Estes | Estes purchases 2500 YRC Trailers

I saw a few of them in STL last night that have been rebranded and in use. Has there been any official communication if we will need to remove mudflaps with these trailers? I beileve someone said something about the landing gear being moved back.
Have not heard anything but you know how communications is at Estes. Probably nothing nothing will be posted until a few hundred are ripped off. Maybe they got them fixed right to where nothing has to be done but hook and go.

Have not heard anything but you know how communications is at Estes. Probably nothing nothing will be posted until a few hundred are ripped off. Maybe they got them fixed right to where nothing has to be done but hook and go.
As a driver I usually checked for flap clearance during pre-trip when I had a twin screw. Is it really that hard for a driver to check without having to be told? :idunno: :duh:

Last edited:
As a driver I usually checked for flap clearance during pre-trip when I had a twin screw. Is it really that had for a driver to check without having to be told? :idunno: :duh:
Sometimes it looks like it will clear but when you make a turn then it gets ripped off. Looks can be deceiving.

I can check but I want official word from them, if something happens I don’t want it coming back on me.
I highly doubt anything would ever come back to you about that. Some torn up mud flaps are the least of their concerns. You gotta really destroy something big time to get papers out on you at the big E. Not that I condone needless destruction but we are all humans and things happen.

I highly doubt anything would ever come back to you about that. Some torn up mud flaps are the least of their concerns. You gotta really destroy something big time to get papers out on you at the big E. Not that I condone needless destruction but we are all humans and things happen.
Probably not, but I’ve not been here very long and plan on staying a long time. I don’t want to **** that up.

Before I left the yard I jacked my unit so I could easily see that the pin was latched properly. At the same time by doing that I made sure the flaps didn't hit. Better safe than sorry.
That’s not a bad idea. I always check my pins are latched on however many trailers I’m pulling, but I usually do it before I move the truck. That would be easier on my knees and back.

That’s not a bad idea. I always check my pins are latched on however many trailers I’m pulling, but I usually do it before I move the truck. That would be easier on my knees and back.
For sure on the knees and back and the bumped head. I learned eventually. I'll check the latches and release rod before I move into a jack but then visually check underneath that the pin is latched. I once dropped one right in front of dispatch after a hostler "hooked" me at an EOL. I make sure to check the pin itself every time after that. :smile new:

Some of the Estes yards as of now have no room available to jack a double to check , only an Estes driver can understand this , after ya drop a dolly in front of the tail , you better get back quick with the lead before someone drops a trailer and blocks the dolly

Last edited:
Some of the Estes yards as of now have no room available to jack a double to check , only an Estes driver can understand this , after ya drop a dolly in front of the tail , you better get back quick with the lead before someone drops a trailer and blocks the dolly
Some places you got put your set together in the road in the front or on the side of the terminal.

We have to take the mudflaps off on our tandems when pulling pups at FedEx Freight. Our tractors have brackets in front of the drive axles so you can hang the mudflaps there.

They brought in about 60 or more yellow trailers up to the Hagerstown yard. It was confirmed all yellow trailer will have the landing gear moved back several feet so our tandems will actually fit under them. Mechanic said it will probably take a couple days per trailer. With all the trailers they bought that's going to be some hefty mechanics pay going out.

They brought in about 60 or more yellow trailers up to the Hagerstown yard. It was confirmed all yellow trailer will have the landing gear moved back several feet so our tandems will actually fit under them. Mechanic said it will probably take a couple days per trailer. With all the trailers they bought that's going to be some hefty mechanics pay going out.
Before I worked at Estes l always wondered how a company runs with a mix of singles and tandems and the answer was what I thought , a confusing mess !