Yellow | Defective 5th wheels on yellow dollies

Question. Since most drivers have cell phones and texting, how about taking a picture of the jaws before leaving, and texting it to yourself or someone so there is a record of it timestamped?

Problem is about half of the drivers I know can't tell if it's latched or not the last guy that told me it was when he looked either didn't stretch the set out or thought the 3/8" gap between the jaws(dolly) was suppose to be there............the picture may turn out to be evidence against you :regretful:

Problem is about half of the drivers I know can't tell if it's latched or not the last guy that told me it was when he looked either didn't stretch the set out or thought the 3/8" gap between the jaws(dolly) was suppose to be there............the picture may turn out to be evidence against you :regretful:

Well there ya go wrench...pull out the illustrated pics and educate us dumb OL Truckers.

A 241 driver dropped a set coming outta 261 Tuesday morning, it came of the truck (765056). I was next to the driver when he hooked & he jerked the hell outta the truck (almost brought front wheels off ground). He dropped the trailer 2 miles later! The truck & unit were brought back to 261 & driver fired & sent to motel. Next day city driver used same truck, dropped 2 trailers in yard on the frame of tractor, 1 uncoupled in front of shop supervisor. Mechanic said 5th wheel was @ the #4 adjustment setting & wore out & 5th wheel had to be rebuilt. Told steward @ 241 & he told Mr. Brown & was still labeled as driver error. These Holland 5th wheels are not designed to go beyond the #3 adjustment. They are worn out & need to be rebuilt, but company doesn't wanna admit it. I know of 4 units coming uncoupled & all 5th wheels were @ the #4 adjustment setting. The unit will stay strung as long as the unit is pulling, BUT when unit is stopped, (I.E... stop light,stopping to get toll ticket, throw away garbage, etc...) & pressure is off jaws, unit can come uncoupled. I was told this by mechanics & the company is aware of it, but the company still blames driver. This company can fire every driver, but until this problem is addressed, uncoupling will continue. I have told all my friends & family, do not stay around our trucks, this a problem. $250 to rebuild 5th wheel & how many millions when 1 comes unhooked someone gets killed or injured. When I stop, for any reason, I pull away slowly to make sure the trailers come with me, but I fear its only a matter of time.

could you explain the number on the adjustment? How can you tell what adjustment number it is set on? thanks.

The Simplex/ASF/Holland 5th wheel has a eccentric adjusting bolt that the jaw pivots on, you would have to clean the grease off the top of the 5th wheel to be able to see the roman numerals and indicator line on the bolt.

But if you cleaned the grease off the fifth wheels you would fix most problems we have, but I guess that would be above my paygrade.

Yes and no, the grease when cold makes them harder to hook, but also makes it easier to steer going down the road..................
Over greasing does more harm then good.

he's right guys over greasing is not good, the cold is not kind either. you got to do some cleaning to see the numbers. Should be caught on the pmd

Yes and no, the grease when cold makes them harder to hook, but also makes it easier to steer going down the road..................
Over greasing does more harm then good.

Yes, over lubricating causes problems in lots of other ways too! :censored2:

Easy for you short people to say. :order:
Yeah, It must suck to be tall. Just to tell my story about king pin and jaws on tractor/trailer. I had a trailer drop and drums of anti-freeze broke open. Shop Manager said it was not my fault. I still got written up after labor guy got involved, won my case even though the company erased computer entries on PM(they wanted me bad). But that is another story. The reason why it happened was the king pin was new. The adjustment was wrongly done by mechanic at PM(numerous mechanics stated that, not my opinion) on tractor. Every time the tractor was hooked to a older trailer, it latched tight. Every time it was hooked to a new trailer, it would release. Won my case and I always check with flash light. Dropping a trailer is not my idea of a good day, whether its my fault or not.

Yeah, It must suck to be tall. Just to tell my story about king pin and jaws on tractor/trailer. I had a trailer drop and drums of anti-freeze broke open. Shop Manager said it was not my fault. I still got written up after labor guy got involved, won my case even though the company erased computer entries on PM(they wanted me bad). But that is another story. The reason why it happened was the king pin was new. The adjustment was wrongly done by mechanic at PM(numerous mechanics stated that, not my opinion) on tractor. Every time the tractor was hooked to a older trailer, it latched tight. Every time it was hooked to a new trailer, it would release. Won my case and I always check with flash light. Dropping a trailer is not my idea of a good day, whether its my fault or not.
:LMAO: That and old Motocross knees with 30 more pounds than optimum around the waist. And its like Wrench said....even when I got under there, (it was funny to watch) it all looked like Greek to me. Trust me man, I cranked dollys a few times. :27:

:LMAO: That and old Motocross knees with 30 more pounds than optimum around the waist. And its like Wrench said....even when I got under there, (it was funny to watch) it all looked like Greek to me. Trust me man, I cranked dollys a few times. :27:

Can you still ride a quad? They made them for old motocross guys. You know, so you can sit down sometimes.

A mechanic told me one issue they have are the improper use of grease bags. The bags are not supposed to be used near the jaw area, on the plate. It seems the plastic can potentially work its way into the jaw mechanism and prevent proper operation.

No just the instructions on placing the bags, bottom line is you still have to look at the jaws if their are bags stuck in the mechanisms the jaws will not be fully closed(touching) and a the rod will not be seated(Dolly), on the tractors the jaw will not be fully swung around. I pulled a bag out of a tandem axle 5th wheel the other day, as far as I know they were not to be used on power units.....................