ABF | Did ABF buy USF?

needless to say, I agree with most of your comments on your last post. I belive that Carolina would have gone down and very well almost took ABF down within 1 day of going out of business.
I am part of the western region, so I wasn't really affected by the endtailing/dovetailing. It was my understanding that the end tail was part of the deal, but then the Teamsters backed off (I won't debate that).
You make a lot of good points, but the difference between you and me seem to be the Union mentality. I realize the company pays my wages, and we have to do all things possible to help the company deal with the non-union element. I like your comment about everyone having bad apples, you really can't lump all the people in one category.
So, BROTHER, we do have a lot in common. BUT, I am a company man first, Teamster second.

as far as the union mentality difference of opinion consider this
the seniority application was never part of the "deal"
it was always up to the COO committee from the get go
in fact while the deal was in progress mr young ark best ceo & i believe it was stubblefield the abf president had together petitioned ron carey for an exception to the seniority application as they were well aware the type of impact it was going to have on abf employees, especially in the east & south this was well documented in transport topics
i myself spoke to mr carey about this subject at a labor day parade in nyc
with this knowledge they still proceeded with the deal and outright lied to their employees and blamed the negative impact on the IBT
consequently if i was you, i would reconsider that company first position

in the northeast & south, carolina operated there for many years before abf serviced those areas
for example in florida it was especially devastating
carolina was there "forever" & abf was the new kid on the block, so we are talking about almost total displacement
in the northeast it was fairly even with only the bottom guys (with less than 3-4 yrs seniority) from either side getting the pink slip
in the west there was no impact as carolina did not service those areas directly
we interlined with our non union sister carrier GI trucking
GI by the way because of the merger lost any carolina westbound freight formed a seamless partnership with estes before the ink dried on the "consolodation"
this was due to the contractual conflict of a "double breasting" situation if the interline agreement continued
GI serviced almost identical areas abf already covered
nice little tidbit; mr young or possibly a family member (not entirely sure) was one of the controlling board members of estees at the time and may still be

arkbest shortly thereafter recouped a good portion of the 133 mil spent on the deal
sold cardinal freight carriers
sold some carolina terminals including the break bulk in PA
sold GI trucking
liquidated excess office & vehicle equipment
added aditional service points & retained the good freight
so in essence it was a good business deal for the company

i do not know if after the deal abf came within 1 day of going out of business though
sure it was a rough several months when the intergration began
most of those problems (losses) were attributable to the management's methods of operation combining which, explaining it would make this post twice as long
i appologize for going off topic

Carolina/Worldway

Steve you are well informed on the Carolina acquisition. I don't know how close ABF came to closing the doors but I do know some of the management in Ft. Smith had long faces & had their resumes updated. I don't know of anybody that would hold up their hand & say the purchase was their idea. One of the largest unplanned expenses was Carolina"s management contracts that evidently went unnoticed or at least underestimated before the purchase. I do know that management cried about having to retain a few mechanics in North Carolina that they claimed there was no work for. That hardly compared to the millions they paid Carolina management. That is one reason that ABF took a write off $800,000 4th qtr. 2008 for a study of who or whatever they are considering acquiring. They don't want any surprises this time on liabilities.
ABF already serviced every state before the acquisition & had terminals there for several years so it didn't make sense to me to purchase Worldway. ABF had acquired enough companies over the years to service every area in the U.S.
Carolina signed a "me too" during the 94 strike because they knew that they couldn't weather an extended strike. Several smaller lines closed because of the strike, Churchill in Chilocothee Mo. was one that couldn't open back up. Ken Churchill told Carey that he couldn't open the doors if he was struck. Northwest Freight, later named Nationsway also closed as a result of the strike.That is one reason that I think the 94 strike was a huge blunder on the part of the IBT & the companies too. We would have been better off to sign a short contract & keep on working till everything stabilized.
I don't harbor any ill feelings toward Carolina employees for working during the strike because that is what the IBT said to do.
ABF had acquired several companies before the Worldway acquisiton (Youngblood, Navajo & East Texas Motor Freight so they knew that this would be a seniority dovetail situation before they signed. They did petition the IBT for an exception but I think that they knew the outcome of the ruling beforehand.