XPO | Driver shortage

I used to occasionally run with a lady Swift daycab driver who went by the handle "Teardrop". She was often shirtless. I didn't find that objectionable!
Shirtless?!? Then shouldn't you have called her Teardrops? And how did you know she was shirtless? And what did the " Teardrops" look like?

Shirtless?!? Then shouldn't you have called her Teardrops? And how did you know she was shirtless? And what did the " Teardrops" look like?
They were surprisingly very nice! She was a wild one. 1st time I encountered her I heard guys on the radio making a fuss about something awful "purty" when they passed that Swift truck. Then it was my turn. And...wow. It was one of those rare times a Swift truck passed a bunch of trucks because we all wanted a 2nd (and 3rd) look. The four-wheelers would've had no idea. The show was just for us.

Sorry for hijacking the thread! (Memories...)

Are you being sarcastic or serious? Honestly , the last few drivers that we had that were "homegrown" were fired.

At this terminal, they do an awesome job. Always have. Most stick around. The ones that don't, find other opportunities and are still driving.

We actually do an amazing job training drivers.

Agreed HS...Conway/XPO has always had a very long and successful dsr training program in place.The half dozen dsr's that got their cdl's at our
barn last Fall however are not too happy sitting home by the phone waiting to be called to work.The contract that corporate had them sign binds them for two years here is killing them. They're just chompin' at the bit to go to greener pastures.
It didn't used to be that way in years past though. At my barn about 15 years or more ago, Conway got 6 or 7 guys their licenses through dsr training etc Within a couple of weeks after that...they all bolted for better jobs. And I suppose on the way out you could hear each one of them say what was said in the movie 'Platoon' when the old guy's time was up and he got his orders to be shipped out of 'nam just before a huge battle was gonna take place. As he jumped on the waiting chopper that would take him away from all the madness of the war you could hear him say."So long all you @%#*ckers."

I'm confused Vetran Peddleman and Highspeeds. I believe you two when you say we have an excellent training program. But does the training stop at driving , pre-triping/post-triping , and busting/hooking a set?

Why so many complaints ( in general ) about dockworkers and drivers doing things the wrong way leading to problems? ( like damages ) With drivers , I figure we get a lot that received their CDL and training elsewhere. But with dockworkers , we train them from the ground up. There's no one else to blame for bad dockworkers but ourselves.

They're just chompin' at the bit to go to greener pastures.
It didn't used to be that way in years past though. At my barn about 15 years or more ago, Conway got 6 or 7 guys their licenses through dsr training etc Within a couple of weeks after that...they all bolted for better jobs.
After their 2 year commitment passes , do drivers stay or move on to better opportunities?

At this terminal, they do an awesome job. Always have. Most stick around. The ones that don't, find other opportunities and are still driving.
I did Smith System training there at your barn years ago in a pick-up truck. I wonder if we still do that?

Agreed HS...Conway/XPO has always had a very long and successful dsr training program in place.The half dozen dsr's that got their cdl's at our
barn last Fall however are not too happy sitting home by the phone waiting to be called to work.The contract that corporate had them sign binds them for two years here is killing them. They're just chompin' at the bit to go to greener pastures.
It didn't used to be that way in years past though. At my barn about 15 years or more ago, Conway got 6 or 7 guys their licenses through dsr training etc Within a couple of weeks after that...they all bolted for better jobs. And I suppose on the way out you could hear each one of them say what was said in the movie 'Platoon' when the old guy's time was up and he got his orders to be shipped out of 'nam just before a huge battle was gonna take place. As he jumped on the waiting chopper that would take him away from all the madness of the war you could hear him say."So long all you @%#*ckers."
One guy that did the training last year with Con-Way quit Friday, no contract now that we are XPO.

I'm confused Vetran Peddleman and Highspeeds. I believe you two when you say we have an excellent training program. But does the training stop at driving , pre-triping/post-triping , and busting/hooking a set?

Why so many complaints ( in general ) about dockworkers and drivers doing things the wrong way leading to problems? ( like damages ) With drivers , I figure we get a lot that received their CDL and training elsewhere. But with dockworkers , we train them from the ground up. There's no one else to blame for bad dockworkers but ourselves.
As far as dock workers, Ic. During training they will probably not see every possible scenario as far as how to do things the way the company would like it done, but remember it is difficult to train people who are either lazy, or have no common sense also. I see people at our place who have been dockmen for 20 plus years, and still do not know how to properly use deck bars, and air bags.

One guy that did the training last year with Con-Way quit Friday, no contract now that we are XPO.
If it's true that switching to XPO cancelled their two year contract, I would expect to see a bunch of new guys leave XPO. And if there are a lot of people sitting, as posted, they would be the lowest seniority.......and they would be the majority of the ones sitting. Don't be surprised to see a bunch of newbies quit if this is true.

As far as dock workers, Ic. During training they will probably not see every possible scenario as far as how to do things the way the company would like it done, but remember it is difficult to train people who are either lazy, or have no common sense also. I see people at our place who have been dockmen for 20 plus years, and still do not know how to properly use deck bars, and air bags.
Airbags? I see them in the trash and blowing around our yard. This is after a trailer is unloaded from a customer that placed the airbags inside to protect their freight. On inbound , I don't recall breaking a trailer from a FAC with them. Okay - done with my airbag rant.

To be fair , the loads have been better lately , and over the few years that I've known we've had airbags , straps and dunnage work just as well or better.

Place your forks on top of the air bags and blow the bags up. It makes an awesome sound. Nowadays you might even find some drivers/dock workers running for cover.
:1036316054:

Just sayin'.

:popcorn:

Of course, in today's work environment where you can't have any fun, you could get ::shit:: canned over it.
:nono h4h:

Airbags? I see them in the trash and blowing around our yard. This is after a trailer is unloaded from a customer that placed the airbags inside to protect their freight. On inbound , I don't recall breaking a trailer from a FAC with them. Okay - done with my airbag rant.

To be fair , the loads have been better lately , and over the few years that I've known we've had airbags , straps and dunnage work just as well or better.
believe it or not, I think there are some people where I am that place bags between skids, and just leave them thinking they will self inflate.