Yellow | Defective 5th wheels on yellow dollies

Here we go again! In a very short amount of time (last 2 weeks) I have heard of many trailers coming uncoupled from these worn out, lack of maintenance fifth wheels again.
Management is not allowing the garage to do the proper maintenance & here we are again.

It's winter Ice, Snow and salt play a big part i this, ice and snow can hole the U lock from locking, salt dries out the lube and causes rust.
Saw one yesterday someone hung the safety chain on the release handle and bent the rod, smarten up guys you are the ones that have use these things why take the chance of bending the rod so it won't go in far enough to lock?

The shop manager in SLC/881 has been forging documents saying things like this have been repaired. Does you shop manager do the same ?
In a effort to get to his numbers Mike M does what it takes to make him look good.
The hearing on this is the 6th of February in San Diego.

I am surprised that not 1 "truck driver" noticed that the primary reason for the structural failure of this relatively new 53 foot trailer is that tamdems are slid WAY past what is legal under ANY states bridge law!!!
There is no way a manufacture would produce a slider capable of this. don"t matter if it was legal for the road or not. it would be a design defect that would open them up to all sorts of lawsuits.

ANY trailer will fail if the weight exceeds the manufacturers specs for weight distribution. This is a Wabash unit, and the max rating for it is 60,000 loaded across the entire floor, all 53 feet of it. If you take 25,000 and concentrate it in 10-12 feet, you will exceed the fracture limit and the unit will collapse. The "rule of thumb" that was used at REX years back was 800 to 1000 pounds per foot of floor.

When i had my own truck, I hauled one coil of steel (45,000 lbs) directly in the middle of my flatbed trailer. I had bought the trailer broken in half from such practice. We got it home, rebuilt it, and fishplated the heavy frame rails. It worked. YRC trailers don't have that kind of framework for hauling a coil of steel though- even though the dock would load it if it came thru!!!!!!

I refused 2 move a dolly that had 2 and a half inches of slack on the adjuster nut on a yellow dolly. tolerance is an eighth inch btw. they came & fixed it though.

There is no way a manufacture would produce a slider capable of this. don"t matter if it was legal for the road or not. it would be a design defect that would open them up to all sorts of lawsuits.
You are correct. I still think the position of the tandems exacerbated the situation. Moving trailer tandems beyond legal bridge limits is IMO at best unsafe.

I refused 2 move a dolly that had 2 and a half inches of slack on the adjuster nut on a yellow dolly. tolerance is an eighth inch btw. they came & fixed it though.
Had a dolly last night that had about 1 inch sticking out on the adjuster rod nut. Took it to the garage & mechanic said it was okay to drive. Showed him that the fork was not past the jaws to hold it closed & he said it didn't matter, that their was no way it would come unhooked. I said I was not going to pull that dolly as long as the nut was not flush against the 5th wheel. He took a big hammer & it took 4 hard hits to get it flush. He said "There you go" & I said "you got to be sh## me"

Well not exactly the right way to do it, but it would have lock it, did you have to unhook it by chance?
If so did the rod pull out hard or easy?

A 241 driver dropped a set coming outta 261 Tuesday morning, it came of the truck (765056). I was next to the driver when he hooked & he jerked the hell outta the truck (almost brought front wheels off ground). He dropped the trailer 2 miles later! The truck & unit were brought back to 261 & driver fired & sent to motel. Next day city driver used same truck, dropped 2 trailers in yard on the frame of tractor, 1 uncoupled in front of shop supervisor. Mechanic said 5th wheel was @ the #4 adjustment setting & wore out & 5th wheel had to be rebuilt. Told steward @ 241 & he told Mr. Brown & was still labeled as driver error. These Holland 5th wheels are not designed to go beyond the #3 adjustment. They are worn out & need to be rebuilt, but company doesn't wanna admit it. I know of 4 units coming uncoupled & all 5th wheels were @ the #4 adjustment setting. The unit will stay strung as long as the unit is pulling, BUT when unit is stopped, (I.E... stop light,stopping to get toll ticket, throw away garbage, etc...) & pressure is off jaws, unit can come uncoupled. I was told this by mechanics & the company is aware of it, but the company still blames driver. This company can fire every driver, but until this problem is addressed, uncoupling will continue. I have told all my friends & family, do not stay around our trucks, this a problem. $250 to rebuild 5th wheel & how many millions when 1 comes unhooked someone gets killed or injured. When I stop, for any reason, I pull away slowly to make sure the trailers come with me, but I fear its only a matter of time.

Last I saw III was the limit the instructions were not to adjust past III. In fact every one I've seen adjusted to IV visually was not fully latched when looked at from the back you can the arm hasn't swung fully around the pin and almost all you have to hit the pin very hard to get it to partially latch.

Well not exactly the right way to do it, but it would have lock it, did you have to unhook it by chance?
If so did the rod pull out hard or easy?

No - stopped on a ramp to wet a tire & looked at it again. Starting to loosen back out a little ( bout a quarter of an inch off the plate ) Luckey hammer knocked it back in again.
Looked at it twice more during trip after that & it was ok but was puckered up all trip waiting for the bad to happen.

The company is not going to do the "RIGHT" thing until 1 - someone dies in one of these disconnects or 2 - enough people contact P.A.T.T. C.R.A.S.H. DOT, OSHA, MOTHER'S AGAINST TIRED TRUCKERS, local news, & any other agencies that will listen at all.
I know it's going to cost alot of money to fix these issues but GEEZ, it's not like a radiator sprung a leak. We are talking about a trailer (or trailers) coming unhooked from the tractor! I can't speak for everyone else but this scares the crap out of me.

A 241 driver dropped a set coming outta 261 Tuesday morning, it came of the truck (765056). I was next to the driver when he hooked & he jerked the hell outta the truck (almost brought front wheels off ground). He dropped the trailer 2 miles later! The truck & unit were brought back to 261 & driver fired & sent to motel. Next day city driver used same truck, dropped 2 trailers in yard on the frame of tractor, 1 uncoupled in front of shop supervisor. Mechanic said 5th wheel was @ the #4 adjustment setting & wore out & 5th wheel had to be rebuilt. Told steward @ 241 & he told Mr. Brown & was still labeled as driver error. These Holland 5th wheels are not designed to go beyond the #3 adjustment. They are worn out & need to be rebuilt, but company doesn't wanna admit it. I know of 4 units coming uncoupled & all 5th wheels were @ the #4 adjustment setting. The unit will stay strung as long as the unit is pulling, BUT when unit is stopped, (I.E... stop light,stopping to get toll ticket, throw away garbage, etc...) & pressure is off jaws, unit can come uncoupled. I was told this by mechanics & the company is aware of it, but the company still blames driver. This company can fire every driver, but until this problem is addressed, uncoupling will continue. I have told all my friends & family, do not stay around our trucks, this a problem. $250 to rebuild 5th wheel & how many millions when 1 comes unhooked someone gets killed or injured. When I stop, for any reason, I pull away slowly to make sure the trailers come with me, but I fear its only a matter of time.

The company is not going to do the "RIGHT" thing until 1 - someone dies in one of these disconnects or 2 - enough people contact P.A.T.T. C.R.A.S.H. DOT, OSHA, MOTHER'S AGAINST TIRED TRUCKERS, local news, & any other agencies that will listen at all.
I know it's going to cost alot of money to fix these issues but GEEZ, it's not like a radiator sprung a leak. We are talking about a trailer (or trailers) coming unhooked from the tractor! I can't speak for everyone else but this scares the crap out of me.

How many drivers actually get underneath and visually check the throat of the fifth wheel to see if the jaws are properly locked around the trailer kingpin?

PS - I'll bet I know the answer!

Triplex said:
How many drivers actually get underneath and visually check the throat of the fifth wheel to see if the jaws are properly locked around the trailer kingpin?

PS - I'll bet I know the answer!

I do!! No b.s. This is a great thread. Good job guys and gals.

Question. Since most drivers have cell phones and texting, how about taking a picture of the jaws before leaving, and texting it to yourself or someone so there is a record of it timestamped?

Question. Since most drivers have cell phones and texting, how about taking a picture of the jaws before leaving, and texting it to yourself or someone so there is a record of it timestamped?

Bend down and duck walk a few steps to get underneath? Are you kidding? :452: :hysterical: