FedEx Freight | Driver Facing Cameras

purple smurf

TB Lurker
Credits
As we all know, some centers already have them, others will have them soon. The only purpose of those cameras is to discipline and eventually fire you. That's it. They serve no other ultimate purpose. What other job out there has you under a spying eye every minute of the day? What I am, working for the Philly Mint? Another strategy to harass you, clean house and get rid of guys and reset the employee roster for less pay, less vacation, etc. I say ride around with your pants down, give the camera the finger, pick your nose, etc.

As we all know, some centers already have them, others will have them soon. The only purpose of those cameras is to discipline and eventually fire you. That's it. They serve no other ultimate purpose. What other job out there has you under a spying eye every minute of the day? What I am, working for the Philly Mint? Another strategy to harass you, clean house and get rid of guys and reset the employee roster for less pay, less vacation, etc. I say ride around with your pants down, give the camera the finger, pick your nose, etc.
Are you a conspiracy theorist??
If your gonna do those things for the camera you might wanna hold on tight so you don't slide off of the hood while traveling down the highway!!

I would have to disagree with you. I have no problem with the cameras saving the company alot of money on insurance claims and alot can save your job. Your on a 3 lane highway in the right lane, a car passes you over in the left lane and at the last minute cuts across all 3 lanes to get off an exit. You rear end them.Before the camera you would be charged for the rear end hit and the company would be paying $50,000 plus for injuries. Now that won't happen.
Now like yourself I to was against it at one time not now. But what we all should want and fight for is a contract to protect us from any disipline that could come from it. The company says they are forward facing only, I don't buy it. The way they work in other companies is it is always on but doesn't record data until the anti collision kicks in or quick sudden movement. Then it records 8 seconds forward and 4 seconds at you. Where drivers are getting jammed up is on cell phone, no seatbelts etc. We all need a clause in a contract protecting us from that. Now I've asked the question about the camera on us and have been told we'll get back to you, I'm still waiting.

I would have to disagree with you. I have no problem with the cameras saving the company alot of money on insurance claims and alot can save your job. Your on a 3 lane highway in the right lane, a car passes you over in the left lane and at the last minute cuts across all 3 lanes to get off an exit. You rear end them.Before the camera you would be charged for the rear end hit and the company would be paying $50,000 plus for injuries. Now that won't happen.
Now like yourself I to was against it at one time not now. But what we all should want and fight for is a contract to protect us from any disipline that could come from it. The company says they are forward facing only, I don't buy it. The way they work in other companies is it is always on but doesn't record data until the anti collision kicks in or quick sudden movement. Then it records 8 seconds forward and 4 seconds at you. Where drivers are getting jammed up is on cell phone, no seatbelts etc. We all need a clause in a contract protecting us from that. Now I've asked the question about the camera on us and have been told we'll get back to you, I'm still waiting.
Also I left out that the data collected goes to a 3rd party and they forward it to the company.

Must I point out the obvious here? Smurf is taking aim at "Driver Facing" cameras to which I would agree 100% although I thought we were simply getting road facing cameras ?????

Must I point out the obvious here? Smurf is taking aim at "Driver Facing" cameras to which I would agree 100% although I thought we were simply getting road facing cameras ?????

You are correct but I would bet a bunch of money the driver facing cameras will be soon after. They weren't going to do it all at once they knew it would case an uproar. This is my opinion I could be wrong.

Don't worry the vorad report will make a bunch of unhappy campers anyway. They are implementing the vorad , lane departure, and speed all into the elog.

Don't worry the vorad report will make a bunch of unhappy campers anyway. They are implementing the vorad , lane departure, and speed all into the elog.

I see nothing but good times ahead for the average Joe the driver here and everywhere LMFAO

"Yes Joe, come in and please be seated. We noticed yesterday that you were just a little too close to a car on the 405 and the day prior you crossed onto the shoulder for a split second"

They way I understand from my meet man who had the class yesterday when they upload your log they also get a driving habit report.

You are correct. They're called "in cab" cameras because they're mounted inside the cab, on the windshield, facing out towards the front of the truck. These guys hear "in cab" and automatically assume they're driver facing cameras and they're not.
The lane departure system already utilizes an "in cab" camera as well and no one complains about those....well, they do complain about that stupid buzzer!!

If I understand the camera right, it's a constant recording camera. It will hold five days of recordings. I don't know if the sixth day overrides the first or so on

I see nothing but good times ahead for the average Joe the driver here and everywhere LMFAO

"Yes Joe, come in and please be seated. We noticed yesterday that you were just a little too close to a car on the 405 and the day prior you crossed onto the shoulder for a split second"
I get your humor but seriously, in order to trigger "following to closely" you must sustain a following distance of one second or less, for a minimum of three continuous miles, at a speed of 55mph or more. If someone is caught violating this "trigger", then perhaps they should be "coached"!!

If I understand the camera right, it's a constant recording camera. It will hold five days of recordings. I don't know if the sixth day overrides the first or so on
Kinda sorta....they can only view "clips" from the footage, they can't sit down and view 5 days of continuous video. About 5 days is for non-slip seat tractors, those who slip-seat can get about 3 days worth depending on hours driven. Also, any driver can request to see a "clip", all you need is a date and time.

So while your going up a long grade following another truck but you don't have the power to pass. In your world I need to slow down even more because the vorad is going crazy, and yes it will trigger a report
If your truck can pull a long grade above 55mph, consider yourself lucky....I'm jealous!!