Yellow | Do A Proper Pre-Trip

So what about the 99 through 04 VN's with the same valve set up?

No shop is going to go through that dis-assembly and inspection procedure by the time you paid the labor and bough a maintenance kit to get the right o-rings to reassemble it you would be past the cost of new valve.

Last edited:
Correct, its a throw away part.(they do make a rebuild kit) Always error, on the side of safety. The manufactures all pretty much state, very clearly, what preventive maintenance MUST be done to keep safe. It seams that some just prefer that us drivers run on "luck" instead. Not to many,,,, that are not going to drive THE unit,,,, seem to give a rats but, about the safety of that unit, or our driver, as it goes out the gate. again pages 2 & 3 of the recall notice, please, include the procedure in your pre-hook check. do this, and YOU will understand WHY .

I agree but apparently there was a W/Comp issue with pulling pins....................
I never use that switch, I use my arm. I new it was going to be a problem when those 855's started coming in.
The part that disturbs me, is, The IBT is allowing them (co.) to discipline, take miles away and charge us with accidents, knowing full well it's the Company's problem. It's :horseshit:

So what about the 99 through 04 VN's with the same valve set up?

No shop is going to go through that dis-assembly and inspection procedure by the time you paid the labor and bough a maintenance kit to get the right o-rings to reassemble it you would be past the cost of new valve.
personally, I never had "Touch Lock 5th release" prior to 2005

personally, I never had "Touch Lock 5th release" prior to 2005

There in the retired L/H city units, half the barn is afraid to touch them, some do the test procedure wrong and push the switch after setting the brakes..........................and then there's the guy who moves the Jiff switch to 3 axle and insists that's correct since he only has 1 pup and there's 3 axles............................................

valve improperly mounted at Mfg., never corrected per recall (2009), disconnects when "parking" brakes (red button), are released. Also have video, but can't figure out how to attach it. ;)

You've brought out excellent safety concerns in your posts, but I'd like to correct something you've said. The "red" knob is NOT the parking brake. It's the trailer air supply valve. The parking brake is the yellow knob.

You've brought out excellent safety concerns in your posts, but I'd like to correct something you've said. The "red" knob is NOT the parking brake. It's the trailer air supply valve. The parking brake is the yellow knob.
You are correct. My bad!

T, they have plenty of legal tread, just a very poor design. My guess is they are for extended life, not water disbursement. I'm back to work tonight, I'll see if I can snap a few pics. and send them to my wife to up load.
Those tires were to go on tandem axle tractors only as the other style the edge knobs would get torn off dragging around corners.

Those tires were to go on tandem axle tractors only as the other style the edge knobs would get torn off dragging around corners.
That might have been the plan at first, but they wound up on the single axles. I did have #765067 this week and the first drive had them but the rear drive was the better luggers.
The racks at G-67 outside the garage are marked single and tandem, with the two different styles.

I never use that switch, I use my arm. I new it was going to be a problem when those 855's started coming in.
The part that disturbs me, is, The IBT is allowing them (co.) to discipline, take miles away and charge us with accidents, knowing full well it's the Company's problem. It's :horseshit:
Al, the point I'm trying to make, is that if this "situation", has not, and is not serviced properly, IT DOES NOT MATTER if you use the "Touch Lock 5th wheel release" , failure can occur at ANY time. The ONLY sure way to know that failure CANNOT happen, is to render system inoperable! Thus Pex disconnect at release cylinder(threefingerprocedure) .

That might have been the plan at first, but they wound up on the single axles. I did have #765067 this week and the first drive had them but the rear drive was the better luggers.
The racks at G-67 outside the garage are marked single and tandem, with the two different styles.
Reference Post #98

Al, the point I'm trying to make, is that if this "situation", has not, and is not serviced properly, IT DOES NOT MATTER if you use the "Touch Lock 5th wheel release" , failure can occur at ANY time. The ONLY sure way to know that failure CANNOT happen, is to render system inoperable! Thus Pex disconnect at release cylinder(threefingerprocedure) .
Yes, correct, but I feel better by not sending air to that cylinder in my own mind. Many times after I d&h, I push the bar back into the cylinder because it is close to or about to contact the release handle.

The entire deal is flawed, we didn't need them. Carry a hook if you have short arms. There isn't any system more important to the safe operation of a Tractor Trailer combination than the device that holds them both together, YRCF has ruined even that.

ePejlht.jpg