SAIA | DriveCam ... By Lytx

Now your just fear mongering. He had to have been coached multiple times for the same offense for that to even be considered. And I still don't believe you. You have no credibility.
These companies trust drivers in a quarter million dollar piece of equipment while at the same time telling them they are not capable enough to make proffesional decisions to protect themselves, the equipment and the public without there hand being held.
When they tell you that you must wear a band on your wrist while at work, that detects alcohol and drugs in your system, what will be your outtake on that? Will you be supportive of constant physical monitoring by your company, don't think it's not around the corner my friend.

These companies trust drivers in a quarter million dollar piece of equipment while at the same time telling them they are not capable enough to make proffesional decisions to protect themselves, the equipment and the public without there hand being held.
When they tell you that you must wear a band on your wrist while at work, that detects alcohol and drugs in your system, what will be your outtake on that? Will you be supportive of constant physical monitoring by your company, don't think it's not around the corner my friend.

95M5GwK.jpg

Your buying into the fear mongering. It's not that bad. I hate to see you go but that's your decision.

I hate to see myself go too, but the only thing this company has going for it anymore is the good insurance and that is not even worth it to me anymore. I've already been coached for a beverage in my hand and a couple other stupid "infractions" and was told that multiple occurrences will result in more coaching, leading up to retraining and if necessary, termination. We also happen to have another 30-40 linehaulers here in CGO that have been coached multiple times for the same ridiculous garbage. Luckily I have not had to drive a camera truck many times but now CGO has pretty much got all of them converted over and the older ones are getting harder to find because everybody takes them first to avoid the cameras now.

We've already had 3 quit that I know of in the last couple weeks and there are a good dozen or more putting in applications, including myself. No, I'm not buying into ANYTHING because I have experienced it first hand. I sincerely hope the idiots learn their lesson quick, but they seem to be steadfast in their decision to run off all the good drivers in the name of safety. I guess I could just stay around and play the game of letting them coach me multiple times, but I would rather get my foot in the door at another company before all the other Saia drivers in the Chicagoland area beat me to it.

CGO came close to a union vote 2 years ago and it sure seems like one is gearing up to happen again. Maybe that will be enough to get the attention of the powers that be.

I hate to see myself go too, but the only thing this company has going for it anymore is the good insurance and that is not even worth it to me anymore. I've already been coached for a beverage in my hand and a couple other stupid "infractions" and was told that multiple occurrences will result in more coaching, leading up to retraining and if necessary, termination. We also happen to have another 30-40 linehaulers here in CGO that have been coached multiple times for the same ridiculous garbage. Luckily I have not had to drive a camera truck many times but now CGO has pretty much got all of them converted over and the older ones are getting harder to find because everybody takes them first to avoid the cameras now.

We've already had 3 quit that I know of in the last couple weeks and there are a good dozen or more putting in applications, including myself. No, I'm not buying into ANYTHING because I have experienced it first hand. I sincerely hope the idiots learn their lesson quick, but they seem to be steadfast in their decision to run off all the good drivers in the name of safety. I guess I could just stay around and play the game of letting them coach me multiple times, but I would rather get my foot in the door at another company before all the other Saia drivers in the Chicagoland area beat me to it.

CGO came close to a union vote 2 years ago and it sure seems like one is gearing up to happen again. Maybe that will be enough to get the attention of the powers that be.
Regardless of what trainwreck says, i honestly do hold the key to manipulating the drivecam, the company never has any idea when it takes place, therefore they can never know that it has been done, all they will know is that you are driving without creating any incidences for yourself.

I just don't get it. Why some want to cut their nose off to spite their face. In time everyone will have them. Will guys just keep job hopping to run from them. When you drive with them everyday you learn how to work with them. When and when not to do certain things. I really haven't altered a lot of the things I do. Maybe because I follow the Smith System to the tee. I don't have much of a problem with following distance, hard braking, cornering, seatbelts, cell phone usage. The beverage and food issue is an annoyance but I just deal with it. You see I won't give a job up this easy because of that. Are they micromanaging? Perhaps but it's their right to do so just as it's your right to quit. Conway survived with these cameras and so will SAIA. Studies have shown they are worth it from a legal standpoint. SAIA just wouldn't throw money into something that had no upside. They looked at the pros and cons and decided it's worth it. Most just look at me as the company cheerleader and ass kisser and I'm OK with that. I love this job and union free culture. I love being part of the SAIA FAMILY. To wave at my fellow co-workers on the street and at times complain about our company. But that's our right because we work here. But in the end we are family and we watch out for each other. Just like we do with are families at home. I don't always agree with things that go on here. But when I put my uniform on and walk out the door I support my company. Right, wrong or indifferent. It's just a job and not my life but as long as I wear their uniform and take their money I owe them my loyalty. I'm proud to work at SAIA. And if your not then you should probably move on.

Last edited:
The worse part .... it is just beginning. Tempers are going to flare. Drivers are going to be so paranoid about the cameras( and for good reason) they are going to be miserable to live and work with. Almost like the pressure of being a policeman.. just trying to he perfect everyday is enough to drive someone over the edge.
Dont we all know how preachers kids usually turn out, after trying to be perfect in public. It is just the constant presure of the ALLSEEING
Eye in your face. Every minute of every day...
You see what im telling you.
They picked a bad time to roll this out at Saia. A lot of companies will be needing drivers when things start to pick up.....
As i have said before, How big of a sign on bonus will Saia have to throw out to replace the good workers that leave. New drivers with little experience =more problems that they caused themselves..
It is the company cutting of their noses off to spite their face, not the other way around....one thing is for sure.....
Those trucks cant drive themselves
(Yet).

Last edited:
I just don't get it. Why some want to cut their nose off to spite their face. In time everyone will have them. Will guys just keep job hopping to run from them. When you drive with them everyday you learn how to work with them. When and when not to do certain things. I really haven't altered a lot of the things I do. Maybe because I follow the Smith System to the tee. I don't have much of a problem with following distance, hard braking, cornering, seatbelts, cell phone usage. The beverage and food issue is an annoyance but I just deal with it. You see I won't give a job up this easy because of that. Are they micromanaging? Perhaps but it's their right to do so just as it's your right to quit. Conway survived with these cameras and so will SAIA. Studies have shown they are worth it from a legal standpoint. SAIA just wouldn't throw money into something that had no upside. They looked at the pros and cons and decided it's worth it. Most just look at me as the company cheerleader and ass kisser and I'm OK with that. I love this job and union free culture. I love being part of the SAIA FAMILY. To wave at my fellow co-workers on the street and at times complain about our company. But that's our right because we work here. But in the end we are family and we watch out for each other. Just like we do with are families at home. I don't always agree with things that go on here. But when I put my uniform on and walk out the door I support my company. Right, wrong or indifferent. It's just a job and not my life but as long as I wear their uniform and take their money I owe them my loyalty. I'm proud to work at SAIA. And if your not then you should probably move on.
If you happen to have a life crisis, and i pray you don't, but should you do have one, it is then that you will see just how that company views you, You're nothing more than a commodity to them, as long as they feel they can profit off of your service without you risking them loss, its all good, but thats not enough, they will continue putting more on you for there gain while at the same time offering no gain to you, once you can no longer achieve there unlimited expectations, then you become a liability to there margins. The only ones they will truly protect and consider family are the share holders, they will turn there back on you in time of need and replace you so quick that you won't even have time to be stunned, Thats how corporations operate, For the love of money, don't kid yourself with getting caught up in all the family BS they preach during safety meetings and the front they put up each time you show up for work. Read the book, How To Be A Succesful Corporate Manager, It will tell you just how to make an employee feel like family.

If you happen to have a life crisis, and i pray you don't, but should you do have one, it is then that you will see just how that company views you, You're nothing more than a commodity to them, as long as they feel they can profit off of your service without you risking them loss, its all good, but thats not enough, they will continue putting more on you for there gain while at the same time offering no gain to you, once you can no longer achieve there unlimited expectations, then you become a liability to there margins. The only ones they will truly protect and consider family are the share holders, they will turn there back on you in time of need and replace you so quick that you won't even have time to be stunned, Thats how corporations operate, For the love of money, don't kid yourself with getting caught up in all the family BS they preach during safety meetings and the front they put up each time you show up for work. Read the book, How To Be A Succesful Corporate Manager, It will tell you just how to make an employee feel like family.
I know exactly where I stand in the big picture. Your new to truckingboards so you don't know me. I've said it a thousand times. I know exactly where I stand. If I'm fired tomorrow I can at least say I gave my best. Nothing else matters to me as far as my job. I will find another one and move on if I haven't already retired.

The worse part .... it is just beginning. Tempers are going to flare. Drivers are going to be so paranoid about the cameras( and for good reason) they are going to be miserable to live and work with. Almost like the pressure of being a policeman.. just trying to he perfect everyday is enough to drive someone over the edge.
Dont we all know how preachers kids usually turn out, after trying to be perfect in public. It is just the constant presure of the ALLSEEING
Eye in your face. Every minute of every day...
You see what im telling you.
They picked a bad time to roll this out at Saia. A lot of companies will be needing drivers when things start to pick up.....
As i have said before, How big of a sign on bonus will Saia have to throw out to replace the good workers that leave. New drivers with little experience =more problems that they caused themselves..
It is the company cutting of their noses off to spite their face, not the other way around....one thing is for sure.....
Those trucks cant drive themselves
(Yet).

That's a good point, and one I have thought about for a while. They are opening up 4 new terminals and need all the new drivers they can get, and at the same time the beginning of the busy season is only a few weeks away. Add to that the fact that most of these big terminals are already having to pay higher wages and bonuses just to keep and attract drivers. Going to be fun to see what happens around here in the next few weeks.

Corporate views are to weed out old school, as well as those that can't embrace there new views of a communistic policy and bring in new freshly trained drivers that are eager to see the world and mold them into the pet that will obey and they can control.

It's not just LTL using these cameras. Concrete trucks are being equipped with these things. Some of these guys are being "coached" about not looking in their mirrors enough, not checking their blind spots, and even not allowing enough space between them and stationary objects, according to their speed. It has not gotten tough yet guys. But it is coming. Buckle up and hang on.

It's not just LTL using these cameras. Concrete trucks are being equipped with these things. Some of these guys are being "coached" about not looking in their mirrors enough, not checking their blind spots, and even not allowing enough space between them and stationary objects, according to their speed. It has not gotten tough yet guys. But it is coming. Buckle up and hang on.
Exactly.... Almost all food service companies have them.

I just don't get it. Why some want to cut their nose off to spite their face. In time everyone will have them. Will guys just keep job hopping to run from them. When you drive with them everyday you learn how to work with them. When and when not to do certain things. I really haven't altered a lot of the things I do. Maybe because I follow the Smith System to the tee. I don't have much of a problem with following distance, hard braking, cornering, seatbelts, cell phone usage. The beverage and food issue is an annoyance but I just deal with it. You see I won't give a job up this easy because of that. Are they micromanaging? Perhaps but it's their right to do so just as it's your right to quit. Conway survived with these cameras and so will SAIA. Studies have shown they are worth it from a legal standpoint. SAIA just wouldn't throw money into something that had no upside. They looked at the pros and cons and decided it's worth it. Most just look at me as the company cheerleader and ass kisser and I'm OK with that. I love this job and union free culture. I love being part of the SAIA FAMILY. To wave at my fellow co-workers on the street and at times complain about our company. But that's our right becahttp://www.ccjdigital.com/a-complete-picture-saia-uses-technology-to-advance-safety/use we work here. But in the end we are family and we watch out for each other. Just like we do with are families at home. I don't always agree with things that go on here. But when I put my uniform on and walk out the door I support my company. Right, wrong or indifferent. It's just a job and not my life but as long as I wear their uniform and take their money I owe them my loyalty. I'm proud to work at SAIA. And if your not then you should probably move on.
Train you may be correct. Every company MAY have them in the near future. I think the reoccurring thought I keep reading on hear is similar to mine, It is not so much the cameras as it is all the stupid rules. Never mind the fact that your hero (Rick Odell) was quoted in January 2014 in the Commercial Carrier Journal saying "One detail that Saia has chosen NOT to capture as part of the investigation is video footage of the driver." " From a privacy and professionalism standpoint, we have decided not to do that, People are sensitive to that." I guess to put it politically correct he lied, or put another way he changed his mind. My feeling is if Rick or anyone else at Saia doesn't trust the drivers to operate their equiptment safley They shouldn't of hired them (me) in the first place.

http://www.ccjdigital.com/a-complete-picture-saia-uses-technology-to-advance-safety/

Last edited:
Train you may be correct. Every company MAY have them in the near future. I think the reoccurring thought I keep reading on hear is similar to mine, It is not so much the cameras as it is all the stupid rules. Never mind the fact that your hero (Rick Odell) was quoted in January 2014 in the Commercial Carrier Journal saying "One detail that Saia has chosen NOT to capture as part of the investigation is video footage of the driver." " From a privacy and professionalism standpoint, we have decided not to do that, People are sensitive to that." I guess to put it politically correct he lied, or put another way he changed his mind. My feeling is if Rick or anyone else at Saia doesn't trust the drivers to operate their equiptment safley They shouldn't of hired them (me) in the first place.

http://www.ccjdigital.com/a-complete-picture-saia-uses-technology-to-advance-safety/
You have keep one thing in mind at all times. THE BOTTOM LINE. If a insurance/safety department says it will increase that bottom line, it will be installed. Idea he may change at at time, to grow that bottom line. Just imagine the difference in pay of a new driver verses an already seasoned, trained, driver, comfortable in what he/she has to do each day/night. Now multiply that amount times....let's say 100 drivers. See how much bigger the bottom line just got?

You have keep one thing in mind at all times. THE BOTTOM LINE. If a insurance/safety department says it will increase that bottom line, it will be installed. Idea he may change at at time, to grow that bottom line. Just imagine the difference in pay of a new driver verses an already seasoned, trained, driver, comfortable in what he/she has to do each day/night. Now multiply that amount times....let's say 100 drivers. See how much bigger the bottom line just got?
I completely understand the bottom line. I ran my own business for 18 years so I am very familiar with the bottom line. As a driver I am not too happy with the drive cams, as a shareholder I am skeptical at best with the results it will have on the bottom line.

It's just the price of doing business in such a competitive market. To grow the bottom line you must grow. And that cost money. Nobody ever saw Old Dominion coming and I suspect no one will see SAIA coming. In the next few years this company will be on Old Dominions level. One of the most profitable LTL companies in the business. Growing pains we will have and the associated cost with growing. But in the end you will have some very happy shareholders.

Last edited:
It's just the price of doing business in such a competitive market. To grow the bottom line you must grow. And that cost money. Nobody ever saw Old Dominion coming and I suspect no one will see SAIA coming. In the next few years this company will be on Old Dominions level. One of the most profitable LTL companies in the business. Growing pains we will have and the associated cost with growing. But in the end you will have some very happy shareholders.

I had expectations of us catching up to OD very quickly, but Saia has now set themselves apart from OD with their quest for micromanagment in the name of safety. OD didn't get to be as big as it did by treating their drivers as liabilities and hen-pecking them with a continuous stream of coaching. Quite the opposite: they achieved the reputation of being the most driver friendly LTL carriers in the country by not treating their drivers like schoolchildren that need to be babysat.

The huge difference between these cultures is the fact that in order to become a safety manager at Old Dominion, you are required to possess a CDL and have driving experience. What a concept! They actually expect the people training the employees to have experience in the area of what they are training! That's more than likely a completely foreign concept to anyone who started their driving career in the last 15 years.

I've met 3 of the safety managers here at Saia and I would lump them in the same category as the safety managers from the Con-Way days. Just another college educated desk jockey that thinks they are going to re-invent the wheel with the next big safety campaign.

I had expectations of us catching up to OD very quickly, but Saia has now set themselves apart from OD with their quest for micromanagment in the name of safety. OD didn't get to be as big as it did by treating their drivers as liabilities and hen-pecking them with a continuous stream of coaching. Quite the opposite: they achieved the reputation of being the most driver friendly LTL carriers in the country by not treating their drivers like schoolchildren that need to be babysat.

The huge difference between these cultures is the fact that in order to become a safety manager at Old Dominion, you are required to possess a CDL and have driving experience. What a concept! They actually expect the people training the employees to have experience in the area of what they are training! That's more than likely a completely foreign concept to anyone who started their driving career in the last 15 years.

I've met 3 of the safety managers here at Saia and I would lump them in the same category as the safety managers from the Con-Way days. Just another college educated desk jockey that thinks they are going to re-invent the wheel with the next big safety campaign.
You do have valid points in your post, no doubt. But we are talking about corporate america here. Can't have anything but the best and everyone knows a college degree outweighs trick driving skills. I am truly surprised that trick driving doesn't require some type of degree from something other than a TD school.
My mind is brought back to a job I had many years ago. My dispatcher told me he had ordered 24 new International trucks. One was to be mine. When they came in, they had no 5th wheels. I asked why and he said he didn't see the need for the extra wheel as we had tire accounts all over the US. They promoted him to the safety department.