ABF | Driver trainer program canceled

Normally those with military experience are more responsible than this man. There is no excuse for what he did. However I have seen drivers with many years experience refuse to throw their own chains & demanded that the shop send mechanics or vendors to chain up for them because they said they did not know how? Then to add to their slothfullness want somebody to remove them later. Can you say wussies?

I know. The only excuse is that he was not trained properly for using chains. No one wants to think about this being an essential part of the job out here. When your competitors all use chains, you really don't have a choice if you expect to remain competitive.

If the shoe fits, I'll wear it.
Guilty of all the above.
Ryder told us to call line dispatch and they would handle it.
They never asked us wussies to chain up.:6788::6799:
I don't know... I always noticed once I got my chains on, the palms of my hands quit sweating.... I always figured that was a lot of sheet metal to stack up into one pile, especially if there was a family in an Oldsmobile under it...

Guilty of all the above.
I know what you mean, and I get it, but I always considered that sitting when I could be moving was tough money to make, even though the math said otherwise. I hated it. The standing joke was: what are you bitching about? You would pay a hundred dollars at a carnival to have thrills like this..."One Frito Lay driver we all knew out of Portland always played skating rink music over his CB while we were all sliding around. It was actually fun back then. Walt pulled in in front of me one night when chains were required to get down off Cabbage hill in Oregon and I walked up to help him chain up and his chains were a rusty, twisted mess. I ask him when he used them last, and he just laughed..

Last edited:
Guilty of all the above.
What highway did you run between South Carolina & Florida that required chains? I know of several female drivers that chained up by themselves without a second thought. However I do remember at least two that wanted help to drop & hook at terminals without a hostler.

What highway did you run between South Carolina & Florida that required chains? I know of several female drivers that chained up by themselves without a second thought. However I do remember at least two that wanted help to drop & hook at terminals without a hostler.
Have you never run the mountains on 301 at Ludowici Ga or the Allendale S C mountains?
They are just a little less than 20,000'
The biggie is on 321 at Denmark, Sweden, and Norway S C.
July and August is about the only time we didn't chain up on those hills.

Yeah Doc, but it is tough for a woman to push gears around by herself. It is easy for a man to get hurt, let alone a woman. I would always help them. They were always pleasant enough. A couple were even easy on the eyes...

Yeah Doc, but it is tough for a woman to push gears around by herself. It is easy for a man to get hurt, let alone a woman. I would always help them. They were always pleasant enough. A couple were even easy on the eyes...
I always helped anybody that needed help, male of female. The problem with one is that she would get on her CB & get drivers off the road to come help. The supervisor told her the company would be liable if somebody got hurt while on company property if they were summoned by an employee. The correct way was for her to ask an employee or if it was a terminal where no employee was present to get the company to bring in a vendor. The company doesn't want anybody to get hurt for several reasons.

I always helped anybody that needed help, male of female. The problem with one is that she would get on her CB & get drivers off the road to come help. The supervisor told her the company would be liable if somebody got hurt while on company property if they were summoned by an employee. The correct way was for her to ask an employee or if it was a terminal where no employee was present to get the company to bring in a vendor. The company doesn't want anybody to get hurt for several reasons.
Shucks, I even offered to share my room with a female driver out of Atlanta.
The dispatcher said that if I bring a notarized okay from my wife, he was okay with that.
I had second thoughts about that and decided not a good idea.

Have you never run the mountains on 301 at Ludowici Ga or the Allendale S C mountains?
They are just a little less than 20,000'
The biggie is on 321 at Denmark, Sweden, and Norway S C.
July and August is about the only time we didn't chain up on those hills.
I was always fearful of being forced out on a retrival run to Pensacola. Those mountain passes between Mobile & Pensacola can be treacherous in the winter.

Shucks, I even offered to share my room with a female driver out of Atlanta.
The dispatcher said that if I bring a notarized okay from my wife, he was okay with that.
I had second thoughts about that and decided not a good idea.
My wife & I have had similar conversations, she said she is not worried, She says I am like a dog chasing a car, wouldn't know what to do if I caught it.

I have the greatest respect/admiration for Breeze. Not many of us who worked in LTL have survived to be his age. I always atrributed the high rate of dementia in those who worked the road to rough riding tractors back then that led to jumbled up brain cells. I don't know of many if any freight lines that had air spring suspensions back then. Loud cabs & shops have taken it's toll on my hearing. A career in LTL is not the healthiest enviroment.

I know. The only excuse is that he was not trained properly for using chains. No one wants to think about this being an essential part of the job out here. When your competitors all use chains, you really don't have a choice if you expect to remain competitive.
Had a CHP officer put up the chain sign Nevada side . We ran chains for 8 miles before we started to see snow.

I have the greatest respect/admiration for Breeze. Not many of us who worked in LTL have survived to be his age. I always atrributed the high rate of dementia in those who worked the road to rough riding tractors back then that led to jumbled up brain cells. I don't know of many if any freight lines that had air spring suspensions back then. Loud cabs & shops have taken it's toll on my hearing. A career in LTL is not the healthiest enviroment.
Doc, you may know that I have a Cochlear implant although I seldom use it, I have terrible hearing
My bride calls it (selective)
The guys in the shop said we would knock the baffles out of the muffler for you when you were younger.
Now that you're an old fart you will turn down the tractor for a little exhaust leak.
I attribute many hearing problems to the Detroits with the windows down all those non-AC years.

The guy that was the driver trainer for the military guys from Ft Carson quit today. Guess he wasn't feeling the driving without training part. Sad thing is few open bids need to get posted and union seems to be more worried about buying non cdl straight trucks for the non cdl only dock workers. Doesn't sound good but I was only half listening. Have a great night everyone.

Last edited: