SAIA | DriveCam ... By Lytx

Do we know if these cameras are going to be placed in company cars?

Of course they won't. We pushed for the same thing at Con-Way and got every lame excuse in the book as to why they wouldn't do it. What's good for the goose is NEVER good for the gander...

There is another possibility, but Train had better go into the other room and not read it. The company may conclude that the inward facing camera is not worth the price and not retrofit the cameras into the new or older Volvos, thus killing the program.

Company supplied cars are not covered by Saia liability insurance? Employees, who drive these "non" commercial cars, are exempt from Safety department scrutiny? How nice.
There is a Chevrolet Impala sitting behind the HST shop with the front-end torn up? :stirthepot: Where is the video?

OK, I am starting to worry about Train. He hasn't checked in since 10:06AM, yesterday. Do we organize a search party or, oh my God, did he get coached. There's no telling what he might do. Comeback Train, comeback.:sadwavey:

OK, I am starting to worry about Train. He hasn't checked in since 10:06AM, yesterday. Do we organize a search party or, oh my God, did he get coached. There's no telling what he might do. Comeback Train, comeback.:sadwavey:
I'm here but I just get too busy at times to post. And my nights get pretty busy with the Grandkids. Dracula, I'm pretty much a clean up guy when it comes to SAIA. As a FNG (2 years) I get the later start times and mostly do time consuming stops or volumes loads the route drivers can't get. On average I get around 5-6 deliveries and about the same pickups. The dispatchers know me and wisely utilize me the way it serves them best. I'm not a spring chicken and they know it. As far as a retrofit I would never see that happening. All I see is all new equipment having the DriveCam technology. It's here to stay. It won't go away. I will be back as time permits. FYI ... I post when waiting on customers ... Lunch ... Breaks ... Unloading other trucks and various other reasons. I post when I'm on lunch also. The weekends are hit and miss depending on the kids and grandkids or how much some of my fans get on my nerves.

Last edited:
Let me add this. I haven't been coached yet but I'm sure I will be in time. I'm not some primadonna that thinks because I've driven 40 + years without an accident that somehow I'm exempt from these coaching sessions. Over the years honestly I've been really blessed and have come really close to an accident but somehow escaped. Each incident I learned from and never made that same mistake again. Humility is hard for some people. It's not hard for me. I've been to the top and lost it all so I've come to understand and appreciate the things I have today. Many think my cavalier attitude toward these cameras is because I'm set for retirement and could go anytime I want. It's not. They simply don't bother me because I have always been open to new things. Especially things that can make me a better and safer driver and for that matter a better human being. It's all in your attitude.

QvY2xkV.jpg
Some just choke on it.

From an actual operational standpoint perhaps not much. But from an operation ratio standpoint it could have an impact. Smaller companies can't absorb million dollar lawsuits like FedEx ... Thus putting them out of business. These cameras will exonerate many companies with proof they weren't at fault. CT they are coming to FedEx and you know it.

Hard brakes ... Sharp turns are the most common. Mine goes off all the time when I bump a dock too hard or hit a big pot hole. They know what's up and won't say a word in those cases.
Sysco Foods here in Cleveland has totally taken the camera thing way way way over the line. I think you make some good points with there having a place, unfortunately though that's how it always starts with government it gets to be this oh were only going to use it for good never for evil and then before to long you become Sysco where if the camera turns on 3 times in your career your fired and it doesn't matter what it is, you hit 3 pot holes and you get 3 cameras because you hit 3 pot holes your fired in theory and they don't care they just keep hiring and hiring nobody works there longer then 6 months, they went from being top of the food chain to a bottom feeder that company can't keep people to save it's life of course they don't care.

However I don't know about you guys, but we have some of the worst roads in the country and sometimes the road is just bad and the camera would just go off and that's not fair and they sit there and go rules are rules good bye. I work for a pretty big one right now however compared to LTL companies and US Foods and Sysco were only middle of the road in size and I'm sure the company looked into camera's, but probably got sticker shocked.

My point is this if the cameras are used for good there great good meaning to protect the drivers from litigation, but it's a slippery slope and you know how management and government gets that's always how it starts to protect you, but then they turn you into the enemy and the problem. I'm always looking to improve my skills there's stuff I need to work on, that's not the issue, but what I'm saying is it starts off innocent and well meaning enough but as time goes on it becomes Sysco Foods where a slight dip in the road sets the camera off and your fired.