ABF | Driver trainer program canceled

So basically screw the loyal employee and hire a washed up has been.
We have hired 18 of your so-called “washed up has been’s” here in North Little Rock. The only thing I am hearing about them so far is how much better the trailers are loaded as well as the bill count per hour on the rise.
Experience in this business means EVERYTHING when it comes to loading and unloading freight. These guys are all doing an excellent job and are all getting along well with their new co-workers.
They are all CDL qualified with all of the required endorsements as well if they are needed in the city.
So why would an employer pay $5,000 or more per employee to send a part time employee to driving school who may or may not hang around after he/she gets their CDL when you have willing and able, qualified employees who are glad to get this job and require very little training?

We have hired 18 of your so-called “washed up has been’s” here in North Little Rock. The only thing I am hearing about them so far is how much better the trailers are loaded as well as the bill count per hour on the rise.
Experience in this business means EVERYTHING when it comes to loading and unloading freight. These guys are all doing an excellent job and are all getting along well with their new co-workers.
They are all CDL qualified with all of the required endorsements as well if they are needed in the city.
So why would an employer pay $5,000 or more per employee to send a part time employee to driving school who may or may not hang around after he/she gets their CDL when you have willing and able, qualified employees who are glad to get this job and require very little training?
Ask your boss if he would hire a washed-up has- been that does not load or unload freight, but I will stand around and tell them how to run the company.
Salary negotiable.

So the guy on the dock who's been loyal and is trying to better himself gets the shaft.? How he supposed to get experience when the company who told him they'd train and give him a shot now says sorry pal we appreciate the job you do hope you like it because you're going to on the dock for the rest of your carrier.

So the guy on the dock who's been loyal and is trying to better himself gets the shaft.? How he supposed to get experience when the company who told him they'd train and give him a shot now says sorry pal we appreciate the job you do hope you like it because you're going to on the dock for the rest of your carrier.
Most of the part time (casual) employees that work here at the Rock are either in college or have other full time jobs and work here because it is a part time job. Nowhere else around here pays $17.25 an hour with pension contributions made on top of that and ABF will generally work around their schedule. Our driver training program has worked out well for the most part, be we have had several do it and then quit to go on the road for other companies. So, why should the employer pay to send someone to school just so they can go work elsewhere when they have qualified, experienced people available to fill the jobs?

These employees did not dovetail in as did some of those who were with companies ABF bought over the years. I was always glad to see new hires because the more the company hired, the more cushion I had under me on the seniority board. These men are going to the bottom of the board. The company in the past has hired men from companies that went out of business because they had experience & were an asset from day one. Good to see fellow Teamster brothers continue their career. Every employee the company hires helps local 878.

Most of the part time (casual) employees that work here at the Rock are either in college or have other full time jobs and work here because it is a part time job. Nowhere else around here pays $17.25 an hour with pension contributions made on top of that and ABF will generally work around their schedule. Our driver training program has worked out well for the most part, be we have had several do it and then quit to go on the road for other companies. So, why should the employer pay to send someone to school just so they can go work elsewhere when they have qualified, experienced people available to fill the jobs?
They don't sign a contract so they have to stay for a year or payback the expense of education?

They don't sign a contract so they have to stay for a year or payback the expense of education?
Most would stay a year or more. But, you still have the expense of the training school ($5,000 or more), their wages for 40-hours a week while in training school, meal allowance, and room/boarding if the school is over 100-miles away (one-way) as well as mileage pay.
So, do the math and tell me which is better. Putting someone thru driving school with all of that expense to get a year or two out of them, or hire someone with all the necessary qualifications and experience that will hang around at least that long or longer!!!
Don‘t get me wrong, I am all for the driving school program. But if the company can hire qualified, experienced Teamster brothers needing a job, then that is what they should do.

Last edited:
Most would stay a year or more. But, you still have the expense of the training school ($5,000 or more), their wages for 40-hours a week while in training school, meal allowance, and room/boarding if the school is over 100-miles away (one-way) as well as mileage pay.
So, do the math and tell me which is better. Putting someone thru driving school with all of that expense to get a year or two out of them, or hire someone with all the necessary qualifications and experience that will hang around at least that long or longer!!!
Don‘t get me wrong, I am all for the driving school program. But if the company can hire qualified, experienced Teamster brothers needing a job, then that is what they should do.
We had a deal in Charl that any laid-off Teamster had first priority for any part or full-time work he was qualified for at any union co that was hiring.
PIE used mostly firemen or police until we got this rule in place.

Automatic transmission and it shows on the road truck drivers thinking they are driving cars
Nothing like when I started driving sad to say the least

ABF trained a couple of ex military to be road drivers out west several yrs ago and one wore his chains clear down off Snoqualmie Pass on bare pavement into the Seattle yard with the broken links banging against the fuel tank and parked it in the yard and they had a real mess when the fuel leaked out onto the pavement while he was in bed. Never saw it, just heard about it... Like Ron White said "you can't fix stupid" As bad as it was, they were lucky. Can you imagine a 15 mile long HazMat spill cleanup?

ABF trained a couple of ex military to be road drivers out west several yrs ago and one wore his chains clear down off Snoqualmie Pass on bare pavement into the Seattle yard with the broken links banging against the fuel tank and parked it in the yard and they had a real mess when the fuel leaked out onto the pavement while he was in bed. Never saw it, just heard about it... Like Ron White said "you can't fix stupid" As bad as it was, they were lucky. Can you imagine a 15 mile long HazMat spill cleanup?
Normally those with military experience are more responsible than this man. There is no excuse for what he did.