Yellow | Driver Recruiter

Skinnytrucker

TB Regular
Credits
I resigned from YRC this morning and the manager that accepted my resignation letter told me the "Driver Recruiter" also quit almost 30 mins before me. He only worked there 30 days and quit. He said he was having no success in finding drivers to work here with all the cuts. Really sad what has become of what was once the top job in the trucking industry. I didn't even know we hired driver recruiters.

think about it , really WHY would somebody come here to take a -15% pay giveback from day one ?????

this is what they want. GAME OVER ...

No, What they want to do is to try to set the standard for the Ind Lower. It's that or they were to damn dumb to understand that NOBODY and dammit I mean NOBODY will drive a truck for them at these depressed pay levels!
Getting part time dock casuals is one thing. But hiring full time CDL drivers at the rates we have? HA! Good luck!

We had two supervisors quit in the past 2 weeks. One of their replacements quit after only 3 days on the job.

No, What they want to do is to try to set the standard for the Ind Lower. It's that or they were to damn dumb to understand that NOBODY and dammit I mean NOBODY will drive a truck for them at these depressed pay levels!
Getting part time dock casuals is one thing. But hiring full time CDL drivers at the rates we have? HA! Good luck!

I guess ABF is having the same problem. Nobody wants to work for 8 years before getting 2 weeks vacation.

What's next?? Signing bonuses and a driver referral program? YRC and ABF's chickens are coming home to roost!

I think that you are absolutely correct about this. We STILL set the benchmark for the industry. When we "take it in the shorts", the non-unionized companies stick it to their people similarly, causing the entire industry's wages to fall. Translation: the non-unionized folks got the shaft too, and they didn't get to vote on it.
As you may have learned by now, the "compensation committee" gave Welch an $875,000 bonus in February even though the company didn't meet performance numbers for 2013. It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots on that; he got fat for screwing all of us.

There is a HUGE shortage of drivers in the trucking industry. Young folks seem to be avoiding the industry and I for one cannot blame them. Pay is only one aspect with poor working conditions and long irregular hours not helping out. I cannot even imagine how bad the turnover is in the historically poor paying truckload sector.

I've worked for Yellow, now YRC for 19 years. I'm leaving for Duie Pyle. I've been pushed to the edge and I decided to jump. The arrogance of that letter in February sealed the deal for me. Non-union companies are starting pay around what we make now. I'm taking a $1.00 an hour pay cut for 1year. After two years I will get top rate, probably around 24.00. Know what I'll be making after 2 more years at YRC, 21.06 same as now. I'm 50 and looking at working another 12 - 14 years now is the time to go. If I was within 5 years of retirement I would ride it out. I don't fault anyone who stays, I just can't. I hope to road test this week, training in a couple weeks and start by May 1st.

I resigned from YRC this morning and the manager that accepted my resignation letter told me the "Driver Recruiter" also quit almost 30 mins before me. He only worked there 30 days and quit. He said he was having no success in finding drivers to work here with all the cuts. Really sad what has become of what was once the top job in the trucking industry. I didn't even know we hired driver recruiters.
Congratulations and good luck. Did you find another job or are you retiring?
I guess ABF is having the same problem. Nobody wants to work for 8 years before getting 2 weeks vacation.
It seems our only source for drivers with that vacation policy, work hours, work guarantee, type of work period, etc. is YRC defectors. About the only things offered at ABF are more security and the pension contributions.

Congratulations and good luck. Did you find another job or are you retiring?

It seems our only source for drivers with that vacation policy, work hours, work guarantee, type of work period, etc. is YRC defectors. About the only things offered at ABF are more security and the pension contributions.

You are correct there. I know several drivers who plan to make a jump to ABF to bring their pension up to full. Once they get their 180 punches they can retire so the vacation policy doesnt matter

Another job,retire? Whatever it is good luck to you!!

YRC is a ****ty place to work. Where I work you cant find a single person to say anything positive. Lay guys off, force others to work late. Seniority means nothing. Ass kissers and 'milkers' get the shortest runs. Union has lost its strength because the co. keeps threatening to go bankrupt. Ill be there Monday, but Im looking everyday. Good luck to everyone who stays but I think in the long run the guys that move on will be happier. Just my opinion. Not meant to offend anyone.

we can't keep drivers or casual dockmen. YRC is getting what it pays for and less. Many of our drivers are diligently looking elsewhere.

we can't keep drivers or casual dockmen. YRC is getting what it pays for and less. Many of our drivers are diligently looking elsewhere.

Labor is like any other commodity. If you want quality it costs more. I`d bet Welch is having trouble figuring out why drivers and dock workers aren`t knocking the doors down to try to get a job there. In every major corporation in America,I don`t believe senior management has ever been as disconnected as they are today with the average working man.

Obama and the rest of the politicians have 11 million illegals chomping at the bit for a chance to take the jobs. Who cares about US citizens.

Our linehaul manager is driving directly to the driving school with our safety guy in a nice shiny Volvo and a brand new shiny pup to beg greenhorns right out of school to come work for us. A sad reality. The company has made their bed. Do you want some pimply faced 21 year old with 3 months under his belt driving next to your wife and kids at 60 mph dragging 70,000 lbs in a snowstorm? This is the company we have become all in the name of the mighty dollar. Sad.

Our linehaul manager is driving directly to the driving school with our safety guy in a nice shiny Volvo and a brand new shiny pup to beg greenhorns right out of school to come work for us. A sad reality. The company has made their bed. Do you want some pimply faced 21 year old with 3 months under his belt driving next to your wife and kids at 60 mph dragging 70,000 lbs in a snowstorm? This is the company we have become all in the name of the mighty dollar. Sad.
Give 'em the old bait and switch, eh?