FedEx Freight | Don't Be Shy ... Tell Us Your Praise or Complaints of your job Part 2

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
What is good, what is bad or getting worse.

Stay on topic on this thread please

The huge extra board is ridiculous. We have over 100 City drivers, and counting. Only the first 64 have start times.

In and of itself, the JOB isnt bad. I fully accept the duties that being an ltl driver comes with. Weather, physical labor, toll on the body, customers, ect.

Pay, however, is not keeping pace with inflation, worse yet, we are low paid in our field.

Im going to see this years "raise" then weigh my options if I want to stay here.

Well we're paid ok at my barn $24.28 top. The discrepancy in pay is absurd. Of course I wouldn't turn down more. We have guys an hour away (literally)making one dollar less.

Well we're paid ok at my barn $24.28 top. The discrepancy in pay is absurd. Of course I wouldn't turn down more. We have guys an hour away (literally)making one dollar less.

We aren't even making $23.00 in South Bend,but that weasel regional manager will tell us that SBN has always been a profitable terminal. Of course that right after he tells us about all the doom and gloom. He isn't a very good b.s.'er.

I would like to beech about our late departures,shops not keeping parts for our equipment,our junk equipment,how slow the newer kw s are taking off ,and how they have cut the power down on them,overweight trailers (especially on monday mornings)and all these rules about how to get out of our trucks,shutting the trucks off while hooking or un hooking,the truck shortage we have.

I could right paragraph after paragraph..... But Why? It's a very simple process that has turned into Rocket science!! For NO REASON!! Old Dominion Gets it..... Just read there QTR after QTR surging earnings... What do we do Blame our workforce!!! Management ( And I don't mean local) HRO makes hideous after hideous decisions and the outcomes are swept under the rug..... Fred you must be blind!!! The drivers here want to do good things but the crap that is shoved down our throats got really old recently.... What needs to be done.... all mid level management positions need to be GONE!!!!! Some of our best people are in positions that do our centers NO GOOD.... Center managers to report to VP of OPS in HRO and he reports to President... As our local center managers hands are tied NOTHING GETS ACCOMPLISHED.... Take advice from your work force!!! Thousands of us have been doing this for years.... No Recently graduated College Student Gets LTL without some years of experience....And then only few from that point actually GET IT!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH!! Whats the point ...............Venting

Central Dispatch is one of my pet peeves. The time waiting for someone to pick up....the denial of pulling one & a jiff(dolly) through bad weather because the trailer pool count is more important than your safety. The games they play when setting runs up for a barn....like the CGT drivers who did the meet & turns with KCY a couple of yrs ago in that bad snow storm. KCY cancelled their PM runs long b4 those CGT drivers even left the gate b4 the storm touched their neck of the woods. So why did Central & CGT's dispatch still send the CGT drivers out knowing KCY's operation was cancelled!? See I don't like games like this.....just to get u out the gate for numbers. Very childish & un-professional. Just a damn clown show around here!...like really! The weird part about this is they pull this stunt all the time on a meet & turn. That's why if you bid a M&T always exchange #'s with your meet driver......It helps out a ton.

You can't drive while on hold with Central because your brick is messed up, or Central screwed up, but yet at the same time,
"we don't pay phone delay" but, there is a class action lawsuit in the works regarding all the items that delay you every day that they won't pay you for.

Shareholders and Investors I get told is all they care about.. I would agree to a point... 1ST shareholders who make millions don't spend money foolishly just to spend it. They would rather have new Yachts and planes... the last 3 years THE BIG BOYS have approved 800 million in infrastructure and equipment for just FREIGHT...I Blame the size and difficulty it takes to run such a large LTL. When we were AF, Watkins and Viking separately our three different companies could pick and choose who ever they wanted to work here.. Now based on our size it's a matter of just putting bodies in positions.. Take management for example: There is no friggin way Fred can keep track of all his different levels of management. He hires based on resume.... Now that Freight doesn't pay generously to Red shirts ( we get all types ) ! How many promotions to management pan out when you hire NO EXPERIENCE.....................................10% maybe!? And Road dispatch............... since intermec they have downsized daytime dispatch to 4 for 1500 drivers!! You do the math... Now back to all three companies and how all 3 drastically affect our daily OPS! AF, Watkins and Viking.... 3 different minds. We all believe what and where we started at. We base our daily lives at work based on how and where we started. We all believe differently on how it should operate. No fault to any of us.. Truck specs and equipment , dispatching, time off procedures in general. Equipment doesn't match up. It's a BIG ARSE MESS!

Well for me, it wa not the actual job. Yes I came to FXF to be a driver several years ago and for the first three years it was great. Then the merger and things went to crap up in the Pac NW. I got tired of GATE TIME GATE TIME , not given the time to do proper pretrips, then the dispatch system where older guys would Bump Up" for miles then have that run cut 30 minutes later and were told stay home or take our BIG 16 mile run to Seattle (SEA)and work the dock for a few hours and then back home while that SEA drivers takes your 300 mile HUB run to Portland ( POR). Then you were told you could not go back on your run eventhough there was enough time (1.25Hrs) til show time because our local dispatcher used the excuse the board is set and can't be changed" crap. BS. Or the fact that the POR hub would tell all drivers Need everyone the dock" then let the drivers from EVT sit in their truck and pay them Delay pay because they didn't want them to affect the dock numbers and' the would allow the Hermiston (HMS) drivers to do he same or would send the first 2 home and allow the rest to collect delay. Bad enough that was going on but they would bring in part time dock to fill the vavancies on the dock so Fred was paying what $40.00/hr for dock help? it just go t to be to much especially when the guys working the dock had to load the EVT and HMS drivers trailers!! mind you they are all under the 401 mile cut off for "optional" dock work. ITS MANDITORY!!! but who cares. Too much fatorvism discrimination twords certain service centers and new rules. Good luck, gonna need it

Our biggest problem is our CEO Bill Lowe. He came from express and is trying to run FXF like express. Won't work. Its apples and Oranges. All these numbers they come up with like AM time stops per hour and so on just won't work. Express doesn't have to hand unload thousands of pounds by hand at any one stop. ( I Do ) my route is 90% hand freight and a lot of my P/Us are bonded ware houses your not gettin in and out of those in 10 minutes.They have taken something that is basically very simple and turned it in to a night mare.

Just hoping that some day someone important will have an epiphany and realize that there is something other than Fred's hallowed hub and spoke that just might be a lot more productive.

Come on ST, let's hear your "All hail Fred the innovator"

Just hoping that some day someone important will have an epiphany and realize that there is something other than Fred's hallowed hub and spoke that just might be a lot more productive.

Come on ST, let's hear your "All hail Fred the innovator"

RC, kind of early for you to be hitting the bottle, isn't it?