SAIA | DriveCam ... By Lytx

That's exactly why most of us hate them and want nothing to do with them. I don't think I've EVER been coached for anything in my life that I'd consider worthy of even mentioning. When Con-Way started it, it was absolutely ridiculous: drinking coffee or water while driving, having my seatbelt off while in the yard, etc. I even got coached once for not having both hands on the steering wheel. The few times I've been in a camera truck here at Saia it's been the same deal, only now the cameras over here are about 5 times easier to set off and they have even more things to nit pick about since they want to blaze this trail of no Bluetooth or CB bullcrap. It's all been asinine BS that any experienced truck driver would dismiss as a frivolous waste of time even mentioning. But unfortunately we don't have experienced drivers in management anymore ever since this industry decided it made more sense to hire only college educated idiots that can barely back their Toyota out of a parking lot without hitting something, and have not a blessed clue what it's like to even sit in a truck, let alone drive it.

Yes, Con-Way pretty much ruined me. After absolutely loving my job for the first 4 years, and then having everything go down the toilet in the last few years because of the bean counters and number crunchers, I pretty much have a dim view of anyone in power that doesn't have a CDL anymore. Saia was a breath of fresh air for the first couple years because they just left you alone, let you do your job, and as long as you didn't screw up you never heard from anyone about anything. But now they are doing the exact same crap that Con-Way did, and they are going to be just as shocked when a huge percentage of their drivers leave and go somewhere else. It seems like it's not going to be just for the cameras either (the camera wasn't the main reason I left Con-Way). But along with these cameras comes excessive micromanagment and overbearing BS that no decent driver wants to deal with, because 99.9% of what that camera sees is just things they are going to try and incriminate you with. They have already had a bunch leave just in the last year of having only 200 camera trucks in the fleet. When they more than quadruple that number it's going to get real interesting. Even more interesting considering they are opening 4 new terminals soon and need to attract all the people they can get. And this is all on top of the fact that most of the terminals up here can't keep drivers as it is, already.

The bottom line for me is going to be whether or not they get rid of the Bluetooth and CB rule. Even if every other carrier may have cameras eventually, I'd rather go drive for one that doesn't impose ridiculous restrictions like that on their drivers. Even at their worst, Con-Way didn't do crap like that.
I'm starting to hear you.

Last edited:
Keep this in mind too folks...each and every time there is an incident or instance where you are being coached, it goes into your file. When and if the time comes, that data can and will be used against you as grounds for termination. Think of it as just another bullet in the gun. Companies live data, and while they may downplay it now, it can and will come back to hurt in the end.
The camera system is a huge expense but probably not as expensive as the ongoing maintenance of the system. Someone has to justify the initial and continuing expense, someone has to justify being hired to collect and process the videos, and then someone, at the company, has to justify that the cost of their job overseeing this cluster is necessary. That's a whole lotta of expensive employees trying to justify that the system is worthwhile. Corporate will demand that progress be shown, by the numbers, and the only way to do that is to tighten the screws on the discipline meted out to what the system reports as offenders. I have no doubt that the next step will be write ups and days off. Justification, to save their jobs, is about to come with a heavy price tag.

The camera system is a huge expense but probably not as expensive as the ongoing maintenance of the system. Someone has to justify the initial and continuing expense, someone has to justify being hired to collect and process the videos, and then someone, at the company, has to justify that the cost of their job overseeing this cluster is necessary. That's a whole lotta of expensive employees trying to justify that the system is worthwhile. Corporate will demand that progress be shown, by the numbers, and the only way to do that is to tighten the screws on the discipline meted out to what the system reports as offenders. I have no doubt that the next step will be write ups and days off. Justification, to save their jobs, is about to come with a heavy price tag.

The video collection and processing is done by Lytx, but Saia has to pay them to do it. At Con-Way, they have to pay a certain amount per video processed. I'm sure it's probably the same type of setup over here. Although over here they are going to have way more videos come through the system with the way it's triggered here at Saia. They also have to have a Saia employee to administer the coaching at each terminal. Whoever that is will become a very busy person.

The next step is implementing the system and seeing how many are willing to put up with it without taking their employment elsewhere. The financial choice they will eventually have to make is how much of a raise and sign on bonus they will have to implement in order to attract and retain enough drivers. Either that, or relax the discipline and leave the drivers alone.

It's anybody's guess as to what will actually happen. My experience with Con-Way tells me that they will have drivers leave en masse, but who knows.

The financial choice they will eventually have to make is how much of a raise and sign-on bonus they will have to implement in order to attract and retain enough drivers. Either that, or relax the discipline and leave the drivers alone.
It will take a 100 plus drivers to leave before they realize this...I have a feeling the $5000 sign-on bonuses will be back if we get busy.

You have to wonder if that line of thinking went into the decision making process. I understand weeding out bad drivers, but my gut tells me there aren't that many working for the big companies. A previous poster (train) mentions his extensive experience, but also that he unbuckled the seatbelt while driving. If Saia goes by the letter of the law, that was against sompany policy of being buckled up at all times in company equipment. The question is...where do they draw the line? This is a slippery slope when you are talking about people losing jobs because of this technology.

If Saia goes by the letter of the law
This is the slippery slope girl. It is against company policy to be without your seatbelt in a company vehicle but is it illegal on private property? The same can be said about Bluetooth usage. It's against company policy to be on one in a commercial vehicle but technically they are not illegal .... Even on public streets .... At least in Texas. The slippery slope is when you terminate someone for doing something that is not illegal. Many LTL companies allow Bluetooth usage because they are not ILLEGAL. That's the slippery slope.

Last edited:
No fear fellow drivers
I actually hold the key to manipulating the drivecam, I never had an event, even though i actually did, several times. The great thing is, theres no modifying or disabling the equipment and it still functions just as it is intended to do. I know there will be those in disbelief, but I have nothing to prove since i never get caught, no way the company can catch me, unless it's red handed. The company has field tested, sent off for inspection as well as replaced, and still can't figure out how i never get caught.

Last edited:
No fear fellow drivers
I actually hold the key to manipulating the drivecam, I never had an event, even though i actually did, several times. The great thing is, theres no modifying or disabling the equipment and it still functions just as it is intended to do. I know there will be those in disbelief, but I have nothing to prove since i never get caught, no way the company can catch me, unless it's red handed. The company has field tested, sent off for inspection as well as replaced, and still can't figure out how i never get caught.
I know and they know. In time that will be fixed smart ass.

Regarding Bluetooth...they are outlawed by Saia, not the Feds. Same with smoking. Saia policy is you wear your seatbelt when you are operating company vehicle. That means sales cars, tractors, forklifts, etc...there is nothing stating "where" you are operating (dock, private property, public street). My point is that your company has decided to institute all these rules, but lacks the desire to enforce them on a consistent basis. Consistency is key.

Lol, Nah!
I don't think you do know runaway

So if no secret, then share a small portion of your thought, I would willing to bet humiliation that you don't know.
Your baiting me. I know what your doing. You disclose it hot shot. I don't do it because I don't care. I don't cheat. Enjoy it for now because it will be eliminated soon.

Your baiting me. I know what your doing. You disclose it hot shot. I don't do it because I don't care. I don't cheat. Enjoy it for now because it will be eliminated soon.
I have no need to bait you my friend, the drivecam company won't spend the amount of money it cost to totally restructure there product. What I know doesn't effect the cam whatsoever, within a matter of 2 minutes at any given time, whether in motion or not, i can shut down, delete, reset & power up cam after any event, proven to work, so much so, i been selling for $125.00 for kit and instructions.

I have no need to bait you my friend, the drivecam company won't spend the amount of money it cost to totally restructure there product. What I know doesn't effect the cam whatsoever, within a matter of 2 minutes at any given time, whether in motion or not, i can shut down, delete, reset & power up cam after any event, proven to work, so much so, i been selling for $125.00 for kit and instructions.

ICWkCaD.jpg

I don't believe your BS STORY. But I will say your the type that would roll back a digital odometer. Your a worthless POS!!

ICWkCaD.jpg

I don't believe your BS STORY. But I will say your the type that would roll back a digital odometer. Your a worthless POS!!
ICWkCaD.jpg

You don't have to believe me, nothing takin away from me, and yes! That would be correct about the speedometer, I just happen to be the ass smart enough to pull off something of that nature ;)

You don't have to believe me, nothing takin away from me, and yes! That would be correct about the speedometer, I just happen to be the ass smart enough to pull off something of that nature ;)
Let me get this straight. What you are saying is you would roll back a digital odometer on a car and sale it fraudulently. That would land you in jail. Are you really proud of that? You have absolutely no integrity. I won't waste anymore of my time on you. You are a real class act.

Let me get this straight. What you are saying is you would roll back a digital odometer on a car and sale it fraudulently. That would land you in jail. Are you really proud of that? You have absolutely no integrity. I won't waste anymore of my time on you. You are a real class act.
Of course if you would have paid attention, you just might have noticed the differences between my intelligence and yours, Look real closely, I said that I am the ass enough capable of pulling something like that off, don't recollect i ever said anything about actually doing it ;)

Of course if you would have paid attention, you just might have noticed the differences between my intelligence and yours, Look real closely, I said that I am the ass enough capable of pulling something like that off, don't recollect i ever said anything about actually doing it ;)
But you admitted to illegally creating a device that hacks into DriveCam. I know how your blocking a triggered event and that's not it. Same thing hot shot. Your unethical.