SAIA | Decision making day

WOW, i never had an assigned tractor in 35 yrs, this sounds like a deal if we can get around this 15% thing.
How about a chrome stack?
How about a CB, with 2 antennas so I can chat with all my "Good Buddies"?,
WHAT?????? I've always had an assigned tractor throughout my 30+ years of driving. Although someone else always drove it, banged it up and trashed it out while I got the blame.

Let me tell you friend, won't be speaking to many good buddies in this industry unless you speak the south of the border language.

Guess you're right, "language barrier" could be the difference between the "good buddy" and the "real good buddy"

We had pooled equipment when I started in 55, still did in 1990, they traded every 3 or 4 yrs.

WOW, i never had an assigned tractor in 35 yrs, this sounds like a deal if we can get around this 15% thing.

Don't forget about the led lights and the extended shift lever with the six shooter on top.

Don't forget about the led lights and the extended shift lever with the six shooter on top.

Not sure Billy will go for all of this, he drives a hard bargain, don't won't to push my luck, I am afraid to ask about
a uniform.

These are bare bones tractors. No extras will be added as it may collect grass clippings on the engine vents causing the tractor to overheat.
But Billy out here in the midwest area we need a hepa filter and a weekly time to go thru the streakin beacon to clean out the decks and keep the wheels shiny

And the corporate mentality of ANY business, trucking or not, is following this same path. The gap between drivers and management is growing everyday, and that is with every company. The gap between customers and corporate management, of ALL companies, is growing by leaps and bounds....DAILY!!
Not where I work.....

I find it funny that they come up with this clever play on words in regards to camera infractions. The only decision in many cases is does the driver stay or quit. When you put someone on notice that the next time your fired it makes the decision pretty easy.
Well, let's try and get this thread back on topic. Most of us know how DriveCam works. After you trigger an event you get a few seconds of video downloaded that recorded those seconds before the event, but it's what happened before those few seconds that were captured that can make a big difference. You just can't get the whole picture with those few seconds. You need the big picture. I suggest everyone get your own personal dash cam to cover your ass. They aren't very expensive and well worth the money. Just some food for thought guys. Carry on.

Last edited:
Well, let's try and get this thread back on topic. Most of us know how DriveCam works. After you trigger an event you get a few seconds of video downloaded that recorded those seconds before the event, but it's what happened before those few seconds that were captured that can make a big difference. You just can't get the whole picture with those few seconds. You need the big picture. I suggest everyone get your own personal dash cam to cover your ass. They aren't very expensive and well worth the money. Just some food for thought guys. Carry on.

When's the big post coming out on the full story you been promising so we can quit checking the saia board?

VERY GOOD ADVICE.

Do ya know what a good buddy really is?

I would be careful about installing your own dash cam to CYA. The company could view that as against company policy (installing any equipment that is not factory standard, blah blah) plus it is illegal to have anything in the driver's view on the dash. I understand the rationale, just may not be realistic. Even if you installed your own underneath the existing Saia equipment, it's hard to believe that they would allow that data to be harvested and used against them. After all, it's their equipment that they don't want an "unqualified" person making changes to. Boiled down and simply put, if they want to get rid of you, they will make it happen. The longer you are there, the bigger the file is against you. Law of averages catches up at some point...

I would be careful about installing your own dash cam to CYA. The company could view that as against company policy (installing any equipment that is not factory standard, blah blah) plus it is illegal to have anything in the driver's view on the dash. I understand the rationale, just may not be realistic. Even if you installed your own underneath the existing Saia equipment, it's hard to believe that they would allow that data to be harvested and used against them. After all, it's their equipment that they don't want an "unqualified" person making changes to. Boiled down and simply put, if they want to get rid of you, they will make it happen. The longer you are there, the bigger the file is against you. Law of averages catches up at some point...
Agreed. I would have checked into it before I installed one but I've seen them in some company trucks.