete-clause is triggered when you quit , maybe you get out of it by being fired?

I hope that he doesn't come to my company, I met him on a couple of occasions, never had any problems with him but not impressed by him. In my opinion, all of the Old CON-WAY management needs to go. If they were foolish enough to follow Dougie's agenda , they are no different.

No to insult anyone but we need to get real at this point and step back and look a the big picture. We do not have a healthy culture because there is none at the top and even if there was its not being communicated. This is not 1995 anymore.

No to insult anyone but we need to get real at this point and step back and look a the big picture. We do not have a healthy culture because there is none at the top and even if there was its not being communicated. This is not 1995 anymore.
I did and from what I see we made more profit in 2016 then we did in 2015 and we moved less freight to do it.

My experience is they are let go because they are doing their job to well, therefore costing them way to much money.

I don't think that was the case here. We have the participation trophy of safety policies, and we've moved further and further from individual accountability for drivers. I remember one of the first things he did was claim he was going to cut accidents and injuries in half within a year. Anyone who says that knows nothing about fleet safety or the history of our safety culture.

Let's spin the wheel and see who takes his place, I guess.

Maybe you knew another Michael Leathers. The one I know is a d!¢£. That may not be the most educated response, but I've had bad experiences with him.
I watched the safety dept go out the door at every carrier I ever worked for. They were the first on the chopping block at cost reduction time.
If memory serves me correct YRC just canned a bunch of safety kiddies.
He was not a career safety guy. He stayed in one department til he pissed enough people off to move to the next. He was a very smooth operator though, hard to pin him down on anything.

I don't think that was the case here. We have the participation trophy of safety policies, and we've moved further and further from individual accountability for drivers. I remember one of the first things he did was claim he was going to cut accidents and injuries in half within a year. Anyone who says that knows nothing about fleet safety or the history of our safety culture.

Let's spin the wheel and see who takes his place, I guess.

I forgot all about that. We all just laughed. And the reality is that those numbers probably didn't change at all. And they are the most expensive of all costs to the company. Accidents and injuries must be reduced. Fatigue and carelessness need to be combated. I wonder what the wonder stud will whip up to make the improvements he demands in those areas. One thing about Jacobs, you'll make it happen or he will replace you with someone that will make it happen.