R&L | eastern region

I dont think of this site as a Bash R/L site, I think of it as a place to compare notes to see what happens in all four corners of the company. We are a strong minded lot that has sacrificed alot for this company during their early days and are quite frankly disgusted at the current direction of the company.

I for one will not move on if I dont like what is happening, I will do everything I can to make things better.

And that means burning the blinders.....

Well lets see how bad we have it at our barn... We go out full... Come back full... Don't miss our pickups... Service is 98.7 % No one is really killing themselves.. We all are green / green in our numbers.. Yet some of us have to listen to lil kids cry cuz they don't have "their" run or "their" truck... I think truck I drive says R&L on it? And I think the DR's I get in the morning say R&L on them? Not sure what the griping is for?

Oh and shadowr... Nice message you sent... As you explained if I shut my mouth I can stay however if I voice my mind I wont be allowed? Sounds like your running a bash R&L site to me?

you are obviously some form of management and thats perfectly fine to post here and voice your opinion.
its just a joke that you are so proud of your position you have to try to act like a driver to try to get your feelings out there.
nice try lil feller.
now is that a promise that you wont be coming back? cam we hold you to that?
i hope so because you obviously arent mature enough to hold a discussion without getting all angry and calling people names(words hurt you know) so you are prob better just moving on
buh bye

It would be nice to return to the simple days of making all our deliveries and not missing pickups. But at my barn, they are dead set on seeing how many drivers they can
keep at home everyday.They hold deliveries and miss several pickups everyday. We have some customers that want us to drop a trailer to load and/or give us alot more freight but our TM said we can't do it because it "will not print".
He is under constant pressure from his boss about the numbers and that's all that matters anymore, not getting more business or taking care of our customers.....

Last edited by a moderator:
If R&L continues on the path that it is on, only worrying about numbers, with out regard for the customers or the hard working employee's, then its days are surely numbered..

What a shame,this company, this once fine company,a company that I was proud to work for 18 years,being systematically destroyed by incompetence from Wilmington.

I have a lot of friends still working there, trying to see some glimmer of hope, hoping things will change, but realizing there probably not going to.

I agree with 'lean on it". You guys just like to ***** and complain. The only thing you provide is entertainment to anybody who reads this.

Well lets see how bad we have it at our barn... We go out full... Come back full... Don't miss our pickups... Service is 98.7 % No one is really killing themselves.. We all are green / green in our numbers.. Yet some of us have to listen to lil kids cry cuz they don't have "their" run or "their" truck... I think truck I drive says R&L on it? And I think the DR's I get in the morning say R&L on them? Not sure what the griping is for?

Oh and shadowr... Nice message you sent... As you explained if I shut my mouth I can stay however if I voice my mind I wont be allowed? Sounds like your running a bash R&L site to me?

I am happy for you that you have it pretty good at your term and I wish I was where ever you are, but I cannot say the same at my term. I wish I could, the local management is horrible and MJ is the worst part.

Not at all. You are using your voice here to tell others to shut up. Im just saying that if thats all you can say then dont say annything at all. I told you everyone has a right to discuss their issues with things here. Your issue is with everyone here. By the way, caling out a moderator is against the forum rules. Do it again and ill give you time to talk to youself.

If R&L continues on the path that it is on, only worrying about numbers, with out regard for the customers or the hard working employee's, then its days are surely numbered..

What a shame,this company, this once fine company,a company that I was proud to work for 18 years,being systematically destroyed by incompetence from Wilmington.

I have a lot of friends still working there, trying to see some glimmer of hope, hoping things will change, but realizing there probably not going to.

I guess Wal-MArt does'nt worry about numbers. They all do. Every Trucking/Logistics company run by the numbers or they won't be around. You can't work and make decisions base don gut or feelings you have to have data to back it up. Ask your Wal-mart manager how they run their business.I know what your anser would be.

I agree with 'lean on it". You guys just like to ***** and complain. The only thing you provide is entertainment to anybody who reads this.

Last year I made $12,000 less than previous years, During a period in 2012 I was able to receive food stamps because of the amount of hours and pay I had lost. I started getting multiple days off each week since Jan 2012 and I sold everything I could to meet my mortgage payments as well as worked a seasonal part time job last fall. So some of us do deserve to "b and complain" when we get lip service from our TM's and from Willmington but we see the opposite happening.

you need to work on reading comprehension.........which means you read things and dont know what they mean.
read the posts you speak of and i can bet the house there are more people offering constructive criticisms than actual babble/complaining.
i love guys like you who dont think an employee has the right to have a problem with what goes on at the workplace. why? should we just be happy to work and go along with every mistake that is made d watch as things get worse? no!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHAT KILLS COMPANIES!!!!
wake up and understand most of us NEED THIS COMPANY TO SUCCEED!!! stop being so blind/righteous and listen to what we are saying. we are trying to make it better. some of whats being done here is ridiculous, and its costing us customers.
dont they teach you that at management school????????????

I guess Wal-MArt does'nt worry about numbers. They all do. Every Trucking/Logistics company run by the numbers or they won't be around. You can't work and make decisions base don gut or feelings you have to have data to back it up. Ask your Wal-mart manager how they run their business.I know what your anser would be.

the numbers are costing us customers-you push guys back later in the morning to make the numbers look good to cut down on driver salary. the result- no time to make every pick up the driver has. lost business.
you look at the bill count in the morning and you call drivers at 7am and tell them to stay home to cut down on driver salary. you miss pick ups. thats not business smart is it?
dont tell me that doesnt happen. it happens daily.
common sense is always better than good numbers. missing pick ups is the best way to lose a customer. you lose the customer you lose that revenue.
thats not good business.
is not gut feelings. its the fact that alot of us have EXPERIENCE in this industry and we know what has to be done to make r&l the company it should be. the numbers game is hurting us and if you dont see that you are clueless. numbers help a company when they are used properly.
heres a number for ya. we dont buy new trucks for the most part anymore. we buy used ones with 300-500k on them. they constantly break down. that costs money. they are brutal on fuel. that costs money. while new trucks do cost more, the long term works out to be more economical with little to no maintenance and much better fuel economy. make sense?
oh let me guess, i just want a new truck because i wana ride around in a new truck right? and cause the air works better too.
i get it

The best way to get real time data is to actually meet face to face with our customers. Listen to their concerns and actually try to provide the service that made this company a great LTL in the first place.

I think that this micro managing of TMs is ruining this company. It takes all the risk taking out of the picture.

Guess what? That what made us great in the first place.

The best way to get real time data is to actually meet face to face with our customers. Listen to their concerns and actually try to provide the service that made this company a great LTL in the first place.

I think that this micro managing of TMs is ruining this company. It takes all the risk taking out of the picture.

Guess what? That what made us great in the first place.

you are missing the biggest point. green numbers mean bonus dollars for the big guys. makes no difference if you miss p/us or lose customers the more green numbers you have the more bonus money they get. in laymans terms, the less you get the more they make, they dont deal with the customer nor do they care

You can't be serious, comparing the way R&L Carries is run, to the way Walmart Transportation is run....

Obviously, there is a difference in how the two companies manage numbers and apply them to their business....

Walmart seems obsesed with cutting costs to improve the lives of their customers, while providing excellent pay, equipment, and working conditions..

R&L seems obsesed with cutting labor at the expense of the customers, not buying new equipment, allowing their facility's to run down, to the point that they are a disgrace. They do not care that you drive junk, don't care about your working conditions, and would just as soon you quit, if you are topped out in pay and benefits..

R&L management has no respect for their employee's, and see's long term safe drivers as a liability, where Walmart see's long term safe drivers as an asset.

Everytime a long term employee at R&L leaves, they are jumping for joy because of the 4 weeks of vacation they won't have to pay out anymore, and that goes into the pocket of Zimmerman and Roby, and they can hire someone with no experience in at half the pay..

I now drive a 2012 Freightliner Cascadia, at R&L, I drove a 1997 International that was junk...

At R&L, I was pushed from the time I clocked in, until usually 14 hours later to hurry, while driving that nasty piece of junk...At Walmart, I work at my own pace, and have come very close to doubling my income..

Yes they both look at numbers, but how they manage the data is the difference...R&L is focused only on profits for the ones in Wilmington, Walmart is focused on how to best serve their customers, and realize by doing that, that the profits will be there..

Defend R&L all you want, obviously you are in management, and no-one can tell you anything...Until you actually get out of your office, and get behing a steering wheel, and actually interact with customers, you will be in the dark and have no clue...

Richard- You must miss R+L so much that you have to keep commenting on posts in the our forum. Why don't you go to the Wal-Mart forum and tell them how great they are. We will figure things out here good and bad by current employees. You coming on here saying all the negative things abot R+L does'nt really serve a purpose. We know things are not perfect and you will find that out at Wal-Mart also. Sure things could be better at R+L but you could say that about any company. Wal-Mart does take advantage of their employees. Ask the people who work in the stores. They only buy products from China for nothing and sell it to us for huge profits. I would say most of R+L income comes from U.S companies that employees U.S workers. Anyway, RH let us know when you are bashing Wal-Mart so we can good a good laugh reading your comments.

Richard- You must miss R+L so much that you have to keep commenting on posts in the our forum. Why don't you go to the Wal-Mart forum and tell them how great they are. We will figure things out here good and bad by current employees. You coming on here saying all the negative things abot R+L does'nt really serve a purpose. We know things are not perfect and you will find that out at Wal-Mart also. Sure things could be better at R+L but you could say that about any company. Wal-Mart does take advantage of their employees. Ask the people who work in the stores. They only buy products from China for nothing and sell it to us for huge profits. I would say most of R+L income comes from U.S companies that employees U.S workers. Anyway, RH let us know when you are bashing Wal-Mart so we can good a good laugh reading your comments.

On the whole China thing: all of our birthday gifts, new child gifts, safety and service pins, mugs and EVERYTHING R+L buys and gives out is made in China. Also if you have such a problem with Wal-Mart buying stuff from China, then do not shop there. I do not shop there because of how they treat their store people and that they run local business out, and they buy a lot from china (but so does everyone else). So I will turn it around, quit complaining about it and do something about it. If you do not like it then don’t do business there.

On the whole China thing: all of our birthday gifts, new child gifts, safety and service pins, mugs and EVERYTHING R+L buys and gives out is made in China. Also if you have such a problem with Wal-Mart buying stuff from China, then do not shop there. I do not shop there because of how they treat their store people and that they run local business out, and they buy a lot from china (but so does everyone else). So I will turn it around, quit complaining about it and do something about it. If you do not like it then don’t do business there.

This is'nt a Wal-Mart Store thing. We all agree on how they treat their people and buy their products from China. This is about a past R+L employee still coming on this forum and running us down. I worked for a few other companies in the past 30 years but I don't go look for a forum so i can complain about them.

As for RH coming on here and "running us down", I think that participation in this forum is Shadow's domain....