ABF | E log woes

You will be on a trial bases for some time before they go on line for real. It will become second nature just like everything else. Good luck Brothers.

If you have any question on the legal issues just ask OLE RJ he seems to be the expert on right from wrong on this forum.

And before you naysayers start we are lucky to have such a brilliant mind on this forum. We could have lost him to the old TRUCKSTOP SH LAWYERS ASSOC.LLC. YOUR BROTHER ABOUT TO RETAIN RJ ALWAYS!

I didn't think it was possible to make a mistake. I thought that was the whole point ...that it logged exactly what you did.

Worst I've done is accidentally put myself on on duty instead of off for a 30 minute break and had to sit for another 30 when I realized my mistake. Pissed at myself but could still make the run with the hours I had left so no harm no foul.

You can go back and fix errors. Under "Annotations", there is an icon for " Forgotten Annotations". You can go back and adjust your log. Don't forget that when these are implemented, you will have to electronically "certify" that the log is true and accurate,.....just as your signature on a paper log makes it an official document. The driver ONLY, is allowed to make corrections, for anyone else to do it would be a violation of law.

Our PeopleNet doesn't allow us to adjust, which can be a hassle but management can adjust everything but line 3. Even PeopleNet can't adjust line 3.

Our PeopleNet doesn't allow us to adjust, which can be a hassle but management can adjust everything but line 3. Even PeopleNet can't adjust line 3.
Line 3 is Driving,....and I guess that's hooked to the speedometer. If the wheels are rolling, you've got to be driving . What would concern me, Brother, is management's ability to change something that, by law, you are ultimately responsible for, and will affix your electronic signature to. Only you should be allowed to make corrections. Your inadvertent break is a good example of why you should have access to changes in your log, as you know you didn't do anything wrong,.... You had merely entered into the wrong column. You shouldn't've had to waste your time for another half-hour.

Line 3 is Driving,....and I guess that's hooked to the speedometer. If the wheels are rolling, you've got to be driving . What would concern me, Brother, is management's ability to change something that, by law, you are ultimately responsible for, and will affix your electronic signature to. Only you should be allowed to make corrections. Your inadvertent break is a good example of why you should have access to changes in your log, as you know you didn't do anything wrong,.... You had merely entered into the wrong column. You shouldn't've had to waste your time for another half-hour.

I agree, it should only be the driver that can adjust his own logs. I know most truckload carriers that run Elogs can adjust their own logs. I was frustrated to have to sit for an additional 30 minutes, but am at least glad it only cost me 30 minutes of time and not actual money. I was able to complete the run.

I agree, it should only be the driver that can adjust his own logs. I know most truckload carriers that run Elogs can adjust their own logs. I was frustrated to have to sit for an additional 30 minutes, but am at least glad it only cost me 30 minutes of time and not actual money. I was able to complete the run.
Saia safety mgr has to adjust our errors. Drove 254 miles on duty "in yard". Oops.

Saia safety mgr has to adjust our errors. Drove 254 miles on duty "in yard". Oops.
Well,
.....It's probably quicker for your supervisor to do it on the main computer. But I'm sure you do know that ultimately we are responsible for the logs. The ability to "fix" electronic logs by supervision may,....in some unscrupulous cases,.....result in a tired driver being told he has a lot more hours to run than he thought he did,........because someone...."fixed"....his logs. Remember when they first came out with the 34 hour re-start. That was supposed to be used voluntarily, to extend a driver's tour so he could get home instead of laying off-duty 100 miles from home for two days until he gained enough hours. Within six months, every truckload carrier out there had figured to the minute when a driver could take his 34 hour re-start, so he would actually have the ability to work 84 hours in an 8 day period The truckload carriers started forcing guys to use that,....eliminating the "voluntary" part,....and in the process, defeating any safety measure that could've been gained by using the 34 hour re-start. I'd hate to see electronic logs be used in a similar way by having management telling you how many hours you have to run, instead of the driver keeping a paper tally. Logs,.......way back in 1938,....were developed for safety, to protect the driver from unscrupulous slave-driving companies,.....Which,....as we all know,.....don't exist anymore in the enlightened 21st century.......

Well,
.....It's probably quicker for your supervisor to do it on the main computer. But I'm sure you do know that ultimately we are responsible for the logs. The ability to "fix" electronic logs by supervision may,....in some unscrupulous cases,.....result in a tired driver being told he has a lot more hours to run than he thought he did,........because someone...."fixed"....his logs. Remember when they first came out with the 34 hour re-start. That was supposed to be used voluntarily, to extend a driver's tour so he could get home instead of laying off-duty 100 miles from home for two days until he gained enough hours. Within six months, every truckload carrier out there had figured to the minute when a driver could take his 34 hour re-start, so he would actually have the ability to work 84 hours in an 8 day period The truckload carriers started forcing guys to use that,....eliminating the "voluntary" part,....and in the process, defeating any safety measure that could've been gained by using the 34 hour re-start. I'd hate to see electronic logs be used in a similar way by having management telling you how many hours you have to run, instead of the driver keeping a paper tally. Logs,.......way back in 1938,....were developed for safety, to protect the driver from unscrupulous slave-driving companies,.....Which,....as we all know,.....don't exist anymore in the enlightened 21st century.......
Agree. Just sharing. Don't know anyone here that's pushed to (& certainly not over) hour limits.

Well,

A truckload carrier I used to work for wouldn't allow us to voluntarily take a 34 hour reset, we had to run out of hours completely, or be assigned a low mileage run (usually on a weekend) with lots of time on it to get a reset in route.

Our system (Peoplenet) automatically sends out a message to our computer when our logs are adjusted for any reason, and the name of the person doing the adjusting, so there's no way anyone can monkey with our logs to force us to work more.

If you are claiming Perdeium the IRS can ask for logs to show proof of being out of town, maybe that's what he's talking about??
You do not need logs only a record of your days traveled., logs are just convenient for drivers, if you were a salesman or construction worker you would not have logs. IRS says you need a record not logs.