E-logs

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by icedriver, May 18, 2017.

1. CCXdriver

CCXdriver Well-Known Member

He could probably do that, of course he'd need to punch out of Kronos at the corresponding time.

In other words, he would take his lunch.

icuicp likes this.
  2. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

I also talk to another LTL carrier and he has a cut time for his p&d I think he said 0830. Whatever isnt on the truck by then goes out the next day. He said he rarely miss a delivery or a pickup and has his lunch in by 1300.
    I think we need to start parking late freight at the FAC and have cut times at the FAC.

ole man likes this.
  3. Bloodwidow

Bloodwidow Member

What the company should do is have cut times at terminals. If inbound isn't done by 30 minutes after the last start time just kick everyone out to the street and sit the freight not broken. Been there when inbound finishes up at noon or later and runs leave with 8 to 10 stops and a hour stem time to first stop. It make no sense. We work all the freight and bring back stops just to say every piece hit the street.

ole man likes this.
  4. Ump

Ump Big Dave's and Billy Lo's love child.

If it goes by seconds then your clock starts at 0:00. Therefore a 30 minute break would actually be 30 plus the time it takes to log back on duty.

5. freightman68

freightman68 Rightwing_extremist

I don't know why, but at OD if you don't take 31 minutes it doesn't count as your break.

6. Ump

I punch that sucker as soon as it turns to 30. Never been talked to about it. I'm not spending one more minute then I need too.

7. freightman68

freightman68 Rightwing_extremist

Wow ok....everyone I know that's don't that has had problems....I've never chanced it and I've always done 31

Ump likes this.
  8. WHO KNOWS105

WHO KNOWS105 ASK ALICE

FAC'S do have "Cut Times" and the E-Logs are great. Very Easy. Log in and drive, if you have to take lunch then log off. That is it. By the way you DO NOT have to hit Enable Yard Unless you are close on your 11hr drive time. That is all it is for.

icuicp likes this.
  9. Dracula

Dracula Well-Known Member

I love the e-log. I protect my drive hours as much as possible by hitting the yard enable function as soon as I get to the yard and for as long as I am on the yard. One thing you need to keep in the truck is a book of paper logs. If the e-log goes down and you don't have a paper log to log your time, you can get a ticket. Also, my company has always required each truck to have a users guide for the e-log. If you get stopped and do not have a user guide, you can get a ticket for that as well.

00mustang, dalesr and icuicp like this.
  10. Serene Gene

Serene Gene Well-Known Member

Then he's falsifying the log twice- not showing the lunch when he takes it (or not taking it all), and showing a lunch while he's clocked into Kronos. That's the kind of thing that comes back to haunt you later.

highspeeds likes this.
  11. Serene Gene

The clock starts when you punch off duty- so unless you punch at exactly midnight, it won't be 00:00:00.

The problem is that you can't see the seconds, so if you go off-duty at 1:00:45, and then go back on at 1:30:30, it looks like you've taken 30 minutes to you but the computer sees that you've only taken 29 minutes and 45 seconds. Taking an extra minute prevents being short on seconds.

12. Serene Gene

He rarely misses a delivery? What about all that freight that gets parked on the fence? If you paid for Amazon Prime, and your packages consistently showed up in 3 days instead of 2 so a driver could take his lunch at 1pm, you might reconsider paying for that service.

icuicp likes this.
  13. 00mustang

00mustang JUST LIVING THE DREAM

Good advice Dracula our company same way when they installed the e-logs they put the user guide in the permit book along with a paper log. I was stopped just the other day first thing he asked for was my log's and checked for user guide and paper log before he even asked for license and dot card,

14. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

In the upper right hand corner of the EOBR there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it letting you know that 30 minutes hasn't past yet. Once it goes away pull the brakes and put it in gear.

Rollin, dalesr, icuicp and 1 other person like this.
  15. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

Maybe I should have said " he deliveries ALL the freight that is on his truck when he leaves and rarely bring any freight he has to delivery back dues to miss delivery times". Ok lets talk about Amazon Prime. 1. you pay and extra fee to be a member and shipping is free. 2. They have a cut time on the order. 3. not everything is on there site is eligible for prime service. 4. there are no receiving hour at you house the package just has to be there that day even if it is at 8pm or later.
    We have standard transit times and do not guarantee those transit times. We do have a guarantee service which they pay extra for and if we don't meet that service then it free.
    I have seen 12 stop P&D runs having all but one skid that could leave at 9am being told to wait on one skid and leaving the yard at 1100. Then at the end of the day they return with 3 or 4 of there deliveries. So tell me what sense did that make holding a truck for a non guaranteed skid just to take 3 or 4 stops for a ride? Sometime you could throw it on a later run but with the lack of trucks to drive and the amount of freight the high ups what on the trucks there is no were to put it. So parking that one skid on the fence would have saved a lot of headaches, paperwork, and labor cost of handling the returned freight again and also increasing the chance of damaging it.

16. Serene Gene

Then what's the point of having transit times? We're not talking about weather or accidents, we're talking about operational decisions- why would someone use XPO when they could go to CT or YRC and pay less for the same, "We'll get it there at our convenience" service?

In that case, I would agree with you- but there's a difference between addressing situations like that when they come up and making it a policy to park freight at a certain time. I think that'd be bad for business.

CCXdriver likes this.
  17. Ump

Mine counts my minute as I sit. I'm not saying your lunch starts at 0:00 just the timer. Therefore if your 30 minute break counts up from 0:00 to 30 as soon as that timer hits 30 you're okay.

18. trucknfool

trucknfool Well-Known Member

Once again, as having been said, it is best practice to let the break clock go until 31 minutes, 29 minutes and 59 seconds will not count. Remember that you are on a Electronic device where as it counts seconds also . It will count exactly down to the second from when you log off duty. Example is if yo log off at 1:05 pm and the actual time is 1:05 and 20 seconds your full break will not count unless you wait until 1:35 and 20 seconds. It is easier to wait until that extra minute goes by to make sure that the break is locked in. If not, plan on taking another 31 minute break and eventually you'll learn not to log back on duty at 30 minutes

Ump likes this.
  19. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

I do not use elogs ( yet ) so what I am learning is what is shared with me by others and not from experience.

Is it true that at XPO you cannot do a 16 hour day with elogs?

20. Serene Gene

No, you can still use 16 hour rule, adverse driving, and 100 mile exemption. Just push a button.

highspeeds and trucknfool like this.